Connect with us

General

24 Professors of Micheal Okpara University of Agriculture get demoted

Published

The management of Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike, has demoted 24 professors following petitions some aggrieved persons sent to the minister of education.

Michael Okpara University of Agriculture’s spokesperson, Adamma Nwachukwu, confirmed that 24  professors have been demoted. Nwachukwu said:

“Following the outcome of the process, council directed that affected persons should revert to their proper placement.” She, however, declined to offer other details of the action, saying “the university is not exactly interested in blowing this matter out of proportion. It is an internal procedure and was not targeted at demoting or promoting anybody, but rather at ensuring proper placement of all affected staff and not just Professors.”

From documents sent to the news platform, Alphonsus Odo Ovute of the Department of Science Education; Melody Ndidi Modebelu of the Department of Educational Management; Gideon Ahamefula Emerole of the Department of Business Administration; Ogwo Patrick Agwu of the Department of Environmental Management and Technology; Aso Vincent Ele of the Department of Mathematics and Joy Chinwe Obunadike of the Department of Adult and Continuing Education were among the Professors demoted to Senior Lecturers.

MORE READING!  I'll quit social media on my wedding, cut off my friends, so I can enjoy my marriage- Nigerian lady says

It was further gathered that the University authorities made new demands from the affected lecturers, following the outcome of an investigative panel.

Prof. Odo Ovute is said to have been asked to provide his First School Leaving and NYSC certificates, as well as explain fully, his career activities between the year 2010 and 2012 with evidence.

MORE READING!  How my church kicked me out after divorcing my husband- Big Brother star, Varner narrates

General

Nigerian woman, 24, acquitted of $291,000 online scam in Canada

Published

on

A 24-year-old Nigerian woman who was standing trial in Canada for alleged $291,000 online scam in 2019 has been acquitted of the said crime.

According to reports, Kaosiso Ezibe was charged after a woman reported she was defrauded by someone she met online.

Police say that a 60-year-old woman met someone claiming to be a wealthy architect living in Toronto through an online dating website.

MORE READING!  Kaduna killings: CAN charges El-Rufai to take action

Between February and March, the woman allegedly started an online relationship with the architect, conversing through emails, text messages and phone calls.

According to police, the wealthy architect was a fabricated identity.

Kaosiso Ezibe has, however, been pronounced discharged and acquitted of the said crime.

Continue Reading

Coronavirus

Three government ministers in Gambia test positive for Covid-19

Published

on

Three ministers in Gambia’s government have tested positive for the coronavirus, officials said, days after the West African nation’s president went into self-isolation.

President Adama Barrow said last week he would self-isolate for two weeks after Vice President Isatou Touray tested positive.

Finance Minister Mambureh Njie, Petroleum and Energy Minister Fafa Sanyang and Agriculture Minister Amie Fabureh “have tested positive” for the virus, the presidency said in a tweet on Sunday.

MORE READING!   Namibia closes schools for second time in four months as coronavirus cases surge

According to AFP, Health authorities in the former British colony of some two million people have recorded 498 coronavirus cases to date, with nine fatalities since its first case was reported in March.

The Gambia closed air and land borders in March. It has also restricted public transport, shut schools and markets, and made face masks compulsory.

MORE READING!  How my church kicked me out after divorcing my husband- Big Brother star, Varner narrates

But as with other poor countries in the region, there are fears that the tiny nation is ill-equipped for a large outbreak.

 

Continue Reading

General

Kaduna killings: CAN charges El-Rufai to take action

Published

on

Nasir El-Rufai

The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), South East Chapter, has urged the authorities to ensure security of lives and property in Kaduna.

The South East CAN Chairman, Bishop Goddy Okafor, made the call in Aba on Sunday while addressing newsmen on the persistent bloodbath in Southern Kaduna.

Okafor, of the Glorious Gospel Centre, Aba, Abia, said that failure to stop the killings in the state was creating fears in the minds of citizens about their safety in their own country.

“The killings going on in Southern Kaduna are very disturbing.

“We are one people and we believe we are one nation, but for these persistent killings going on in Southern Kaduna to keep occurring without drastic measures to stop it is very disturbing.

“These people that are being killed in Kaduna are Nigerians.

“Governments and security agencies owe it as a duty to protect them.

The protection of lives and property is the responsibility of the government.

“Every time there are killings, some bandits are blamed.

“So, we keep asking, these bandits are they really human beings or spirits?”

He said that Nigeria is a great nation with a future if well-governed. He noted that if citizens should wallow in doubt of their citizenship rights, it would not benefit the country.

MORE READING!  Lagos restaurants reopen for dine-in services Aug 14

Okafor urged governments to clear any doubt in the minds of Nigerians about the source of the killings by stopping them.

The cleric urged the Kaduna Gov. Nasir el Rufai to do all in his powers to curb the killings in the state.

Okafor also urged Police authorities to ensure their men did more intelligence gathering.

MORE READING!  Kaduna killings: CAN charges El-Rufai to take action

He warned that incidences as killings, banditry, should not continue if Nigeria was to know peace and security.

The bishop further spoke about the health challenges in the country and pleaded with medical personnel planning to leave the country to jettison the idea.

He stressed that the development, if not halted, would endanger Nigeria’s healthcare system.

MORE READING!  Police arrest 27 rape suspects in Bauchi

He, therefore, urged the government to provide what the professionals needed to perform creditably and to enjoy their work in order to discourage their emigration.

“If we lose all our good hands when we are sick, who will take care of us?

“Government should listen to NMA and keep the best doctors we have with us here,” he said.

Okafor expressed dismay at the rate at which Nigerian youth engaged in cultism and other crimes.

He reiterated the need for Nigerian youth to be given a sense of direction in life through job creation.

Continue Reading




Trending