Connect with us

Politics

Buhari presents 2020 budget to National Assembly on October 8

Published

2020 Buhari Ipaye

President Muhammadu Buhari will present 2020 budget to the joint session of the National Assembly on Tuesday, Oct. 8, says Chairman, Senate Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Mr Adedayo Adeyeye.

Adeyeye, who disclosed this at a news conference shortly after Thursday’s plenary, said the budget would be presented at 2 p.m.

MORE READING!  Sanwo-Olu commiserates with New Telegraph over editor’s death

He said it will be the first time the executive would be presenting the budget in October.

He said the National Assembly was committed to passing the budget before the end of December.

(NAN)

Politics

For the first time ever, Twitter issues fact check of Trump tweets

Published

on

Donald Trump

Twitter issued a fact check of some of Donald Trump’s tweets on Tuesday, marking the first time the U.S. president’s favoured social media platform has pushed back against him spreading falsehoods.

The move, which almost immediately heightened tensions between Trump and the social media giant, came in the form of a label under two of the president’s tweets, which claimed that mail-in voter ballots are subject to extreme fraud.

The label says “Get the facts about mail-in ballots,” and then redirects users to news articles and a bulleted list refuting Trump’s claims.

Shortly after Twitter issued the fact check, the president accused the company of “interfering” in the November presidential election and impinging on free speech.

“Twitter is completely stifling FREE SPEECH, and I, as President, will not allow it to happen!” he tweeted while doubling down on voter fraud claims.

It is unclear how Twitter will treat Trump’s future tweets that promote false information.

MORE READING!  For the first time ever, Twitter issues fact check of Trump tweets

On Tuesday, Trump issued separate tweets promoting a baseless conspiracy theory about Joe Scarborough, a liberal television news host and former congressman, which were not fact-checked by Twitter.

Nick Pacilio, a Twitter spokesman, would not comment on whether the company will continue to fact-check Trump’s tweets, saying the label is used “based on what people tweet.”

Twitter has faced a growing backlash for giving the president a massive platform to spread false information.

MORE READING!  Africa Day 2020: Buhari advocates for peace, security to achieve sustainable development

Trump, who has more than 80 million Twitter followers, says his use of social media is essential to bypass what he sees as a biased media establishment.

“Partnering with biased fake news ‘fact checkers’ is a smokescreen to lend Twitter’s obvious political tactics false credibility,” Trump’s campaign manager Brad Parscale said in a statement responding to Twitter flagging the president’s tweets.

“There are many reasons we pulled all our advertising from Twitter months ago, and clear political bias is one of them,” Parscale added.

The president has increasingly claimed that mail-in ballots are subject to high rates of fraud at the time when some states are increasing access to postal voting to protect public health ahead of the November presidential elections.

MORE READING!  Buhari is leading Nigeria well, says Femi Adesina

Election law experts say there is little evidence of increased fraud in mail-in ballots, as general voter fraud remains extremely low.

Republicans have long pushed to tighten the process for voter registration as Democrats have sought to expand voter accessibility.

Some studies show increased voter turnout is a boon for Democratic candidates.

In June of last year, Twitter said that it would mark tweets deemed to be in the public interest that violate its policies on such things as abusive behaviour and public safety.

NAN

Continue Reading

Politics

Nobody can stop me from second term– Obaseki

Published

on

Nobody can stop me from second term– Obaseki

Governor of Edo State, Godwin Obaseki has said that second term for him is non-negotiable as he deserves it and has clearly earned it.

The governor disclosed this when he received members of the Benin Unity League at Government House in Benin City on Thursday.

Mr Obaseki said: “I have said it clearly and I told my cabinet yesterday that second term for me is not negotiable.

“I am demanding it because I deserve it and I think I have earned it. We need to have it so we can continue what we are doing today.”

The governor said no one individual can determine who will become governor, noting that only God and the people can make the decision.

“I want to assure you that this is a fight that we will prevail. We will fight and succeed.

“If anybody thinks I will back out, he must be daydreaming because it is not my fight, it is about fighting for the right thing and cause.

“I am not going to back off because I know victory is sure,” the governor said.

READ ALSO: Buhari is leading Nigeria well, says Femi Adesina

Mr Obaseki said nobody had accused him of implementing a wrong policy, adding that the accusations had been on but not focusing on stomach infrastructure.

MORE READING!  Coronavirus has affected his eyesight, Boris Johnson says

The governor commended the league for understanding where the challenges were coming from and supporting the truth.

Earlier, the President of the league, Gregory Osa, said the league was social cultural and non-political, established in 1983, comprising notable Benin professionals.

Mr Osa said the visit was to join other Edo sons and daughters to say no to the mischief in some quarters to prematurely pull the governor out of office, noting that the move was borne out of selfish motive.

“You are providing an enabling environment to make Edo an industrial hub.

“We are particularly interested by your push to develop the Benin River Port and make Benin Airport an international Airport.

“You will not only win the battle, you will win the war,” he said.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

JUST IN: Ize-Iyamu emerges Edo APC Governorship candidate

Published

on

Osagie Ize-Iyamu

Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu has emerged the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Edo.

Ize-Iyamu, a former Secretary to Edo State Government (SSG), emerged on Tuesday night in Abuja through a consensus arrangement.

The Pastor of Redeemed Christian Church of God(RCCG) was presented by chairman of the screening committee, Senator Francis Alimikhena, the representative of Edo North Senatorial District.

MORE READING!  Buhari is leading Nigeria well, says Femi Adesina

Other members of the screening committee were a former Edo Deputy Governor, Lucky Imasuen; Gen. Cecil Esekhaigbe; ex-Speaker of Edo House of Assembly, Thomas Okosun; former Minority Whip of the House of Representatives, Samson Osagie; ex-member of the House of Representatives, Patrick Obahiagbon and the current Deputy Leader of the House of Representatives, Peter Akpatason.

MORE READING!  Buhari’s failure to take Atiku’s advice caused Coronavirus spread in Nigeria – Reno Omokri

Details shortly…

Continue Reading




Trending