Connect with us

Crime

BREAKING: Police rescue four other travellers abducted in Ogun

Published

Abuja Police

The Ogun State Police Command on Saturday rescued the remaining four persons abducted around J3 Area in Ogbere axis of the State on Thursday.

It will be recalled that the only female among them, Deaconess Chidinma Ibelegbo, was rescued in the early hours of the day with an assurance that the remaining four would be rescued unhurt.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Ritualists arrested over Ibadan killings

The State Police Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Oyeyemi, confirmed this to newsmen in Abeokuta.

Details later…

Crime

Indian police kill suspect who murdered eight officers, stir outrage

Published

on

Indian-police

Indian police shot dead one of the country’s most wanted gangsters Friday just a day after his dramatic arrest, sparking accusations of a staged extra-judicial killing.

Officials said Vikas Dubey, detained for the killing of eight police officers, was shot as he tried to escape a police vehicle while being driven to his home city in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh.

Within hours of TV stations carrying images of his bloodstained body lying in a hospital, rights lawyers and activists alleged that police had killed Dubey to prevent him revealing his connections with powerful people.

“This is the most blatant case of extra-judicial killing. Dubey was a gangster terrorist who may have deserved to die. But (Uttar Pradesh) police have killed him to shut his mouth,” Supreme Court lawyer Prashant Bhushan wrote on Twitter.

“Will we allow police to kill anyone without a court trial?” Utsav Bains, another Supreme Court lawyer, added.

Senior opposition Congress party leader Priyanka Gandhi said the people “protecting” Dubey were still free.

MORE READING!  Couple arrested for having s3x in front of children

Dubey, aged about 50, was accused in more than 60 murders, attempted murders and other cases. He was said to have shot dead an Uttar Pradesh state minister inside a police station in 2001.

Despite those cases and his reputation for ruthlessness, Dubey has built considerable local political links over the past two decades.

MORE READING!  Another executive arrested in Wirecard scandal

On July 3, eight officers were gunned down when Dubey’s gang staged an ambush on a police team aiming to arrest him.

A nationwide manhunt was launched, during which five of Dubey’s associates – including his bodyguard nephew – were killed.

The gang leader finally gave himself up in a temple in Madhya Pradesh state on Thursday.

According to the police account, the car taking him to Kanpur early Friday overturned on a wet road and he tried to escape.

“Dubey has been killed in an exchange of fire after he snatched the pistol of our men and tried to flee after firing at them. Four of our men are also injured,” Kanpur police inspector general Mohit Agarwal told reporters.

MORE READING!  Police nab four over alleged rape in Akwa Ibom

Nirjhari Sinha, founder of a civil rights organisation in Gujarat state, said his death had revived memories of staged killings there.

“History repeats,” she wrote on Twitter. “Dead gangsters can’t speak about their political patronage.”

For decades, shoot-outs were staged to bypass India’s judicial system when police battled armed separatist movements in West Bengal, Punjab, Kashmir and remote northeastern states.

More recently, suspects accused of violent crimes have died in custody. Last year, police in southern India shot dead four men accused in the horrific rape-murder of a 27-year-old woman.

Continue Reading

Crime

Bagudu tasks security on fishing out killers of district head in Kebbi

Published

on

Kebbi records COVID-19 index case

Gov. Abubakar Bagudu has mandated security agencies to immediately fish out the killers of Alhaji Musa Bahago, the District Head of Bajidda in Fakai Local Government Area.

Alhaji Abubakar Mu’azu-Dakingari, the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, made this known in a statement made available to newsmen in Birnin Kebbi on Thursday.

NAN recalls that the late District Head was brutally killed with a machete on his way from Zuru to Bajidda by unidentified persons on Tuesday.

MORE READING!  Couple arrested for having s3x in front of children

Mu’azu-Dakingari said the governor gave the directive in Birnin Kebbi after a condolence visit to the area.

Bagudu, who was represented by his Deputy, Rtd. Col. Sama’ila Yombe-Dabai, expressed sadness over the incident.

“Gov. Abubakar Atiku Bagudu and indeed Kebbi state government are equally disturbed about the unfortunate event.

“Consequently, the governor directed security apparatus to be on the offensive to apprehend the culprits and remain proactive against infiltration of bandits into Kebbi from neighbouring states.

“Atiku-Bagudu offers sincere condolences to the family of the late District Head, the people of Fakai Local Government and Zuru Emirate on the demise of Musa Muhammad Bahago,” he said.

He reiterated the commitment of the state government to providing desired logistics and necessary material support to security agencies to operate maximally.

MORE READING!  Court remands tutor over alleged rape of student

The delegation on the condolence visit also included; the Secretary to the State Government, Alhaji Babale Umar-Yauri and the Chief of Staff, Alhaji Sulaiman Muhammad-Argungu.

Others were; Security Adviser to the Governor, Rtd. Maj. Rabiu Garba-Kamba, Permanent Secretary, Careers and Special Services, Safiyanu Garba-Bena, security agencies in the state and other top government functionaries.

MORE READING!  Man bags 12 months jail term for housebreaking, stealing

 

NAN

Continue Reading

Crime

Court sentences internet fraudster to sweep GRA in Kwara

Published

on

A judge of the Kwara State High Court, Justice Sikiru Oyinloye, on Thursday, sentenced 25-year-old Victor Salawu to sweep and clear the Government Reservation Area, Ilorin, and pay a fine of N50,000 for his involvement in Internet fraud.

The Ilorin zonal office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission arraigned Salawu before the court on one count of Internet fraud.

The charge read:

“That you, Victor Salawu, alias James Chris, sometime in the month of February 2019, in Ilorin, within the jurisdiction of this honourable court, did attempt to cheat by impersonation, by portraying yourself as a white male named James Chris, via your email address, [email protected], to one Seth B. in order to induce him to send you money, a representation you knew to be false.”

The offence, according to the EFCC, was contrary to Section 95 of the Penal Code and punishable under Section 324 of the Penal Code, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria.

MORE READING!  Court orders man to sweep premises for three hours for stealing food

Salawu pleaded guilty to the charge.

At the resumed hearing of the matter on Thursday, the prosecuting counsel, Andrew Akoja, told the court about a charge dated June 18, 2020, and prayed that it should be accepted and allowed to be read to the convict.

Delivering his judgment, Justice Oyinloye said:

“The defendant, in his statement to the commission, did not deny the allegation levelled against him; he also did not offer any explanation to discredit the charge.

“This honourable court holds that the plea of guilt of the defendant and the oral testimony of the sole prosecution witness, one Umeh Kennedy, were not challenged nor contradicted during the proceedings.

“It is the opinion of this honourable court that the prosecution has proved its case beyond reasonable doubt and that you, Victor Salawu, is hereby convicted as charged.”

Justice Oyinloye ordered the convict to sweep and clear the Ahmadu Bello Way to the Commissioner of Police’s Quarters in the GRA, Ilorin, and also pay a fine of N50,000.

MORE READING!  Man bags 12 months jail term for housebreaking, stealing

The judge also ordered that the two iPhones recovered from Salawu be forfeited to the Federal Government with a right to re-purchase it.

Continue Reading




Trending