Connect with us

Politics

Bandits are ruling Sokoto villages, settling disputes between people – APC Lawmaker

Published

The lawmaker representing Sokoto East Senatorial District in the National Assembly, Senator Ibrahim Gobir, has said bandits have sacked some parts of his constituency, established themselves as lords and rulers in the areas.

The lawmaker said the bandits sacked traditional and political institutions in most villages and towns in the area, adding that they now act as judges, settling disputes between people.

Gobir, who spoke in a The Punch report, claimed government forces told his people they could not protect them from the bandits because the hoodlums had better weapons.

He added that those whose villages are not too far from the border between Nigeria and the Republic of Niger are a bit safe because they are usually protected by Nigerien soldiers.

“Our biggest problem now is that the bandits have taken over many villages and are having a field day,” he said.

“They have constituted themselves as judges. They have sacked the traditional and political institutions there, so there are no judges at all.

“The bandits now settle disputes between people. They resolve quarrels between husband and wife and so on.”

He said the situation in his area was quite lamentable because they had been talking to the Federal Government and sending the resolutions of their meetings but the government had not come to their aid.

MORE READING!  Governor Obaseki sued over alleged certificate forgery, perjury

He added,

“If you look at the situation in that area, there is no farming because if the bandits find you on the farm, they will shoot you.

“If you sell a cow, the following day or at night, someone will come and collect the money.

“They sometimes surround a whole town or village and kill as many as they can and then take away whatever they want and burn the whole place.

“There was even a time bandits stormed our area and our people ran away into the bush. The bandits still pursued them and set the bush on fire and killed all our people there.”

He decried the situation, saying they had had to rely on the Nigerien army.

MORE READING!  Lagos discharges 20 more coronavirus patients

He added,

“They come to our aid because they have some soldiers around border towns not too far from some of our villages. They are the people that we now depend on to help us.

“The Nigerian Army is not helping us. We are really having challenges in that area. If we call the Nigerian Army to come to our aid, they will come but they will not go after the bandits.

“They will complain that the weapons being used by the bandits are more sophisticated than theirs.

“This is the problem that we are facing. We have discussed; they said they would come to our aid and make sure that our people are rescued but we haven’t seen any improvement.”

Gobir, whose efforts made the Senate include Sokoto among the states troops should invade and chase away bandits, however, doubted the impact of the resolution.

MORE READING!  My wife has no immunity, sue her, Ondo governor tells lawyer

He said,

“We are not sure that the Senate resolution would make much impact because this is just one of the resolutions we have been passing and nothing has come out.

“As a citizen of this country, a situation where my people will be sleeping and someone will just knock on their door and command them to surrender whatever they have is a problem.

“They would seize their wives or children and then kill the breadwinner. It is really pathetic.”

Politics

Obaseki does not deserve second term – Ogiemwonyi

Published

on

Godwin Obaseki

An aspirant in the forthcoming Edo State Governorship election under the platform of All Progressives Congress (APC), Engineer Chris Ogiemwonyi has said that Governor Godwin Obaseki should not be allowed again to fly the party’s flag during the September 19 election.

He said the governor was foisted on the state in 2016 through the instrumentality of indirect mode of governorship primary by the party and stressed that the governor does not deserve a second term in office if the state most progress.

MORE READING!  Lagos discharges 20 more coronavirus patients

Ogiemwonyi who spoke at the National Secretariat of the party in Abuja said but for Comrade Adams Oshiomhole, the then State Governor, now National Chairman of the party and the adoption of indirect primary, Governor Obaseki was not in the political calculation in Edo State in 2016.

Endorsing the direct mode of primary adopted by the National Working Committee (NWC) of the party for the conduct of June 22 party governorship primary in Edo State, the governorship hopeful said direct primary would enable people to determine their leaders.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Katsina Govt reopens weekly markets

Ogiemwonyi who vehemently opposed indirect primary recalled what he suffered from the system in 2016.
According to him, “I saw what indirect (primary) did to me in 2016. I nurtured the so called delegates for 9 months. I was giving soft loans. The shock I had was the then Governor (Oshiomhole) said it was Obaseki. Obaseki wasn’t a player in 2016. It was between myself and Odubu. They couldn’t vote for me because of the body language of the Governor.

MORE READING!  I won’t quit Edo Guber race, Ize-Iyamu says

The former Minister of State Works said with the attitude of the Governor towards his benefactor was nothing but a show of ingratitude.

According to Ogiemwonyi, ” Godwin did not campaign. Oshiomhole gave him so much gratitude but he has shown alot of ingratitude to Oshiomhole. He got that job without sweat.

“But I believe with this direct primaries now people will have their way. Nobody will use government apparatus to suppress one person,” he stated.

