Connect with us

News

Boko Haram fighters kill nine soldiers in Borno

Published

ISWAP

Boko Haram fighters killed nine Nigerian soldiers in an attack on a military base in Gudumbalia, a town in Borno State, three soldiers and an official from a security agency said on Wednesday.

A decade-long insurgency in the northeast, started by Islamist group Boko Haram in 2009, has claimed more than 30,000 lives. A breakaway faction that pledges allegiance to Islamic State has become the dominant group in the insurgency, carrying out attacks on military bases over the past year.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Obasanjo Library sends workers home 'temporarily'

The soldiers and security officer, all of whom spoke on condition of anonymity, said Islamist militants attacked troops on Tuesday, Reuters reported

They said nine soldiers were killed in the attack and 27 were missing.

“We repelled the attack,” said Nigerian Army spokesman Sagir Musa. He said he was not aware of any soldiers being killed or having gone missing. 

News

JUST IN:Nigeria records 553 new COVID-19 cases, total now 9,855

Published

on

COVID-19 cases in Nigeria increased further on Saturday with 553 cases reported by the country, even as authorities intensify efforts to flatten the curve of the pandemic.

The new cases were confirmed by the specialist agency, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Twitter.

This takes the country’s total infections to 9,855, out of which 2856 have been discharged with 273 losing their lives.

MORE READING!  Troops rescue 105 women, 136 children from Boko Haram in Borno

Data from the NCDC showed that the cases were spread across 14 states and the FCT, with Lagos accounting for the highest number of infections for the day with 378 cases.

553 new cases of #COVID19;

Lagos-378
FCT-52
Delta-23
Edo-22
Rivers-14
Ogun-13
Kaduna-12
Kano-9
Borno-7
Katsina-6
Jigawa-5
Oyo-5
Yobe-3
Plateau-3
Osun-1

MORE READING!  Four die in Ogun multiple accidents

9855 cases of #COVID19Nigeria
Discharged: 2856
Deaths: 273

Continue Reading

News

COVID-19: Enugu govt. decontaminates Ogbete Main Market

Published

on

The Enugu State Fire Service has commenced the decontamination and fumigation of Ogbete Main Market, Enugu, against the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Addressing newsmen during the exercise on Saturday, the state’s Chief Fire Officer, Mr. Okwudiri Ohaa, said that the exercise would last until Sunday.

It would be recalled that the state fire service carried out the first phase of the exercise in the market on April 1, shortly after the market was shut down by the state government to contain the spread of COVID-19 in the state.

MORE READING!  COVID-19 restrictions: FCTA shuts bars, arrests violators

During the first phase of the decontamination of the market, the exercise was monitored by Gov. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi and heads of security agencies in the state.

Ohaa said that the state government had been consistent with the exercise to ensure that “the fight against COVID-19 is won in Enugu State”.

He maintained that the decontamination would be a continuous one, saying that “when the market reopens, it will be a weekly event’’.

He advised residents to continue to adhere strictly to all precautionary measures for containment of COVID-19.

MORE READING!  Kidnappers receive $11m as ransom in 50 months, SBM Intelligence says in new report

Ohaa said the guidelines on personal hygiene protocol by World Health Organisation (WHO) and Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), among others, should be adhered to.

Reacting on behalf of the traders in the market, the Chief Security Officer, Mr. Justus Ezebinagu, commended Gov. Ugwuanyi for the initiative to decontaminate the market for the second time.

Ezebinagu gave an assurance that the traders would comply strictly with the government’s precautionary measures as well as the laid-down protocols by WHO and NCDC.

“When we were told that the governor directed the fire service to come and fumigate the market, the traders were happy because this is the second time they are coming to fumigate the market since this pandemic started.

“We thank our amiable governor for coming to our aid. We are happy.

“Even though the market is partially open for now, we believe that our governor is going to do more in our collective interest,’’ he said.

Continue Reading

News

Buhari‘s nephew, Ibrahim Dauda, dies in Daura

Published

on

Ibrahim Dauda, a nephew to the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), is dead.

Buhari, in a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, said Dauda died on Saturday in Daura, Katsina State, following a prolonged illness.

In a condolence message, Buhari was quoted as saying the death had robbed the family and the Daura community of one of its finest gentlemen.

“I am deeply touched and devastated by the passing of yet another family member, a man who had demonstrated amazing kindness and honesty in all his dealings.

“The deceased is survived by a number of children, including Dauda Ibrahim, a Chief Administrative Officer in State House, Abuja,” the President said.

He prayed to God to forgive the soul of the deceased and reward his deeds.

MORE READING!  VSF supports Edo IDPs with COVID-19 palliatives
Continue Reading




Trending