The National Working Committee (NWC) of All Progressives Congress [APC] has formally adopted Senator Ovie Omo-Agege for the positions of Deputy Senate President [DSP] and Hon. Muhammed Idris Wase as Deputy Speaker [DS] of the 9th National Assembly.
This resolve was reached after emergency meetings which held on Saturday the 8th and Sunday the 9th of June 2019.
Malam Lanre Issa-Onilu, APC National Publicity Secretary, in a statement on Monday in Abuja, said the decision was taken at an emergency meeting of the NWC held in Abuja.
Issa-Onilu said that the meeting also endorsed Malam Muhammed Wase as Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives.
He added that the decision was taken after consultations with President Muhammadu Buhari, party stakeholders, and APC State Governors.
The party had earlier announced Senators Ahmed Lawan and Mr Femi Gbajabiamila as its candidates for the positions of Senate President and Speaker of House Representatives.
“All elected APC members in the Senate and House of Representatives are hereby directed to fully mobilise as a united force behind the party’s choice.
“Members who have earlier signified interests in these positions are urged to support the party’s decisions as loyal and committed members,” Issa-Onilu said.
He added that such party members should work with other members to ensure the emergence of the adopted candidates.
The APC spokesman said details of other positions in the two chambers would be made public in due course.
Omo-Agege, a lawyer from Orogun in Ughelli North Local Government Area (LGA) represents Delta Central District in the Senate.
President Muhammadu Buhari had proclaimed that the 9th National Assembly should hold its first session on Tuesday June 11 after its inauguration.
Here’s why Trump has threatened to shut down social media
Donald Trump has threatened to close down social media platforms that do not support his agenda, a day after Twitter posted a fact-checking notice on one of his tweets.
Social media firms suppressed conservative points of view, the president claimed – without any evidence – before saying his administration would “strongly regulate [the companies] or close them down before we can ever allow this to happen.”
Mr Trump advised the companies to “Clean up your act, NOW!!!!”
It is unclear whether the president’s professed goal would be compatible with the first amendment to the US constitution.
On Wednesday, he tweeted:
“Republicans feel that Social Media Platforms totally silence conservatives voices. We will strongly regulate, or close them down before we can ever allow this to happen. We saw what they attempted to do, and failed, in 2016. We can’t let a more sophisticated version of that happen again.
“Just like we can’t let large scale Mail-In Ballots take root in our Country. It would be a free for all on cheating, forgery and the theft of Ballots. Whoever cheated the most would win. Likewise, Social Media. Clean up your act, NOW!!!!”
Twitter’s fact-checking notice was posted on a previous Trump tweet that claimed mail-in ballots could allow widespread voter fraud. It immediately led to a presidential eruption accusing the platform of “completely stifling FREE SPEECH”
For the first time ever, Twitter issues fact check on Trump tweets
Twitter issued a fact check of some of Donald Trump’s tweets on Tuesday, marking the first time the U.S. president’s favoured social media platform has pushed back against him spreading falsehoods.
The move, which almost immediately heightened tensions between Trump and the social media giant, came in the form of a label under two of the president’s tweets, which claimed that mail-in voter ballots are subject to extreme fraud.
The label says “Get the facts about mail-in ballots,” and then redirects users to news articles and a bulleted list refuting Trump’s claims.
Shortly after Twitter issued the fact check, the president accused the company of “interfering” in the November presidential election and impinging on free speech.
“Twitter is completely stifling FREE SPEECH, and I, as President, will not allow it to happen!” he tweeted while doubling down on voter fraud claims.
It is unclear how Twitter will treat Trump’s future tweets that promote false information.
On Tuesday, Trump issued separate tweets promoting a baseless conspiracy theory about Joe Scarborough, a liberal television news host and former congressman, which were not fact-checked by Twitter.
Nick Pacilio, a Twitter spokesman, would not comment on whether the company will continue to fact-check Trump’s tweets, saying the label is used “based on what people tweet.”
Twitter has faced a growing backlash for giving the president a massive platform to spread false information.
Trump, who has more than 80 million Twitter followers, says his use of social media is essential to bypass what he sees as a biased media establishment.
“Partnering with biased fake news ‘fact checkers’ is a smokescreen to lend Twitter’s obvious political tactics false credibility,” Trump’s campaign manager Brad Parscale said in a statement responding to Twitter flagging the president’s tweets.
“There are many reasons we pulled all our advertising from Twitter months ago, and clear political bias is one of them,” Parscale added.
