Connect with us

Politics

Afenifere to Buhari: Sack service chiefs like you did APC NWC

Published

The Pan-Yoruba socio-po­litical organization, Afenifere, has urged President Buhari to sack the service chiefs just has he sacked the APC NWC.

President Buhari last week recommended the sack of the National Working Committee NWC of All Pro­gressives Congress (APC) and this was immediately implemented at the National Executive Com­mittee (NEC) meeting which took place in the statehouse Abuja.

Afenifere has now urged the president to tackle the lapses in the security architecture of the country in the same way.

MORE READING!  I advise other girls to try and make it in Nigeria, Lebanon was hell, lady narrates experience

Lamenting about the escalat­ing cases of kidnapping, banditry, and acts of terror­ism by Boko Haram insur­gents in the country, Afenifere while speaking through its spokesman, Yinka Oduma­kin, wondered why the president continued to allow the service chiefs remain in office.

“It is clear that we have lost the war against Boko Haram insurgents even though the Federal Govern­ment has made so much pro­paganda about their exploits against Boko Haram. On a daily basis, it is becoming clearer that Boko Haram is on top of us.

We need to get back to the drawing board, to de­vise strategies to contain these criminals; otherwise, Nigeria may go under with these insurgents.” the statement read

Afenifere urged the president to go beyond scold­ing the security chiefs and relieve them of their duties.

MORE READING!  Bodycam reveals killer-cop Derek Chauvin dismissed George Floyd telling them he couldn’t breathe

The group said if President Buhari be­lieved the best of the service chiefs was not good enough, as he told them, he should sack them immediately instead of leaving them at their posts without any visi­ble results.

Politics

Ondo poll: You can’t dictate mode of primary, APC tells aspirants

Published

on

The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ondo State says no governorship aspirant can dictate the mode of primary to be used for the party’s July 20 governorship primary in the state.

The party said this in a statement by Mr. Alex Kalejaiye, the state’s Publicity Secretary,  on Sunday in Akure.

The statement said in part: ” The attention of the state chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has been drawn to an aggressive agitation for a mode of primary ahead of the governorship election in October this year.

“We wish to place it on record that it is inconceivable that aspirants would dictate to the party on which mode to adopt.

“The chapter is duty-bound to underscore a salient point; that it is the prerogative of the national secretariat to decide which of the modes, pelt out in the party constitution should be adopted for each state at any point in time.

“For the sake of emphasis, the party’s constitution approves three modes of primaries to select its candidates for an election: direct, indirect, and consensus.

” Any of these could be chosen at random, depending on the discretion of the supervising authority.

” The supervising authority in this regard is Gov. Mai- Mala Bunni-led Caretaker Committee, and saddled with the responsibility to decide the option for Ondo State 2020.”

Kalejaiye added that the state was disturbed by the inflammatory statements credited to some of the governorship aspirants,  “especially those laden with threats to ensure that the state chapter is brought down where their wish is not granted.”

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Buhari signs revised 2020 budget into law

According to him, a committed party member would not embark on actions or utterances that would cast aspersions on its leadership at all levels.

“He would rather prefer to work assiduously towards the victory of his party at any election.

“It is imperative for aspirants, like students preparing for the examination, to abide by the rules and guidelines from the national secretariat, so long these rules are not at variance with the contents of the party constitution.

“The efforts to set a terrible precedent for the party by allowing aspirants to dictate what mode to adopt for an election should be invested in quality and decent campaigns to sell their candidacy to party elders, leaders, and members.

“These groups will definitely speak, directly or through the party structures,” he stated.

The spokesman noted that the state secretariat’s concern was to promote all genuine efforts geared  toward a rancour-free primary election and produce a candidate who would retain the state for the party on Oct. 10.

Continue Reading

Politics

Sack Buratai now, Bamgbose tells Buhari

Published

on

Olusegun Bamgbose, Esq., National Coordinator, Concerned Advocates for Good Governance, CAGG, has called for the immediate sack of Army Chief of Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai.

According to him, no manner of excuses and arguments will suffice or be acceptable any longer, adding that the insecurity of the nation is worrisome.

In a statement he made available to newsmen on Sunday, the senior lawyer noted that there is every indication that

“the time is very ripe for President Buhari, the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces and the Executive President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, to retire Buratai. No manner of excuses and arguments will suffice or be acceptable any longer.”

He said there seems to be no respite at sight, noting that soldiers are being killed, while civilians are losing their lives on daily basis, as a result of the activities of bandits, Boko Haram, and other forms of criminalities.

MORE READING!  Ondo deputy gov asks court to jail 26 lawmakers for contempt

Bamgbose said that even though the army had denied the news that 386 soldiers tendered their resignation to Buratai, citing loss of interest, as their reason of disengagement, “this may not be far from the truth.”

“Ordinarily, one would have expected the Chief of Army Staff to honorably resign, but if he fails to resign, the Commander-In-Chief of Armed Forces and the Executive President of Nigeria, in the person of Muhammadu Buhari, should as a matter of urgency, do Nigerians a favor by removing him as soon as possible.

