Connect with us

News

Another Lagos fire destroys buildings, shanties in Ebute Metta [Video]

Published

Ebute Metta

No fewer than five buildings and scores of shanties have been burnt by another fire outbreak on Friday at Jebba, by Okobaba Street, Ebute Metta, in Lagos Mainland.

This is coming just three days after fire razed multi-storey buildings in different parts of Lagos Island on Tuesday.

The Punch reports that the fire started in one building but spread to other buildings and shanties in the area, even as attempts were made by firefighters to douse the fire.

MORE READING!  ENSG demolishes sinking three-storey building in Enugu

When the fire started, residents of the area trooped out in their hundreds to put the fire out.

Over 20 minutes after first filing this report, firefighters arrived the scene of the fire outbreak at Jebba by Okobaba street, Ebute Metta.

However, as of 2.10 p.m., efforts to douse the fire had yielded no results.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Fire guts foam market in Mushin, Lagos

Meanwhile, residents of the area have started evacuating their properties.

READ ALSO: Nigerians slam ‘Arewa Twitter’ over damning comments on lady’s pool photos

As of 2.15 p.m the crowd at the scene of the burning building had increased.

 

See video:

Source: Twitter

 

 

News

JUST IN: WAEC releases 2020 WASSCE timetable

Published

on

WAEC Candidates

The West African Examinations Council has released the timetable for the 2020 West African Senior School Certificate Examination, The PUNCH reports.

The Federal Government had announced that the examination would begin effective August 17, 2020 through September 12, 2020.

 

Details later…

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Kwara dep gov, wife test positive for Covid-19
Continue Reading

News

FG to resume Digital TV broadcasting- Lai Mohammed

Published

on

The federal government says it will “very soon’ resume the rollout of Digital Switch Over (DSO) – a transition from analogue to digital television broadcasting – across the country.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, stated this on Tuesday in Lagos at a ceremony to unveil the new amendment to the 6th Edition of the Broadcasting Code.

Fielding questions from stakeholders at the ceremony, the minister said the DSO suffered some setbacks which led to hold after it was launched in six states.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Kwara dep gov, wife test positive for Covid-19

He reiterated the commitment of the government to spread the massive benefits of digital television to the people, stressing that it was the fastest way to create jobs.

The roll-out of DSO commenced in Jos, Plateau in April 2016 and moved to Abuja, Ilorin, Kaduna, Enugu and lastly in Osogbo in February 2018.

MORE READING!  FCES Oyo Alumni Association drags ex-president to EFCC over alleged fraud

The minister assured the stakeholders that they would hear from the government on the resumption of the DSO roll out in the coming weeks.

Mr Mohammed also told the stakeholders that the government had been implementing policies and programmes to reposition the creative industry.

He said one of the major recommendations of the Post COVID-19 Initiative Committee on the Creative Industry chaired by ace comedian, Ali Baba, was a restructuring of the industry.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Lagos reopens worship centres August 7

The minister reassured that the government would soon set up a committee on the implementation of the recommendations to move the industry forward.

The Minister also reiterated government’s commitment to assist the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria in securing the N10 billion Nigeria Media Intervention Fund from the Central Bank of Nigeria.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

NAN

Continue Reading

News

Covid-19: Imo postpones resumption of schools for graduating classes

Published

on

Imo State Governor, Senator Hope Uzodinma, has directed that all schools in the state should remain shut down pending the fulfilment of all laid down COVID-19 protocols.

The Governor gave the directive through a press release signed by the state Commissioner for Education, Prof. B. T. O Ikegwuoha.

The release said a resumption date will soon be announced by the Governor as soon as the modalities and conditions given by the state COVID-19 task force, World Health Organization and the Nigeria Centre For Disease Control have been fulfilled.

MORE READING!  Lagosians have been mistaking Covid-19 for malaria – Commissioner reveals

The WAEC/WASCCE examination, according to the release will commence on August 17, 2020 as against the resumption date earlier slated for August 4, 2020.

In the other news, the Edo State Government has said secondary schools in the state will not resume tomorrow, August 4, 2020, as announced by the Federal Ministry of Education but on Monday, August 10, 2020, for graduating students.

MORE READING!  ENSG demolishes sinking three-storey building in Enugu

Only students in SS3 who have enrolled for the WASSCE and schools who have enrolled for the NECO Basic Education Certificate Examinations (BECE) are to re-open on Monday the 10th of August, 2020.This is to enable operators of schools in the state to complete the modalities for a safe school re-opening.”

“A date for the re-opening of other classes will be announced in due course. Meanwhile, proprietors of private schools are to strictly comply with the provision of school re-opening guidelines obtainable from the Ministry of Education in the 18 Local Government Areas of the state, the state said.

Continue Reading




Trending