Connect with us

Sports

Bundesliga: Frankfurt thrash Bayern Munich 5-1

Published

Frankfurt swept aside 10-man Bayern Munich as they put five past the reigning Bundesliga champions at the Commerzbank-Arena on Saturday.

The visitors received their first red card of the season and were reduced to 10 men after just nine minutes when Jerome Boateng brought down Goncalo Paciencia as the last man.

Originally booked for the challenge which happened outside the box, referee Markus Schmidt went to the side of the pitch to review the decision before changing his mind to send off the central defender.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: EPL to resume June 17

Frankfurt took advantage of the extra man when Filip Kostic was in the right place at the right time to tuck home a deflected shot to make it 1-0 to the hosts.

The lead was then doubled eight minutes later when Djibril Sow finished off a well-worked Frankfurt move, leaving Bayern dazed and on the ropes.

However, it was Robert Lewandowski who came out punching as the Polish striker muscled his way past two defenders before finishing under Frederik Ronnow, continuing his brilliant form in front of goal.

MORE READING!  Tennis: Federer becomes world’s highest-paid Athlete, Forbes declares

David Abraham then restored their two-goal lead minutes after the restart when Danny da Costa curled a delightful cross to the back post for his team-mate to score.

After scoring the goal, Abraham was on hand to deny Lewandowski his second of the game just minutes later when he made a vital block down the other end.

While Bayern continued to try, the ball just wasn’t falling for them after Alphonso Davies’ shot smacked against the base of the post and out for a goal-kick.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: I tested positive after the premier league suspension, Brendan Rogers, reveals

The rout was complete when Goncalo Paciencia was rewarded with a goal following his fine performance at home on Saturday.

READ ALSO: EPL: Bournemouth break one month goal drought to beat Manchester United

The last time Frankfurt put five or more goals past Bayern came in the 6-0 thrashing on November 22, 1975, capping off a brilliant day for Hutter’s side.

The result sees Bayern drop to fourth place while Frankfurt sit sixth in the table after 10 games.

 

DailyMail

Sports

PSG sign striker Icardi on permanent deal

Published

on

Mauro Icardi

French champions Paris St Germain have signed striker Mauro Icardi on a permanent deal from Inter Milan, the Serie A club said on Sunday.

Argentine Icardi, 27, joined PSG in September on a season-long loan with a buy-out option.

“FC Internazionale Milano announces the transfer of Mauro Icardi to Paris Saint-Germain FC; the striker, born in 1993, has permanently moved to the French club.

“The club thanks the player for the six seasons he spent with us and wishes him the best for his future professional career,” Inter said in a statement.

Icardi scored 20 goals in 31 matches in all competitions before the season was officially concluded on April 30, with 10 games remaining due to the COVID-19 crisis.

MORE READING!  Tennis: Federer becomes world’s highest-paid Athlete, Forbes declares

He has been competing for a place in the side with Uruguay striker Edinson Cavani, PSG’s all-time top scorer, whose contract expired on June 30.

NAN

Continue Reading

Nigeria Update

Ukrainian match postponed after footballers test positive for coronavirus

Published

on

Ukraine’s top professional soccer league said on Saturday it had canceled one of its first post-lockdown matches after several players and staff at Karpaty in the western city of Lviv tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

The match between Karpaty and Mariupol from the Azov Sea port of Mariupol was supposed to be played on Sunday behind closed doors.

MORE READING!  PSG sign striker Icardi on permanent deal

The football authorities did not specify how many players had been affected by the virus and when a rescheduled match may be played.

“Those infected were immediately transferred to self-isolation. They had no symptoms,” the league said in a statement.

Ukraine’s government has started easing restrictions imposed in March to prevent the spread of the virus and allowed sports events to continue if all participants are tested and comply with other safety requirements.

MORE READING!  Tennis: Federer becomes world’s highest-paid Athlete, Forbes declares

The soccer authorities decided to resume competitions in the Premier League and the Cup with no spectators. Two of Ukraine’s most famous clubs, Dynamo Kiev and Shakhtar Donetsk, are scheduled to meet on Sunday.

Ukraine has reported 23,304 cases, including 696 deaths from the coronavirus as of May 30.

Continue Reading

Sports

Tennis’ world number 11 undergoes surgery on both ankles

Published

on

World number 11 Fabio Fognini underwent surgery on both ankles on Saturday to cure a long-standing problem.

In a statement posted on Twitter, the 33-year-old Italian tennis player said he had hoped the two-month break due to the coronavirus pandemic would have improved his situation.

“I’ve been having a problem with my left ankle for three and a half years now and it’s an issue I’ve learned to cope with,” Fognini said. “Then my right ankle started playing up in the last two years as well.

“After a medical examination and a long discussion with my team, I decided to have arthroscopic surgery on both ankles.

“I believe it’s the right thing to do while the Tour is on an enforced break. I will have surgery today`(Saturday).”

No professional tournaments have been played since the start of March because of the pandemic, and the ATP Tour has been suspended until at least the start of August.

MORE READING!  Is Cristiano Ronaldo expecting another baby?
Continue Reading




Trending