Connect with us

News

China begins construction of 1000-bed hospital to treat coronavirus, to be built in six days [Video]

Published

China 1000-bed hospital

The Chinese city of Wuhan is rapidly building a new 1,000-bed hospital to contain and treat the deadly coronavirus and mobilizing machinery to get it ready by early next week, state media said.

The virus has killed 25 people in China and infected more than 800, the government said on Friday, as the World Health Organisation declared it an emergency but stopped short of declaring the epidemic of international concern.

Most of the cases are in the central Chinese city of Wuhan, where the virus is believed to have originated late last year.

the official Changjiang Daily reported on Friday that the new hospital is being built around a holiday complex originally intended for local workers, set in gardens by a lake on the outskirts of the city.

MORE READING!  30 Nigerians, three Indians recover from COVID-19 in Lagos

Prefabricated buildings which will have 1,000 beds will be put up, it said.

China Global Television Network (CGTN) also shared a video of the construction site via its verified Twitter handle on Friday.

In the footage, building machinery, including diggers and bulldozers, which were said to have arrived at the site on Thursday night, were already seen at work with the aim to get the new facility ready within the set time.

“The construction of this project is to solve the shortage of existing medical resources” the report said. “Because it will be prefabricated buildings, it will not only be built fast but it also won’t cost much.”

The hospital aims to copy the experience of Beijing in 2003, when the city battled Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).

MORE READING!  Oyo records 10 new COVID-19 cases, total now 292

As many as 774 people died in the SARS epidemic, which reached nearly 30 countries.

At the time, Beijing built the Xiaotangshan hospital in its northern suburbs in just a week. Within two months, it treated one-seventh of all the country’s SARS patients, the Changjiang Daily said.

“It created a miracle in the history of medical science,” the paper added.

The Beijing hospital, built by 7,000 workers, was originally designed only to take people who were in recovery from SARS to relieve pressure on other hospitals.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Nigeria records 241 new cases of COVID-19, total now 10,819

In the end it treated nearly 700 SARS patients.

 

See video:

News

JUST IN: Nigeria records 348 coronavirus cases, total now 11,166

Published

on

Nigeria has recorded new Coronavirus cases with the NCDC announcing 348 new cases of Coronavirus in Nigeria.

Newsone Nigeria reports that the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) confirmed 348 new Coronavirus cases in a tweet on the micro-blogging site, Twitter on Wednesday evening, June 2.

This burgeoning online news platform understands that the NCDC noted that of the 348 COVID-19 cases recorded on Wednesday evening, 163 were detected in Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial city, FCT-76 Ebonyi-23 Rivers-21 Delta-8 Nasarawa-8 Niger-8 Enugu-6 Bauchi-5 Edo-5 Ekiti-5 Ondo-5 Gombe-5 Benue-4 Ogun-2 Osun-1 Plateau-1 Kogi-1 Anambra-1, southeast Nigeria.

MORE READING!  100-year-old woman recovers from Coronavirus in Indonesia

To be continued……

Continue Reading

News

Leave our daughters, sisters and mothers alone, Aisha Buhari reacts to recent rape cases

Published

on

Leave our daughters, sisters and mothers alone, Aisha Buhari reacts to recent rape cases

Wife of the Nigerian president, Mrs Aisha Buhari, has urged the Ministry of Women Affairs and all security agencies to ensure that all suspects caught in all the rape cases are brought to book.

Taking to her social media platforms, she indicated that women in Nigeria at the moment have become vulnerable.

Her post reads;

“It is devastating to hear about the gruesome death of our daughters who were mercilessly raped by men, who in some cases are their fathers, brothers, and protectors of their chastity.

Women are increasingly becoming vulnerable in a society that is expected to guaranty their safety and we owe it a duty to do everything possible to protect them.

Last year, I started working with governors’ wives of the 36 states to end gender-based violence in Nigeria. I launched a campaign with the governors’ wives and other stakeholders and issued a statement nation-wide in response to increasing and frequent reports of GBV with the slogan – Leave our daughters alone!

This was followed by a planned advocacy for the constitution of a presidential task force on ending GBV in Nigeria; prospective members were identified. The objective is to review the policy and legal framework on GBV with a view to proposing strengthening measures and an improvement plan.

READ ALSO: Suspected ritualists murder 78-year-old widow in Ekiti, drain her blood

In view of the recent developments, I, therefore, call on all stakeholders especially the Federal Ministry of Women Affairs as well as legal and security agencies to expedite action so that justice takes its course accordingly.

I will continue to work with the governors’ wives to ensure that relevant structures and policy frameworks are put in place to end gender-based violence in Nigeria.”

 

MORE READING!  Hoodlums forcefully move COVID-19 patient from Delta isolation centre

See her post below;

 

View this post on Instagram

 

It is devastating to hear about the gruesome death of our daughters who were mercilessly raped by men, who in some cases are their fathers, brothers and protectors of their chastity. Women are increasingly becoming vulnerable in a society that is expected to guaranty their safety and we owe it a duty to do everything possible to protect them. Last year, I started working with governors wives of the 36 states to end Gender-based violence (GBV) in Nigeria. I launched a campaign with the governors’ wives and other stakeholders and issued a statement nation-wide in response to increasing and frequent reports of GBV with the slogan – LEAVE OUR DAUGHTERS ALONE! This was followed by a planned advocacy for the constitution of a presidential task force on ending GBV in Nigeria; prospective members were identified. The objective is to review the policy and legal framework on GBV with a view to proposing strengthening measures and an improvement plan. In view of the recent developments, I therefore call on all stakeholders especially Federal Ministry of Women Affairs as well as legal and security agencies to expedite action so that justice takes it course accordingly. I will continue to work with the governors’ wives to ensure that relevant structures and policy frameworks are put in place to end Gender Based Violence in Nigeria.

A post shared by H.E Mrs Aisha Muhammadu Buhari (@aishambuhari) on

Continue Reading

News

Osun records new two cases of coronavirus

Published

on

The Osun Government has confirmed two new cases of coronavirus in the state.

Dr. Rafiu Isamotu, the state Commissioner For Health, in a statement on Wednesday, said the two new cases brought the number of confirmed cases of the virus in the state to 47.

Isamotu said the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Tuesday confirmed one of the two cases, while the result of the test of the second case returned positive on Wednesday.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: PTF lifts ban on religious gathering, shortens curfew

He revealed that one of the two cases was a returnee from Ibadan, and the other was a resident of Ikire, who also had contact with her visitor from Ibadan.

He added that the two patients were nursing serious ailments.

Isamotu said with the discovery of two new cases, the number of active cases in the state now stands at seven.

“The state has recorded two new cases, bringing the number of active cases in the state to seven.

” Sadly, the two newly recorded cases are nursing serious ailments that have significantly depressed their immune status,” the commissioner said.

Isamotu urged residents of the state to continue to abide by the measures put in place by the state government in ensuring that the coronavirus is contained.

MORE READING!  Oyo records 10 new COVID-19 cases, total now 292
Continue Reading




Trending