Continue Reading

Politics

Joe Biden formally wins Democratic nomination

Published

on

Leading democrats defend Biden after sexual assault allegation

Former Vice President Joe Biden has secured the delegates needed to win the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination on the first ballot at the August convention, crossing the threshold of 1,991 delegates.

Associated Press reported that Biden who took a commanding delegate lead in mid-March and after Vermont’s Senator Bernie Sanders dropped out of the race in early April confirmed this in a statement released on Friday night.

The former Vice President under Barack Obama’s administration tweeted;

“Folks, tonight we secured the 1,991 delegates needed to win the Democratic nomination. I’m going to spend every day fighting to earn your vote so that, together, we can win the battle for the soul of this nation.

“It was an honour to compete alongside one of the most talented groups of candidates the Democratic party has ever fielded and I am proud to say that we are going into this general election a united party.”

The 78-year-old who served as Delaware’s Senator for decades before becoming United States vice president during Barack Obama’s administration will be taking a shot at the presidency for the third time.

MORE READING!  Edo Assembly condoles with APC Youth Leader over father’s death

Obama had endorsed Biden in April, saying in a video that he had “all the qualities we need in a president right now.”

President Trump, on the other hand, has disclosed that he is eager to take the fight to Mr Biden who he derides as “Sleepy Joe.”

The milestone comes as the nation faces compounding crises wrought by the Coronavirus pandemic, soaring unemployment and a wave of protests over racism and police brutality.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Katsina Govt reopens weekly markets

Biden enters the November 2020 general election in a strong position, with polling showing him ahead in a number of key battleground states.

Continue Reading

Politics

Foundation lauds Gov Fayemi’s enforcement of lockdown directive in Ekiti

Published

on

The CLEEN Foundation on Saturday lauded the efforts of Gov. Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti on the enforcement of lockdown directives to contain the spread of COVID-19 pandemic in the state.

The Foundation gave the commendation in a communique at the end of Ekiti State Administration of Criminal Justice Working Group Bi-monthly meeting in Ado Ekiti.

The communique was signed by Ms. Rita Ilevbare, Founder, Gender Relevance Initiative Promotion (GRIP), Ms. Yetunde Kolawole, Ministry of Justice, and Mr. Osubu Ojo, Police Command in Ekiti.

It also commended Mr. Olawale Fapohunda, the Attorney-General’s issuance of periodic statements, calling on security agents to respect the principles of human rights in the enforcement of the lockdown directives.

The foundation said a review of the progress of the implementation of ACJL in Ekiti, as regards compliance with the State Government directives on COVID-19, revealed that both the conventional and state security outfits were not trained before being deployed to enforce the COVID-19 lockdown directives.

MORE READING!  Sanwo-Olu's guidelines for reopening of worship centres, an ‘abomination of desolation’ - Chris Okotie

It commended the substantial compliance with rules of engagement and ACJA by the security agents, particularly the police and the NSCDC in the enforcement of the COVID-19 lockdown directives.

The foundation said Ekiti witnessed minimal human rights violations by security agents, including no record of extrajudicial killings as witnessed in some states

It decried the use and involvement of the military in the enforcement of the COVID-19 lockdown directives.

“This is against the tenents of civil engagements, as some of the human rights violations witnessed in the state were mostly perpetrated by the military and the state’s security outfits,” the foundation said.

While commending Courts’ sittings during the COVID-19 lockdown it, however, alleged that violators of the lockdown directives were denied legal representation.

“This negates the principles of access to justice; particularly, the right to fair hearing as preserved under the 1999 Constitution of Nigeria (as amended).

“That following the gradual ease of the lockdown by the government and the full return to work, that Courts has commenced full sitting in all cases, including corruption cases,” the communique said.

It said that in case of future special duties, security agents, both conventional and state security outfits, should be specially trained by the government before deployment.

MORE READING!  My wife has no immunity, sue her, Ondo governor tells lawyer

The communique said that the military personnel should not be involved by the government in the enforcement of special duties, which were entirely civil in nature.

It said that the government should categorize lawyers as essential workers, should there be a need for a future lockdown.

The communique also proposed a training session on ACJA for security agencies, particularly the Police and NSCDC.

MORE READING!  I won’t quit Edo Guber race, Ize-Iyamu says

Reports have it that CLEEN Foundation, with support from MacArthur Foundation, was implementing the Project,

“Promoting Accountability and Transparency in the Administration of Criminal Justice System in Nigeria” in Ekiti.

It reports also as part of the project activities, CLEEN Foundation set up a State Working Group to monitor the effective implementation of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law (ACJL) in Ekiti.

According to reports the stakeholders were in the justice sector and meet bi-monthly to deliberate on the effective implementation of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law.

It is to explore strategies for collaboration with partners toward the attainment of the ideals of ACJL in Ekiti.

It reports that the usual Bi-monthly meeting could not hold due to the outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic in the state.

Continue Reading




Trending