Connect with us

News

45 days detention: Falana seeks date for hearing in Sowore’s application

Published

Sowore expelled

Human rights lawyer, Mr Femi Falana, SAN, on Thursday, prayed the Federal High Court, Abuja, to give him a date for hearing in his application regarding Mr Omoyele Sowore’s, Convener, #RevolutionNow protests detention.

Sowore. who is presently in detention had, on Aug 9, approached the Federal High Court, Abuja, seeking an order to vacate the ex parte order that gave the Department of State Service (DSS) the legal backing to detain him for 45 days.

Justice Taiwo Taiwo, in a ruling on Aug. 8 in an exparte application, ordered Sowore’s detention for the said period to enable the DSS to carry out and conclude its investigation on allegations levied against him.

The DSS had also, on Tuesday, challenged the court order, allowing it to detain Sowore for 45 days against its request of 90 days pending investigation.

Sowore, who is the publisher of SaharaReporters and Presidential Candidate, African Action Congress (AAC) in the Feb. 2019 general elections, was arrested in the early hours of Aug. 4 by the operatives of the DSS in a hotel in Lagos.

MORE READING!  Governor Bala defends appointment of SA on unmarried women

He was moved to Abuja on Aug. 4.

The state agency said Sowore was arrested on account of the #RevolutionNow protest which he had spearheaded.

However, in a motion on notice, brought pursuant to sections 6 (6) (B), 35 and 36(4) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 as amended, section 293 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015 and under the jurisdiction of the court, Sowore asked the court to vacate the order on the grounds that the order was made in violation of his full rights.

The motion filed on Aug. 9 by Falana, was predicated on 18 grounds and supported by a 24 paragraphs affidavit deposed to by one Marshall Abubakar.

MORE READING!  NDDC writes Nunieh, demands refund of N1.96bn in seven days

However, Falana, who arrived in Court 10 during the court session at about 1. 05 p.m. on Thursday, walked to the back seat.

He was not in his lawyer’s attire.

No sooner had he sat down than Justice Taiwo called his name: “Mr Falana, anything? You are not in your robe.”

The human rights lawyer stood up, walked to the aile, bowed his head and said: “My Lord, I am here in respect of the motion we filed last Friday (Aug. 9).”

The judge said: “I saw it and the reason I have not done anything is that I am ending my own vacation sitting tomorrow (Friday).

“Have you served them (the DSS)?”

“We served them since last week,” Falana, who was visibly unhappy, responded.

He, however, asked if the judge could hear the motion the next day (Friday).

MORE READING!  NUPENG orders tanker drivers to withdraw services in Lagos

Justice Taiwo, who appealed to Falana to exercise patience to decide on the case he was handling suggested they meet in his chamber to discuss fixing the date for the hearing.

And as soon as the judge was done with the case, he rose and Falana joined him in the office.

After few minutes, Falana came out and the newsmen approached him.

Although he declined to grant an interview, the lawyer: “We filed our motion since last week and it had not been heard but the DSS filed its own and within 48 hours, it was heard.”

He, however, told the journalists that their motion on notice would be heard next week by another judge.

“Another judge will take over on Monday and we will get the date from the judge,” he said.

(NAN)

News

Over five million applicants applied for N-Power batch-c enrollment- Minister

Published

on

The Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs Disaster Management and Social Development has said that over five million applicants have registered for the Batch C N-Power that has closed on Sunday 9th of August, 2020.

The Honorable Minister, Sadiya Umar Farouq disclosed this through the SA Strategic Communication, Halima Oyelade that the registration which commenced on the 26th of June 2020 was initially scheduled to end on the 26th of July but the Ministry extended the date by two weeks to avail those that were unable to do so to apply.

MORE READING!  NUPENG orders tanker drivers to withdraw services in Lagos

A total of 5,042,001 Nigerian youths have applied as at the end of the exercise.

Farouq said she wishes to officially inform the general public that registration of Batch C of N-Power has closed on Sunday 9th of August, 2020 and reassured Nigerians that due diligence will be applied during the next stages of the selection to ensure that only duly qualified applicants are enrolled.

MORE READING!  Yahoo boys have become role models in Nigeria – Diezani Madueke (Video)

The Ministry will ensure that the applicants, as well as the general public, are kept fully informed on the progress of the scheme.

Adding that the N-Power program is aimed to provide the Nigerian youths with opportunities to gain skills for employability and entrepreneurship which will also go a long way in assisting the country towards the post-Covid-19 economic recovery.

MORE READING!  FG evacuates 325 Nigerians from US in sixth special flight

She added that women and persons with disability will be prioritized during the selection.

She said that her Ministry remains committed to the vision of President Muhammadu Buhari to lift 100 Hundred million Nigerians out of Poverty in the next l0 years and identified the N-power as one of the platforms that can assist in the realization of that vision.

Continue Reading

News

441 first-class graduates apply to teach in Oyo

Published

on

The Chairman, Oyo State Teaching Service Commission, Pastor Akinade Alamu, has said no fewer than 441 First-Class graduates from different fields applied to teach in the state public schools.

WuzupNigeria reports that the applicants began writing the computer-based test that commenced in Ibadan on Tuesday. The test ends on Saturday.

Alamu made the disclosure during the inspection of the exercise at the University of Ibadan CBT hall.

Alamu said the interest of the First Class candidates in teaching service portended significant turnaround for the education sector in the state, as the present administration in the state would ensure the judicious application of available resources.

MORE READING!  Yahoo boys have become role models in Nigeria – Diezani Madueke (Video)

He said,

“We are happy to have the best applicants, especially the First-Class graduates taking part in this exercise. The government of Oyo State is desirous of lifting education to a higher level so that we will have as much as the best among our applicants.

“We want to bring back the pride attached to teaching in the old, it is the best profession and if we have the best hands joining, it is a good omen.

“The scores at the interview level will place applicants higher. We have a mark for NCE, we have different mark for graduates and there is a higher mark for First-Class. This shows that the whole thing will be based on merit.

“The present government is concerned with the upliftment of education in the state. This is why we decided that before we appoint anybody as teacher, such a person must be qualified, competent and ready to work in line with the passion of the governor for education. I believe this will raise the standard of education in the state and will catapult the performance rating of our state to the first three.”

He said the distribution of compendium of past questions of subjects, the intervention classes and the distribution of books among others were indicative of a state that always planned.

MORE READING!  FG evacuates 325 Nigerians from US in sixth special flight
Continue Reading

News

Boko Haram no longer in North-East, remaining Borno, Buratai discloses

Published

on

Tukur Buratai, the Chief of Army Staff has disclosed that Boko Haram terrorists have been pushed out of all the north-eastern states except Borno State.

This disclosure was made by the Chief of Army Staff during a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari and Governors from the North-East states on Monday, August 10.

Buratai further disclosed that troops are sharing intelligence to rout the insurgents out of Borno.

MORE READING!  NDDC writes Nunieh, demands refund of N1.96bn in seven days

According to a statement released by  Garba Shehu, the Presidential spokesperson, Buratai reportedly said;

“There are no Boko Haram terrorists in neighbouring states. They have been pushed out, and now cornered in Borno State. 

“We are coordinating with civil and traditional authorities, mobilising and reinforcing and all we need is patience. We will not relent.”

 

MORE READING!  NUPENG orders tanker drivers to withdraw services in Lagos
Continue Reading




Trending