Connect with us

General

57 health workers contract Covid-19 in Plateau- Official

Published

health workers

The Commissioner for Health in Plateau, Dr Nimkong Lar,  has said that 57 health workers were infected with COVID-19 in the course of their legitimate duties in various health centres in the state.

Lar stated this at a press briefing after an executive council meeting on Wednesday in Jos.

He said that they were workers managing COVID-19 patients in primary health centres, hospitals and private clinics across the state.

According to him, the state has a total of 571 confirmed cases with a record of 28 cases on Tuesday, which is the highest recorded so far.

“We have conducted 9,039 test, we have 7,324 results and 1,715 pending while 571 are confirmed cases.

”132 are on admission in four treatment centres, 260 discharged and we have recorded 16 deaths,” the commissioner said.

He noted that the state was organising community testing in the 17 Local Government Areas which was voluntary, adding that it had scheduled conducting a test for the government and Non-Governmental Organisations.

MORE READING!  You can survive domestic violence and be happy, Nigerian woman shares her story

Also speaking, the Commissioner for Information and Communication, Mr Dan Manjang said that government would take disciplinary action against civil servants who refused to submit themselves for COVID-19 test.

Manjang said that the exercise which was supposed to be voluntary has been made compulsory for them.

He said that refusal to comply was a sign of insubordination which the Head of Service of the state has been mandated to handle appropriately.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Air Peace sacks 70 pilots

He urged the public not to stigmatise people submitting themselves for the test, saying it was not a death sentence as many patients had recovered from the disease.

Manjang further said that the executive meeting reviewed the 2020 budget downward, following the current pandemic and that the federal allocation and the internally generated revenue had been affected.

“The budget was formerly N177.3 billion but scaled down to N99,907 billion to make it realistic,” he said.

Also, Commissioner for Budget and Economic Planning, Mr Sylvester Wallangko, explained that the revised budget was in compliance with the directive to ensure that a minimum of 10 per cent budget expenditure was COVID-19 related.

“We have earmarked 11.29 per cent of our expenditure spread between the recurrent and capital expenditure on COVID-19 related issues which is N11.25 billion,” Wallangko said.

 

MORE READING!  Bristow Helicopters sacks 100 pilots and engineers

General

Troops raid pirates, militants camp, kill six in Bayelsa

Published

on

The Defence Headquarters says the troops of Operation DELTA SAFE, on Tuesday, in Bayelsa, raided the Pirates/Militants’ camp and Kidnappers’ hideouts, eliminating six criminals.

The Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. John Enenche disclosed this in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja.

Enenche said the troops, acting on credible intelligence, monitored movements of a suspected pirate/sea gang leader, who had sneaked into town from Port Harcourt, in the company of another known notorious kidnapper.

He explained that the troops thereafter raided the pirates’ camp at Tukugbene-Ayama Ijaw Local Government Area, to arrest both suspects and their gang members.

MORE READING!  Angry side chick logs into her married lover’s Facebook account, posts his family picture with ‘RIP’

According to him, upon arrival at the personal jetty of the suspect, troops met heavy resistance from harassing gunfire from pirates/militants in five boats that approached from adjoining creek.

“But the overwhelming firepower of our troops led to the forceful withdrawal of the pirates/militants, with various degrees of gunshot wounds.

“The gallant troops sustained the firefight until five of the pirates/militants were neutralized ashore.

“Furthermore, three of the attacking boats were sunk while the occupants with various degrees of gunshot wounds escaped into the river.

“In the process, troops recovered three boats from the pirates.

MORE READING!  COVID-19 test no longer a requirement for resumption of students in Ogun — Abiodun

“Additionally, our troops took over the jetty and advanced to the objective area which was empty,” he said.

Enenche said that the troops cordon off the area and conducted a search of the building where the suspects were believed to be residing and thereafter cleared the building.

