Connect with us

Sports

81-year-old former Inter Milan coach Luigi Simoni dies

Published

Former Inter Milan coach Luigi Simoni, winner of the UEFA Cup with a side which included the Brazilian Ronaldo, has died at the age of 81, the club said on Friday.

In all, Simoni coached over a dozen sides in Italy, some of them more than once, plus Bulgarian side CSKA Sofia in a coaching career that spanned more than 30 years.

He joined Inter before the start of the 1997-98 season at the same time they signed Ronaldo from Barcelona and led them to second place in Serie A behind Juventus and to the UEFA Cup final, where they beat Lazio 3-0.

“I learned more from Ronaldo than he did from me that season,” said Simoni, who had been ill since suffering a stroke last June.

However, he was sacked by Inter the following November after a poor run of results, on the same day that he was awarded the Panchina d’Oro award for the coach of the year.

“His way of living, both in life and football, was never over the top. His football reflected that: it was humble, functional and capable of making the most of what he had on offer,” said Inter in a statement.

“This is how we remember him: with his white hair, in our dugout, while he enjoyed the magic of Ronaldo with a smile on his face, enveloped by the fans’ affection.”

A midfielder in his playing days, he had three stints at Genoa, two at Napoli and Pisa also coached Lazio, among others.

MORE READING!  Balotelli ‘sacked' by club, Brescia, after skipping training for 10 days

Sports

Balotelli ‘sacked’ by club, Brescia, after skipping training for 10 days

Published

on

Mario Balotelli

Italian football striker, Mario Balotelli has reportedly been sacked by his club Brescia after he skipped training for ten days.

Reports in Italy on Saturday morning claimed Brescia owner Massimo Cellino sent the controversial footballer a letter requesting the termination of his three-year contract at the club after he failed to show up for training when lockdown restrictions were eased.

The 29-year-old former Manchester City and Liverpool player was contracted to Brescia until 2022, following the £160,000-per-week deal he signed with his hometown club back in August 2019.

MORE READING!  Messi misses training again with thigh injury

It was reported that his contract with Brescia was set to be terminated at the end of the 2019/20 campaign. But according to Football Italia and Gazzetta dello Sport, his contract with the club has now been terminated.

Newspaper Repubblica also claimed that both Cellino and Balotelli, who earns £877,000-a-year at Brescia have also reached a financial settlement.

MORE READING!  Ighalo vows to leave the pitch if he's racially abused again

Speaking in a recent interview with BBC, Cellino admitted his regret at signing Balotelli who scored five goals in 19 games for the club.

He said:

“I think we both made a mistake,” Cellino told the BBC’s World Football programme.

“I thought that coming to Brescia, which is his town, would commit him very much.

“At the same time, I think he was handled the wrong way by my previous coach [Eugenio Corini].

“He doesn’t show up to training, he doesn’t look very committed let’s say, for the future of the club. That’s the problem.

“Balotelli’s got a contract in Serie A, but he doesn’t have a contract in Serie B. So if we’re relegated, Balotelli won’t have a contract any more.

“Balotelli apparently doesn’t like to stay in Italy anymore because he’s not acting that way.”

Continue Reading

Sports

I hated s*x after I was raped, Funke Oshonaike reveals

Published

on

Nigerian women’s table tennis player and six-time Olympian Funke Oshonaike, says she developed hatred for sex after she was raped as a young girl.

The six-time Olympian stated this while reacting to the r*pe and murder of Uwa Omozuwa, the 22-year-old 100 level student of the University of Benin, inside a church in Benin City, the Edo State capital.

“It’s my true life story. Terrible experience for me and it affected my sex life. I hated sex. I don’t want to tell my entire story for now because of my autobiography that’s coming soon,” Oshonaike stated.

She also pleaded with parents to raise their male kids in the right way, saying it would help prevent the scourge.

“I have been a victim and know how terrible it is. Women should rise up and fight this scourge,” the former Nigerian champion stated.

“I’ve been abused and after beating me, he will force and sleep with me by force. It was when I grew up that I got to know that it’s called rape.”

Oshonaike added, “Parents should teach their boy-child about sex and how to respect a woman’s body, and never force a woman to have sex with them. Even in marriage, no is no.”

MORE READING!  Wenger, perfect candidate to become new Arsenal chairman - Martin Keown
Continue Reading

Sports

Michael Jordan to donate $100m to organizations fighting for racial justice, equality

Published

on

Michael Jordan and Jordan Brand on Friday announced a $100 million donation to help the ongoing fight against racial injustice.

In a joint statement released by his manager Estee Portnoy, the basketball legend said that over the next 10 years, he and his brand will donate $100 million to “organizations dedicated to ensuring racial equality, social justice and greater access to education.”

“Jordan Brand is more than one man. It has always been a family,” the statement begins.

“We represent a proud family that has overcome obstacles, fought against discrimination in communities worldwide and that works every day to erase the stain of racism and the damage of injustice.”

It continues:

“The will, the work, the excellence the world has come to know is the result of one generation after another, pouring their dreams into the next. It’s 2020, and our family now includes anyone who aspires to our way of life. Yet as much as things have changed, the worst remains the same.”

“Black lives matter. This isn’t a controversial statement. Until the ingrained racism that allows our country’s institutions to fail is completely eradicated, we will remain committed to protecting and improving the lives of Black people,” they share.

MORE READING!  Messi misses training again with thigh injury
Continue Reading




Trending