Connect with us

Politics

Buhari’s 100 days in office characterised by indiscriminate arrest, illegal detention – Group

Published

Kingsley Obiora

The Peoples Alternative Front condemned President Muhammadu Buhari’s 100 days in office, alleging that despite his promise to respect the human rights of Nigerians, the first 100 days of his second term in office is characterised by “indiscriminate arrest and illegal detention of poor citizens by the police and other security agencies.”

According to the group, despite the abolishment of the vagrancy law in Nigeria since 1989, “thousands of women and unemployed young people are being arrested for wandering” in raids by the police around the country under the Buhari administration.

MORE READING!  Eid-el-Fitr: I observed prayers at home because of COVID-19 - Buhari

The PAF, in a statement by its National Chairman, Mr Femi Falana (SAN), lamented that while Buhari was marking the first 100 days of his second term in office last week, “scores of citizens were languishing in police and military detention facilities across the country.”

Among such detainees, the group said, were the convener of the #RevolutionNow protest, Omoyele Sowore; Cross River State-based journalist, Agba Jalingo; Navy Captain Dada Labinjo “being held at an underground cell in the Directorate of Defence Intelligence, Abuja” and 150 citizens languishing in the Nigerian Navy’s detention facilities, including the NNS Beecroft Cell at Apapa, Lagos.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Chris Ngige speaks on running for President in 2023

The group said,

“At the annual conference of the Nigerian Bar Association, which held in Lagos last month, President Buhari restated the commitment of his administration to operate under the rule of law.

“Based on such commitment, the Federal Government should comply with all court orders and direct the police and other security agencies to grant bail to criminal suspects or arraign them in courts if there is reasonable suspicion that they have committed any criminal offence.

“As the Buhari administration moves to the ‘Next Level’ the National Human Rights Commission, which was dissolved in 2015, should be reconstituted without any further delay.”

Politics

Buhari is leading Nigeria well, says Femi Adesina

Published

on

Buhari approves sack of NECO Registrar Uwakwe, four others

Femi Adesina, the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the President, Maj. Gen. Muhammadu Buhari [retd], has said that Nigerians were lucky to have a leader like his principal.

Adesina made the remark while dismissing attempts to pitch him against his principal.

The presidential spokesman maintained that Buhari was leading Nigeria well.

MORE READING!  Buhari is leading Nigeria well, says Femi Adesina

In a post on his Facebook, Adesina wrote:

“A quote from mischief-makers is making the rounds, ascribed to me. I just dey laugh.

“I am a Buharist any day, no apologies, and I believe the president is leading the country well. In fact, we are lucky to him at a time like this.

“All attempts to demonize me will fail.”

Just a few days ago, a former Presidential Adviser, Tanko Yakassai had passed a vote of no confidence on Buhari.

MORE READING!  FG's circular warning officials against leaking documents gets leaked

Yakassai had described Buhari as an incompetent leader who can’t fix the problems in the country.

Continue Reading

Politics

Sanwo-Olu commiserates with New Telegraph over editor’s death

Published

on

Lagos State Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu has commiserated with the management and staff of the New Telegraph newspaper on the death of its former Saturday Editor, Alhaji Waheed Bakare.

In a statement signed by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Gboyega Akosile, on Tuesday, the governor described the death as painful.

He said that Bakare was a prolific writer, who had a promising journalism career.

He said that the demise of Bakare was a rude shock to his family, friends, colleagues, and associates, but should be accepted as the will of God.

”We should be consoled by the modest achievements of the late editor. Death is inevitable, as we all will die.

”Our goal in life is not to live forever but to create something that will outlive us, bearing in mind that it is not the length of life that matters but the depth.

”Waheed lived an exemplary life. He was a devout Muslim, a dutiful husband, and a good father.

”Above all, he touched millions of lives through his chosen profession as a journalist, who rose to the position of Saturday Editor of a national newspaper,” he said.

Sanwo-Olu also consoled with the Lagos State chapter and the national body of the Nigeria Union of Journalists as well as the Nigeria Guild of Editors.

”No doubt, the Nigeria Union of Journalists both at the state and the national levels, as well as the Nigeria Guild of Editors will by now be mourning the loss of an illustrious member. I pray that God will comfort you.

”May God comfort his immediate family, friends, and associates. May God grant them the fortitude to bear the irreplaceable loss.

”May He grant the soul of Waheed al-Jannah firdaus. Amen,” the governor said.

MORE READING!  FG's circular warning officials against leaking documents gets leaked
Continue Reading

Politics

Coronavirus has affected his eyesight, Boris Johnson says

Published

on

Boris Johnson

The UK prime minister Boris Johnson has revealed his eyesight has been affected by the Coronavirus disease.

Johnson contracted Coronavirus and was hospitalized in April, and spent several nights in intensive care battling the disease.

Johnson told the daily Downing Street press briefing on Monday that he was “having to wear glasses for the first time in years” after suffering coronavirus.

“I’m finding that I have to wear spectacles for the first time in years – because I think of the likely effects of this thing – so I’m inclined to think there’s some … I think that’s very, very plausible that eyesight can be a problem associated with coronavirus,” he said.

Johnson’s comments come after top adviser Dominic Cummings said he made a 60 mile round trip from London to Barnard Castle in Durham to check if his eyes were good enough to drive back to London.

MORE READING!  Judge sacks Yahaya Bello as Kogi governor but it won't stand

Cummings made the statement in defence of his controversial decision to disobey lockdown rules and leave London to travel to Durham when his wife became unwell.

He said he had fallen ill with ‘COVID symptoms’ of a headache and fever the day after arriving in Durham.

After recovering, Mr Cummings said he got expert medical advice and was told he could go back to work but decided to drive with his wife because the virus had affected his eyesight.

MORE READING!  Buhari’s failure to take Atiku’s advice caused Coronavirus spread in Nigeria – Reno Omokri

Cummings said his wife did not want to risk the drive back to London and they agreed they should go for a short drive.

Mr Cummings said:

“My wife was very worried, particularly as my eyesight seemed to have been affected by the disease.

“She did not want to risk a nearly 300-mile drive with our child given how ill I had been.

“We agreed that we should go for a short drive to see if I could drive safely, we drove for roughly half an hour and ended up on the outskirts of Barnard Castle town.

“We did not visit the castle, we did not walk around the town. ‘We parked by a river. My wife and I discussed the situation, we agreed that I could drive safely, we should turn around and go home.”

Continue Reading




Trending