Connect with us

Sports

Champions League: Manchester United pay Barca back in own coin, increase tickets fee for travelling fans

Published

Manchester United will hike prices for away fans when they host Barcelona in their Champions League quarter-final first leg to subsidise tickets for their own supporters travelling to Spain for the return, the Premier League club said.

United, who were allocated 4,610 tickets for the second leg, were informed by Barcelona that the price for away fans at the Nou Camp would be 102 pounds ($134), which British media reported was the most expensive ticket to a United game outside of a final.

In response, United raised their ticket prices for Barcelona supporters travelling to Old Trafford to the same amount and will use the extra revenue to ensure United fans pay only 75 pounds for tickets for the second leg.

“Barcelona confirmed our tickets for this game were to be priced at 102 pounds. In this instance we believe that our travelling supporters are again being subjected to increased/excessive ticket prices from the host club,” United said in a statement.

“Similarly to Valencia in the group stages and Sevilla away last season, we have again taken the difficult decision to charge Barcelona fans for the home leg at Old Trafford the same amount that Barcelona are charging for the away fixture (102 pounds).

“We will use the additional revenue gained from this to subsidise our travelling support by paying the 27 pounds price difference for each of our travelling supporters.”

Last month, Bayern Munich fans protested against the cost of Champions League tickets by unfurling banners during the first leg of their last-16 tie at Liverpool, with the supporters of the Premier League club also backing them at Anfield.

United host Barcelona at Old Trafford on April 10 and the return leg at the Nou Camp will be played on April 16.

MORE READING!  VIDEO: Seven months pregnant doctor saving COVID-19 patients from death

Sports

Teenage Saruni dreams of debut Olympics in Tokyo

Published

on

David Saruni, Kenya’s teenage prodigy, aims to win the country’s first gold in 400m hurdle at the Olympics.

The USA based rookie, made a false start in his first time representing Kenya at the World Under-17 Championships in Nairobi in 2017 when he was disqualified for lane infringement offense.

But he returned to his training base in Kentucky (USA) and immersed in training, and not even the lockdown imposed by countries to curb COVID-19 spread has slowed him down.

Saruni has been primed as heir apparent to the late former world 400m hurdles champion, Nicholas Bett, and the 19-year-old computer science student said he is ready to pick up the gauntlet.

“It is my dream to represent Kenya at the Tokyo Olympics.

“The plan is to make it to Tokyo this year in August, but the health situation has forced a lockdown.

“However, 2021 is still a good year and I want to be in top form so that I may dominate the hurdles and be able to live the dream of my mentor Bett,’’ said Saruni on Tuesday.

With college athletics in the USA closed, Saruni, like many other sportsmen, is forced to train on his own and he loves the challenge, though it is not optimum.

“Currently, I am able to do some short runs, a lot of gym exercises and related stuff to keep me in good form.

“We will overcome this pandemic and return to competition.

“My focus is to keep improving,’’ added Saruni.

The Kenyan prodigy also has the capacity to oscillate through to 800m and 1,500m races.

MORE READING!  Man gives wife money for upkeep after court remands her, boyfriend over their plot to kill him

However, he sees his ideal race being in the hurdles.

Saruni is one of the top talents Kenya expects to parade in Nanjing, China during the rescheduled World Indoor Championships in 2021.

The competition is to be held in March at the newly-built Nanjing Cube.

The teenage athletes missed out on the chance to make the Kenya team to the 2017 World Championships after he was dropped in a controversial way from the 800m team to London with coaches opting to pick Africa silver medallist, Emmanuel Korir, Ferguson Rotich, and David Rudisha, the Olympic champion.

MORE READING!  FG screens 19 Nigerian firms for COVID-19 drugs production

His coach then, Paul Ereng, a former world 800m champion, said Saruni was to inherit Rudisha.

“There is a new sheriff in town.

“This boy is on fire; Saruni destroyed the 600m indoor world record in Albuquerque, New Mexico,’’ said Ereng.

 

Continue Reading

Sports

Holyfield will fight Mike Tyson but on one condition…

Published

on

Former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield has said he is open to facing one-time rival Mike Tyson in a trilogy fight for charity on the condition that Tyson asks for the bout to be set up.

Tyson, 53, fought two epic bouts with Holyfield, 57, during their professional careers, including their controversial 1997 encounter in which Tyson bit off a chunk of Holyfield’s ear.

MORE READING!  Babayaro: Former Chelsea star, the greatest Nigerian to play in premier league, Sodje says

‘Iron Mike’ had released several training videos in recent weeks fuelling speculation he could be returning to the ring, while Holyfield announced his return for a charity bout on Instagram earlier this month.

“If I ask him it’s almost like me being a bully saying I want to go against somebody I’ve beaten twice,” Holyfield told the BBC.

“I don’t want pressure on me that ‘you just want to fight Mike because you know you can beat him’.

“If he hits me I’m going to hit back. I’m going to be 58, he’ll be 54, you talk about being in good health and doing things the proper way that respects it. I don’t have no problem with it.”

Tyson, the first heavyweight to hold the WBA, WBC and IBF titles, retired after a loss to Kevin McBride in 2005, while Holyfield called time on his career nine years later.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Nigeria records 265 new COVID-19 cases, total now 7,526

If they do return, they will be following in the footsteps of Floyd Mayweather Jr and Manny Pacquiao in coming out of retirement for an exhibition fight.

Continue Reading

Sports

BKFC to offer ‘Iron’ Mike Tyson N20m to come out of retirement

Published

on

For some reason, there are people out there who think it’s a good idea to fight Mike Tyson. And at least one challenger is ready to put his money where the former champ’s fist might wind up.

“I think I know what we need to do to make this thing happen,” Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship president David Feldman told Bleacher Report, which reported that the organization is set to offer Mike Tyson more than $20 million to come out of retirement.

MORE READING!  BKFC to offer 'Iron' Mike Tyson N20m to come out of retirement

The 53-year-old Brooklyn native hasn’t fought in 15 years, but video or recent workouts showing Iron Mike training with the power and speed that once made him the most exciting fighter on Earth has renewed interest in what Tyson might be able to do now.

Tyson concluded one of those videos by throwing a barrage of hooks and uppercuts and saying “I’m back.”

Tyson’s rep told the Daily News on May 12 that the former champ is staying in shape, but has no matches lined up.

MORE READING!  Odion Ighalo set to leave Manchester United

The 5-foot-10, 240-pound bruiser said during an interview with rapper TI last month he might lace up the gloves for a good cause. The folks at BKFC trying to bait Tyson reportedly said they plan to sweeten their eight-figure offer to Tyson with charitable donations.

A boxing insider tells The News there have been at least four offers from fighters looking to challenge Tyson. Evander Holyfield, who beat Tyson twice before, said he’d like to get a piece of the fighter who famously bit off his ear in 1997, according to Reuters.

MORE READING!  Holyfield will fight Mike Tyson but on one condition...

The 57-year-old Holyfield told the BBC Tyson would have to ask for that fight because otherwise, it may look like he’s bullying Iron Mike, who’s 0-2 against him.

Tyson’s spokeswoman said she had no knowledge of an offer from BKFC.

Continue Reading




Trending