The president has increasingly claimed that mail-in ballots are subject to high rates of fraud at the time when some states are increasing access to postal voting to protect public health ahead of the November presidential elections.
Election law experts say there is little evidence of increased fraud in mail-in ballots, as general voter fraud remains extremely low.
Republicans have long pushed to tighten the process for voter registration as Democrats have sought to expand voter accessibility.
Some studies show increased voter turnout is a boon for Democratic candidates.
In June of last year, Twitter said that it would mark tweets deemed to be in the public interest that violate its policies on such things as abusive behaviour and public safety.
Nobody can stop me from second term– Obaseki
Governor of Edo State, Godwin Obaseki has said that second term for him is non-negotiable as he deserves it and has clearly earned it.
The governor disclosed this when he received members of the Benin Unity League at Government House in Benin City on Thursday.
Mr Obaseki said: “I have said it clearly and I told my cabinet yesterday that second term for me is not negotiable.
“I am demanding it because I deserve it and I think I have earned it. We need to have it so we can continue what we are doing today.”
The governor said no one individual can determine who will become governor, noting that only God and the people can make the decision.
“I want to assure you that this is a fight that we will prevail. We will fight and succeed.
“If anybody thinks I will back out, he must be daydreaming because it is not my fight, it is about fighting for the right thing and cause.
“I am not going to back off because I know victory is sure,” the governor said.
Mr Obaseki said nobody had accused him of implementing a wrong policy, adding that the accusations had been on but not focusing on stomach infrastructure.
The governor commended the league for understanding where the challenges were coming from and supporting the truth.
Earlier, the President of the league, Gregory Osa, said the league was social cultural and non-political, established in 1983, comprising notable Benin professionals.
Mr Osa said the visit was to join other Edo sons and daughters to say no to the mischief in some quarters to prematurely pull the governor out of office, noting that the move was borne out of selfish motive.
“You are providing an enabling environment to make Edo an industrial hub.
“We are particularly interested by your push to develop the Benin River Port and make Benin Airport an international Airport.
“You will not only win the battle, you will win the war,” he said.
Four policemen who killed defenceless black man by kneeling on his neck fired
Female footballer Chi Chi shows off six packs abs (photo)
COVID-19: Mission advises cancer patients on adequate care against contraction
Kano: Auto crash injures five, kills five
Covid-19: Cases in Oyo firm, iSON Xperiences, rise to 151
Prominent Kano Monarch dies
Davido please borrow me your jet, Asisat Oshoala who is stranded in Spain begs
Violations: NBC fines three stations, sanctions 28 others
Do face masks made from clothes prevent Covid-19? NAFDAC provide answers
Man who leaked Buhari’s speech before nationwide broadcast has been caught
Rolls-Royce to cut up to 8,000 Jobs
I will resign from Buhari’s government if… – Keyamo
Man, brother in-law beat wife’s ‘boyfriend’ to death
Kaffy pens down painful tribute to Kodak
Kim Jong-un may have faked his death to expose traitors in his circle- Report
JUST IN: Nigeria records highest COVID-19 cases, deaths in West Africa
White woman lies against black man in New York Park, gets sacked (Video)
VIDEO: Seven-year-old boy, taught by Boko Haram, demonstrates gun handling and shooting strategies
VIDEO: Seven months pregnant doctor saving COVID-19 patients from death
I nearly committed suicide over N20m debt – Real Warri Pikin
Armed men on motorcycles attack Lekki security guards (video)
Corpse of actress Destiny Etiko’s dad arrives Enugu for burial [Video]
Video: I have three chronic health conditions and I’m a Covid-19 survivor – Nigerian lady
My baby likes big ass so I’m getting another butt surgery – Bobrisky
Metro2 days ago
82 years old man stabs his wife, 70+, to death in Imo
General3 days ago
COVID-19: Private school owners seek revolving loan
News3 days ago
Teenager fakes own death to avoid financial pressure from mother
General2 days ago
Girls are never to be trusted- Young Nigerian boy writes heartbreaking post to his ex-girlfriend on her birthday
General3 days ago
Gov. Ayade suspends activities of C’River Transport Agency
Coronavirus2 days ago
United States bans flights from Brazil over coronavirus pandemic
Nigeria Update2 days ago
Eid-el-Fitr: I observed prayers at home because of COVID-19 – Buhari
News2 days ago
Manager of demolished hotel among 27 new cases of COVID-19 in Rivers – Commissioner