Connect with us

General

40-year-old man commits suicide in Kano

Published

sentenced to death boy crush

40-year-old man, Femi Oguntumi, was on Friday found hanged to a ceiling fan in his room at Dakata Quarters Kano.

Oguntumi was a staff of Karish College in Kawaji area of Kano and there has been no indication yet as to what led to the incident.

However, the police say they have launched a discreet investigation to determine whether it was suicide or not.

MORE READING!  Stay away from women who depend on you to pay their bills- Nigerian doctor advises men

Abdullahi Haruna, the Police Public Relations Officer in Kano state, said in a statement on Saturday in Kano that the police received information on the incident at about 8:15 p.m on Friday.

He said that the body of the deceased was discovered hanged with a rope tied to a ceiling fan in his room in what looked like a suicide.

“On reaching the scene of the incident the police found his lifeless body and was rushed to Murtala Muhammad Specialist Hospital Kano where he was confirmed dead.

“The corpse of the deceased had been deposited at the said hospital.”

Haruna added that Police Commissioner Ahmed Iliyasu has ordered that discrete investigation be carried out to find out the cause of the unfortunate incident.

MORE READING!  Microsoft set to replace journalists with robots

NAN

Coronavirus

Covid-19: Libya reports 12 new cases, toll now 168

Published

on

Covid-19: Libya reports 12 new cases, toll now 168

The National Centre for Disease Control of Libya has reported 12 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the caseload in the country to 168, with 52 recoveries and five deaths.

In a statement late Monday, the centre said it received a total of 658 suspected cases, 646 of whom tested negative and 12 positives.

MORE READING!  Family confirm Kabba Chief Imam died of coronavirus

All the new infections are in southern Libya, the centre said.

The southern city of Sabha recorded nearly half of the total number of COVID-19 cases in the North African country in less than a week after the announcement of the first case in the city.

READ ALSO: COVID-19: Final year students may write exams in July; bars, clubs and gym remain closed

The UN-backed government in the capital Tripoli recently decided to ban the entry into and exit from Sabha and imposed a 24-hour curfew for seven days starting from May 28, in order to fight the pandemic.

MORE READING!  Drivers exchange blow at Berger area of Abuja (Photos)

The Libyan authorities have taken a series of protective measures against the virus, including closing the country’s borders, mosques and schools, banning public gatherings and imposing curfews.

 

 

 

 

NAN

Continue Reading

General

Medical doctor jokes about rape, says women should ‘wear agbada or caftan’ [See WhatsApp Chat]

Published

on

teacher pupil

A Twitter user has shared screenshots of her chat with a medical doctor. The screenshots show him joking about rape and blaming it on the way women dress.

In the chat, the doctor suggested that women should “wear agbada or caftan” to prevent rape.

He added that “many times they attract it to themselves.”

MORE READING!  Poland resumes domestic flights

When asked if he understands what rape means he joked that it’s “the act when a female seduces a male to have an erection, then she runs away.”

A number of shocking posts have been shared defending rapists since the rape and murder of Uwa Omozuwa in a church.

However, having a doctor join in defending rape has shocked Twitter users and they wondered how safe his patients are around him.

MORE READING!  Congo declares new Ebola epidemic

Continue Reading

General

Congo declares new Ebola epidemic

Published

on

The Democratic Republic of Congo declared a new Ebola epidemic on Monday in the western city of Mbandaka, more than 1,000 km (620 miles) away from an ongoing outbreak of the same deadly virus in the east.

Health Minister Eteni Longondo said four people who died in Mbandaka were confirmed as positive cases following testing at the national biomedical laboratory in the capital Kinshasa.

“We have a new Ebola epidemic in Mbandaka,” Longondo told reporters. “We are going to very quickly send them the vaccine and medicine.”

The outbreak was confirmed by World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who tweeted: “This outbreak is a reminder that #COVID19 is not the only health threat people face.”

MORE READING!  Poland resumes domestic flights

Congo has been struggling to put an end to a nearly two-year-old Ebola outbreak near its eastern borders with Rwanda and Uganda, which has killed more than 2,200 people, the world’s second-deadliest outbreak of the disease on record.

It was days away in April from declaring the end of that outbreak, its tenth since the virus was discovered in 1976, when a new chain of infection was confirmed in the east. However, no new cases have been detected there in over 30 days.

MORE READING!  Family confirm Kabba Chief Imam died of coronavirus

Reuters

Continue Reading




Trending