Connect with us

General

Ban on Okada, Keke bites harder as Lagosians trek miles to work [Video]

Published

ban on okada

The effect of the ban on motorcycles and tricycles popularly known as Okada and Keke respectively in some major areas in Lagos which took effect on Saturday grew worse on Monday morning as many residents head for work.

Outraged Lagos residents have taken to social media since Saturday when the proscription began to lament the untold hardship the new government policy is causing them.

Several photos and videos shred on social media at the weekend showed many commuters stranded at bus stops with no vehicle in sight to convey them to their destinations.

MORE READING!  China rebukes Canada over criticism of Hong Kong security law

Some also narrated how they have been trekking for almost one hour to arrive at a major bus stop where there would be able to board a bus.

The situation went worse on Monday as many workers head for their respective places of work.

Videos and photos shared on social media on Monday morning showed many residents trekking as long as two kilometers to where there could get buses.

MORE READING!  Nigerian content intervention fund increased to $350m

Most of these routes are not bus routes, they were covered by tricycles and many commuters prefer to use bike-hailing services when moving around these routes. With the ban on tricycles and all forms of motorcycles, residents are left with no choice but to trek.

A Twitter user @MohammedAliA_ tweeted a video showing a large number of residents trekking from Akin Adesola street in Victoria Island to Law School in VI.

MORE READING!  Murder/suicide: LASTMA official kills lover, self over alleged infidelity

The distance between these locations is two kilometers.

He tweeted:

Dear lagosians, it’s difficult but we will survive.

“How else do you want us to resist the devil when we have a weak system that don’t care about the masses, an alternative means was meant to be in place before the ban.

“Yeah, it’s not funny at all, people have been trekking from Akin Adesola down to law school.”

 

See video:

General

Lagos Boat Mishap: seven died, 14 rescued as search ends

Published

on

The Director-General, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Dr. Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, said 14 people were rescued alive and seven died at the end of the rescue operation of a boat mishap on July 5.
Oke-Osanyintolu confirmed this to the Newsmen at the Ipakodo Jetty during the conclusion of the search and rescue operation at Ipadoko Ferry Terminal in Ikorodu.
He said the search and rescue operations, alongside Lagos State Waterways Authority (LASWA) dive team, started under extremely challenging nightfall conditions, adding that the operations had been concluded on Sunday.
The LASEMA boss said that the incident happened around 8 p.m. on July 3, having departed Ebute-Ero Enroute Ikorodu in violation of night-time restrictions.

He however reminded the public to abide by the safety regulations of the state, including appropriate usage of life jackets and restrictions on timing and plying of the waterways.

MORE READING!  How disrespectful! Lady shares conversation with cab guy who offered to eat her ‘kinni’

Journalists reports that 19 passengers and two crew members were aboard the capsized boat, out of which 14 were male and seven female.

The report said that four female was recovered on July 3, when the incident happened, two female each were also recovered on July 4 and July 5.
Continue Reading

General

S. Africa announces further reopening of schools amid COVID-19 pandemic

Published

on

 South Africa will further reopen its schools in line with its phased-in reopening strategy amid an upsurge in confirmed COVID-19 cases, the government announced on Sunday.

Minister of Basic Education Angie Motshekga, who made this known in a statement, said that from July 6, schools would reopen for Grades R, 6, and 11 learners.

Motshekga added that provinces that were not ready to receive Grade R on July 6 must provide strategic and realizable plans for ensuring the reincorporation of Grade R learners to schools within, but not later than the end of July 2020.

MORE READING!  Plateau Speaker felicitates with Pam on appointment as NCPC boss

She, however, said that the provinces that were ready to receive Grade R learners on July 6 could proceed to receive those learners.

On June 8, South Africa reopened schools for Grade 7 and Grade 12 learners in its first phase of school reopening.

Since then, 2,740 teachers have been infected by the virus, less than one percent of the total number of about 440,000 teachers in the country, according to the minister.

MORE READING!  US students organize 'Covid-19 parties' to see who gets infected

In the same period, 1,260 learners were also infected by the virus, translating to 0.01 percent of the total number of Grade 7 and Grade 12 learners, she said.

Meanwhile, 968 schools out of the total number of 25,762 schools were closed due to transmissions among teachers and learners, Motshekga said.

MORE READING!  David Starkey: Professor sacked by university after saying 'slavery was not genocide'

Eleven teachers and four non-teaching staff members died of COVID-19, while three learners were reported to have succumbed to the virus, she said.

“All of us must simply follow the health, safety, and social distancing protocols on COVID-19.

I” we fail to do so, the road ahead will be difficult for all of us,” Motshekga said, apparently responding to concerns over the further reopening of schools.

Continue Reading

General

London: Man reportedly shot dead in broad daylight

Published

on

Tragedy as a man in his early twenties reportedly died of gunshot injuries after a shooting in broad daylight near a children’s playground in north London.

Metropolitan Police disclosed that they were called at 3.20pm to Roman Way in Islington, north London, following reports of shots fired on Saturday.

According to eyewitnesses, multiple gunshots were heard before seeing someone on a moped speeding away from the area.

Attempts were made to rescue the man who suffered severe gunshots but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

MORE READING!  China rebukes Canada over criticism of Hong Kong security law

There have been no arrests and police are investigating the case. The area has been sealed off by officers.

A police statement on Sunday July 5, said:

‘Officers were called at 3.20pm on 4 July to Roman Way N7 following reports of shots fired.’

Officers attended with LAS and found a man, believed to be aged in his early 20s, suffering from gunshot injuries.

‘Despite their best efforts, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

“Next of kin have been informed. There have been no arrests and enquiries into the circumstances continue.’

‘The public have a huge role in helping to both prevent and detect crime. ‘We need to hear from anyone who has information about this crime, or about someone they suspect to be carrying a weapon or involved in organised crime.’

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said:

MORE READING!  President Macron names new Prime Minister

‘We were called at 3.21pm to reports of an incident on Atlas Mews, Islington. We dispatched an ambulance crew, three medics in fast response cars and an incident response officer to the scene, with the first of our medics arriving in under four minutes.

‘We also dispatched London’s Air Ambulance. Sadly, despite the efforts of medics, a man died at the scene.’

Continue Reading




Trending