He disclosed that the troops recovered three AK47 rifles with a magazine, two 200 HP Yamaha outbound engines, and three 115HP Yamaha outbound engines during the operation.

The coordinator further disclosed that troops also raided an identified hideout belonging to a notorious criminal/kidnapper and oil thief along Mbiama East-West road.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Nigeria records 288 new cases, toll now 44,129

According to him, during the operation, the troops arrested the kingpin while attempting to escape and recovered items which include a locally made pistol and cartridges.

“(The suspect) is reported to be a close ally to a notorious criminal known as VIP suspected to be one of the masterminds of the killing of 5 Battalion Soldiers around East-West road.

“The Military High Command congratulates the gallant troops for their dexterity and encourages them to remain resolute in curtailing the activities of pirates/militants in the Niger Delta region of the country,” he said.

Continue Reading

General

I’ll invoke no work, no pay rule if… Fayemi to striking doctors

Published

on

Kayode Fayemi

Ekiti State Governor, Dr Kayode Fayemi, has appealed to doctors under the aegis of National Association of Government General Medical and Dental Practitioners (NAGGMDP) to suspend their ongoing strike to prevent being forced to invoke the no work, no pay rule of the Trade Dispute Act.

The doctors had on June 30 withdrawn their services, after exhausting 28 days ultimatum issued to the government, in protest against alleged wage disparity, unpaid backlog of allowances, among other matters.

Fayemi gave the appeal on Wednesday in Ado-Ekiti, the state capital during a statewide broadcast transmitted by all broadcasting stations domiciled in the state.

The governor called on the striking doctors to suspend their action in the interest of poor citizens who could not afford to seek treatment in private hospitals, noting that while arrears of unpaid allowances can be collected, a life lost cannot be reversed.

“We can always collect arrears of unpaid allowances, but a life lost cannot be reversed. That is why I should like to call on the doctors to take the patriotic route like other health workers and the organised labour for an immediate end to the needless strike.

“I do not want to be put in a situation where I have to invoke the no work, no pay in Ekiti,” he warned.

Fayemi said he felt more worried that workers, who got promoted five years ago have not enjoyed financial benefits of such elevation, saying it wasn’t his style and intention to deprive people of their legitimate entitlements.

“I am pained in my heart that people who got promoted since about five years ago have not enjoyed the corresponding financial benefits. These are things which give me great pain and which I am absolutely committed to assuaging their feelings.”

Fayemi explained that the government was unable to pay workers’ accumulated benefits due to drastic reduction in the federal allocation.

“Ekiti had consistently received from the Federation Account, an average N3billion in the last six months with a monthly wage bill of N2.8bilion.

“Apart from the fact that our monthly received federal allocation has dropped considerably because of low crude prices and off take, our internally generated revenue has gone worse as many businesses that should pay taxes are themselves under different government supports to stay afloat.”

He, however, commended the leadership of the Joint Associations and Unions of Ekiti State HealthCare Workers and organised labour for suspending their industrial actions, assuring that all demands of workers are being looked into in line with what state resources can accommodate.

MORE READING!  Nigeria records 304 new Covid-19 cases
Continue Reading

General

Nigerian sworn in as Superior Court Judge in America

Published

on

Edirin Okoloko

Edirin Okoloko, a Nigerian, has made history with his proud representation of the country on the international scene.

Okoloko from Delta state was sworn in as a judge of the Snohomish County Superior Court in Washington DC, USA.

He’s taking over from Judge George Bowden who retired recently. According to reports, the newly sworn-in Judge bagged his law degree from the University of Benin, Nigeria.

MORE READING!  Bristow Helicopters sacks 100 pilots and engineers

He also got another degree in law from the Seattle University School of Law. Okoloko worked for 13 years a deputy prosecuting attorney in the county.

Before working as a prosecutor, the Nigerian was a judicial law clerk for a former Snohomish County, judge named Michael Downes.

Continue Reading




Trending