Connect with us

General

Alleged rape: Group lauds Busola Dakolo for defying societal stigma, seeking redress in court

Published

An NGO, Gender Mobile Initiative (GMI), has commended Busola Dakolo, for her courage to seek redress in court over her rape case.

The Executive Director of GMI, Ms Omowumi Ogunrotimi (Esq), gave the commendation on Tuesday in a statement in Abuja.

Mrs Dakolo had accused the founder and Senior Pastor of Commonwealth of Zion Assembly (COZA), Biodun Fatoyinbo, of raping her on Sept. 23 and Sept. 26, 2002, and that she had suffered continuous emotional distress ever since.

Her allegation against the pastor had set social media and other online platforms on fire, evoking shock, backlash and criticisms from Nigerians, especially the Christian community.

Fatoyinbo had been interrogated by the police over the rape allegation and was later released on bail.

“We at Gender Mobile commend the courage of Mrs Busola Dakolo for taking this allegation beyond the purview of the court of public opinion to the Court of Law where justice will be duly served.

“It is a common knowledge that rape victims, especially in high profile cases who speak out about their experiences years after the attack are often slandered by the public as opportunists making up stories for attention or money.

“We are, therefore, glad that her actions so far will serve as encouragement for others who have been silent,” Ogunrotimi said.

According to her, Busola Dakolo has taken a bold and unprecedented step by her action.

She defied the societal `stigma and shame’ usually accorded to victims of rape by coming out boldly and also dragging the alleged suspect to the court of law.

“This feat will not only serve as a deterrent to other unscrupulous elements who are notorious in the act of rape but also encourage other victims of rape to speak out and seek redress in the court,” Ogunrotimi said.

She urged Fatoyinbo to take the opportunity of the court process to prove his innocence.

MORE READING!  Why didn't you answer me, lady tackles Jesus Christ after failed attempt to raise the dead

The activist noted that his boycott of the panel set-up by Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria (PFN) over the matter was disappointing going by the “partiality” issue he raised.

Ogunrotimi said the law court had been a neutral place to get justice and as such there was no reason the pastor should not go and defend himself.

“Finally, we appeal to law enforcement agencies, NGO’s and other relevant authorities to ensure this matter is not swept under the carpet.

“We cannot change the past, we cannot restore the loss that has been done but we have it within our power to make the world a better and also create safe spaces for victims.

(NAN)

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Ekiti Taskforce shuts down hotel for hosting wedding party

General

Gunmen kill journalist in Nasarawa

Published

on

Gunmen have killed a former treasurer of the Nasarawa State Council of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Mr. Benjamin Ekom.

The Newsmen reports that the killing of Ekom, who was also a former Information Officer with the Akun Local Government Council of the state, comes barely seven days after the killing of five people in the state.

On July 27, five people were reported killed with 14 others still missing at the Dausu community in the Toto Local Government Area of the state.

MORE READING!  Cat arrested, detained for smuggling heroin, escapes from prison

The traditional ruler of the Aren-Akun community, Alhaji Usman Galadima-Umbugadu, who spoke to reporters on the incident on Tuesday, described the killing as unfortunate and barbaric.

Ekom, who was also a former Secretary-General of Eggon Cultural and Development Association (ECDA) was killed late on Aug. 3 at his house in Washo, Akun.

Galadima-Umbugadu described Ekom as a committed subject whose contributions would be missed by the chiefdom.

“Yes, it is true that my subject, who served as the ECDA secretary, was attacked and killed in his house in the Washo community by gunmen.

MORE READING!  Hong Kong postpones elections for a year over virus concerns

“This is unfortunate, barbaric, and uncalled.’’

The monarch said that Ekom contributed a lot to the development of the chiefdom, advising the family and the community to take solace in God.

Also speaking, Mr. Adams Makka-Nangba, District Head of Wakama community, described Ekom’s death as not only a great loss to the family but to the entire Akun chiefdom.

“It is said that Benjamin Ekom, the former ECDA Secretary-General, was assassinated in his house yesterday night.”

MORE READING!  Igbo Muslim family living in Imo celebrate Eid in unusual style (Photo)

Makka-Nangba prayed for the repose of the soul of the former information officer.

Spokesman of the Nasarawa State Police Command, Mr. Ramhan Nansel, told Newsmen that he was yet to receive information on the death of Ekom.

“I am yet to get that information. I will make my finding,’’ Nansel said.

Meanwhile, the corpse of the murdered journalist has been deposited at a hospital mortuary in Akwanga.

Continue Reading

General

British monarchs celebrate Meghan Markle on her birthday

Published

on

The members of the British royal family have taken to social media to wish Meghan Markle, the Duchess of Sussex, a happy birthday as she turns 39.

The head of the monarchy, Queen Elizabeth, took to the royal family’s official Instagram account to send good wishes.

The celebration is expected to be low key as she now lives in pandemic wracked California, where she moved with her husband, Prince Harry and son Archie early this year.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Ekiti Taskforce shuts down hotel for hosting wedding party

For the UK Royal family, however, Meghan being out of sight is not out of mind, as the Queen led the tweeting of birthday greetings.

The Royal Family in a tweeted message, accompanied by a balloon and cake emoji, said:

“Wishing The Duchess of Sussex a very happy birthday!”

It was shared alongside a photograph of the Queen and Meghan during a visit to Chester in 2018 – the only engagement the former actress performed solo with the Queen during her time with the Royal Family.

MORE READING!  NDDC warns Nigerians against scammers offering fake jobs

 

See post below;

Kate Middleton and Prince William then joined in the well-wishing, with Kensington Palace sharing a photograph of Meghan smiling at a child along with the message: “Wishing a very happy birthday to The Duchess of Sussex today!”

Charles and Camilla’s account, Clarence House, then added: “Happy Birthday to The Duchess of Sussex!”

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Over 25,000 Americans died in July, as cases rose by 1.87m

See below:

 

Continue Reading

General

74-year-old woman exhumes husband’s bones, attempts to fly it in luggage to Armenia

Published

on

A 74-year-old Armenian woman was stopped at Munich airport and human bones were found in her luggage, German federal police said on Tuesday.

Officials found the remains in a wooden box and subsequently called on customs officers, a doctor and the public prosecutor to examine the strange case.

Together with her 52-year-old daughter, the woman wanted to fly the bones from her home in Greece to Armenia, via Munich and Kiev.

MORE READING!  ENSG demolishes sinking three-story building in Enugu

The deceased was to be laid to rest in his former home country.

Documents showed that the man had died in 2008 and was buried at his place of residence near Thessaloniki.

Federal police found the transfer of the remains to be lawful, and the public prosecutor also saw no grounds for a criminal investigation.

MORE READING!  Lagos decontaminates public schools for partial resumption

The women were allowed to continue on their journey, together with the bones.

NAN

Continue Reading




Trending