Connect with us

Politics

Christmas: Sanwo-Olu frees six inmates

Published

Lagos bond

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Christmas Day signed two Executive Orders, with one setting free six inmates at different prisons.

Sanwo-Olu’s Media Aide, Gboyega Akosile, said in a statement that the governor also commuted death sentences of three convicted inmates to life imprisonment.

The two Orders – Executive Commutation of Death Sentence Order and Executive Grant of Clemency Order – signed by the governor were both expected to take immediate effect.

Speaking on the two orders at the Cathedral Church of Christ, Marina, Lagos, Sanwo-Olu said Nigerians should return to God with hearts of gratitude for His protection over the country and Lagos State.

MORE READING!  Governor Bello lifts lockdown, insists Kogi is COVID-19 free

He said that in spite of the numerous challenges facing the nation, it kept growing stronger.

Sanwo-Olu urged Lagos residents to continue to be law-abiding and do things in moderation.

”I want to send out a message to Lagosians that this is a season of peace. Let us live peacefully and do things in moderation.

”Let us understand that even while we are celebrating, we must do it with modesty and with a lot of decorum. Let us all remain peaceful, law abiding and humble,” he said.

The Lagos State Advisory Council on Prerogative of Mercy in the performance of its statutory functions, under the Advisory Council on Prerogative of Mercy Law 2015, considered applications from convicted inmates.

MORE READING!  My wife doesn't enjoy immunity, sue her to court - Akeredolu tells SM critic

Upon due consideration of the applications, the Advisory Council recommended the commutation of death sentences to life imprisonment in respect of three convicted inmates.

The affected inmates are Muhammed Abdulkadri, Moses Akpan and Sunday Okondo.

The Order for Clemency affected six other inmates who had been set free from different correctional centres around the country.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Court orders Orji Kalu's release from prison

They are Bestman Dennar, Wasiu Jimoh, Augustine Opara, Folakemi Osin (Female), Rebecca Danladi (Female) and Nkechi Ogechi (Female).

The Executive Orders have been delivered to the State’s Attorney General and Commissioner of Justice, Mr Moyosore Onigbanjo (SAN), who would deliver them to the Prisons Service for immediate action.

Politics

Dissolution of Zamfara LG councils unconstititional – APC

Published

on

The Zamfara chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has condemned the dissolution of the 14 Local Government administrations by the state government, describing it as unconstitutional.

The state APC Chairman, Alhaji Lawal Liman, made the condemnation in an interview with the Newsmen

Reports have it that the state house of assembly had on Thursday recommended the immediate dissolution of all the councils for alleged negligence on security and financial recklessness.

MORE READING!  My wife doesn't enjoy immunity, sue her to court - Akeredolu tells SM critic

Gov. Bello Matawalle, after approving the recommendation of the house, appointed caretaker chairmen to pilot the affairs of the 14 councils.

Nine of the chairmen who had defected to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) were among those appointed as caretaker chairmen of the LGAs.

Liman described the dissolution as a violation of the Constitution, saying the APC as a law-abiding political party would not accept it.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Court orders Orji Kalu's release from prison

He said the party would follow due process to challenge the government on the matter.

“The matter of tenure of local government chairmen is before the court, therefore, we will follow the Constitutional means to challenge the government over the issue.

“This is very unfortunate, the way PDP led government is violating the constitution to protect its political interest.”

He also said that the dissolution was a “political blackmail” against the five LG council chairmen who refused to decamp to PDP.

MORE READING!  Akwa Ibom elders accuse Buhari govt of corruption, nepotism

Liman called on APC supporters in the state to remain calm, saying the party was working to protect their interests.

Continue Reading

Nigeria Update

Governor Bello lifts lockdown, insists Kogi is COVID-19 free

Published

on

COVID-19: Bello orders two weeks total lockdown in Kabba/Bunu LGA

The lockdown imposed on Kabba-Bunu Local Government Area of the state over suspected cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19), has been lifted by the Kogi state government.

Governor Yahaya Bello who made the announcement at the Government House in Lokoja on Friday, June 5, said the decision of lifting the lockdown in the local government area was reached after samples which were tested came back negative.

MORE READING!  I won’t quit Edo Guber race, Ize-Iyamu says

The Governor who insisted that Kogi state still remains a COVID-19-free state urged residents of the state to observe protocols of the World Health Organisation (WHO) and the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) to curb the spread of the disease.

This is coming days after the NCDC announced that two Coronavirus cases were confirmed in the state. Dino Melaye also confirmed this by revealing that he knows one of the patients.

MORE READING!  My wife doesn't enjoy immunity, sue her to court - Akeredolu tells SM critic
Continue Reading

Nigeria Update

Lagos to decide reopening of schools in two weeks

Published

on

LASUTH is not an isolation centre – Babajide Sanwo-Olu (video)

The Lagos State Government says the decision to reopen schools in the state will be taken in two weeks.

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, said this during a televised press briefing on Thursday.

Sanwo-Olu said the decision would be taken after an extensive meeting with stakeholders in the education sector.

He said:

“I know we are all eager to know the plans we have for the reopening of our learning institutions. There is still a lot more works to be done in this regard and we are looking at the educational sector very differently.

“However, we will continue to have our online learning at our seven higher institutions.

“On primary and secondary schools, we will be engaging with the Ministry of Education and Lagos State Safety Commission, and we will be coming out with a full and specific pronouncement in two weeks’ time.”

MORE READING!  Governor Obaseki sued over alleged certificate forgery, perjury
Continue Reading




Trending