“He is no doubt overwhelmed and exhausted, he has to go. Just last month, Katsina and Borno States were under heavy attacks by Boko Haram and bandits. 81 killed in Borno State, 40 killed in Katsina State.

MORE READING!  My ordeal a set-up, fulfilment of my fiancee's vision - man, 25, accused of raping 70-year-old woman

“Houses were burnt, dozens of women raped. No arrests were made. More than 200 bandits operated more than hour and they left without counter attack. This is unbelievable.

“No intelligence gathering whatsoever to nip in bud the attack. This is a sad development. Only yesterday, unidentified gunmen killed at least 20 villagers in Kauru Local Government in Kaduna State.

“These killings are no longer acceptable. I’m sincerely and seriously concerned about loss of lives. Most of these people voted for Buhari to protect them from Bandits and Boko Haram but it’s quite unfortunate, they are gone for ever.

“I believe it’s time for Buhari to remove Buratai as Chief of Army of Staff before Nigeria is consumed. The President should know as a matter of fact, that Nigerians voted for him, not Buratai.

MORE READING!  Magu: Osinbajo didn’t accept N4bn, Laolu Akandesays

I believe it’s time for Buhari to choose between Nigerians, who voted for him, and Buratai whom he appointed as Chief of Army Staff of Nigeria.

“Buhari should show him the way out or Nigerians will have cause to think and believe that, Buratai is higher than him or that he as President is scared of removing him.

“The time to act is now. No better time than now to show Nigerians, that he is truly in control of the affairs of this nation. It’s as serious as that. If truly Buhari loves Nigeria and Nigerians, Buratai has to be removed.

“The Government has given him enough time to showcase his military prowess but very unfortunately, he has failed woefully to deliver. I believe it’s time for him to be excused.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Group wants 2023 presidency zoned to South East  

Published

on

 A pro-democracy group, All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidency Project 2023 on Sunday said that the 2023 presidency should be ceded to the South East in the interest of equity and fairness.

 

A statement issued in Abuja by Dr. Chinedu Jideofo-Ogbuagu, the Convener and National Coordinator of southeast APC Presidency Project 2023, said that the time was ripe for the zone to produce the president for the country

 

“Whatever or whoever will cause the South-East not to produce the President of Nigeria in 2023 is an enemy of Nigeria.

 

“President of Nigeria from South-East extraction from May 29, 2023, would be the only guarantee of equity, justice, peace, unity, continued existence, and proper progress and development of Nigeria.

 

“Presidency of Nigeria wouldn’t be a favor to the South-East; it is now the only hope of Nigeria’s survival.

MORE READING!  APC screens 12 aspirants

 

“It would be a noble sacrifice on the part of the South-East of Nigeria.

 

“We want APC to be the party platform on which a South-Easterner will become president of Nigeria.

 

“This is simply because we are currently APC members and in the reasonable expectation that APC will offer its 2023 presidential ticket to a South-Easterner,’’ Jideofor-Ogbuagu said.

 

According to him, members of South East APC Presidency Project have insisted that for equity sake, the presidency should be zoned to the South East after President Muhammadu Buhari must have completed his second term in office.

 

He added that other geopolitical zones in the country should extend hands of cooperation to the zone by supporting a Nigerian president of South East extraction.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Buhari signs revised 2020 budget into law

 

He emphasised that the South East had contributed immensely to the growth of the nation and the APC as a party.

 

“We as South Easterners are in all the 774 local government areas across the country, contributing our quota through legitimate services for the good of our fatherland.

 

“As committed citizens with the same rights and privileges like other Nigerians, it is only fit and proper that the Presidency should shift to the South East having been tasted by the South West in Olusegun Obasanjo and South South in Goodluck Jonathan.

 

“APC as the biggest political party in Africa should as a matter of equity zone the 2023 presidency to the SouthEast.

MORE READING!  Ondo deputy gov asks court to jail 26 lawmakers for contempt

 

“We are mobilizing over 40 million South Easterners, friends, and fellow Nigerians to queue behind this project,” Jideofor-Ogbuagu said.

 

Meanwhile, an 18-member National Executive Committee (NEC), and a 92-member National Working Committee (NWC), have been constituted for the South-East APC Presidency Project 2023.

 

Members of the committees cut across all states of Nigeria and Abuja.

 

Some are Dr. Chinedu Jideofo-Ogbuagu; National Coordinator, Chief Amaechi Nnolim; Deputy National Coordinator,  Chief Chooks Oko; Secretary, and Mr. Onyekachi Ibekwe, Assistant Secretary.

 

Some others are Mr. Eze Adiuku, Publicity and Press Officer, Mr. Chidi Ozoemena, Public Relations Officer, Dr. Emeka Ukaegbu, Contact and Protocol Officer, and Mr. Uzowuike Emeka, Mobilization Officer.

Continue Reading




Trending