Connect with us

News

Conoravirus patient dies in Lagos

Published

Heart-rending sight of coughing coronavirus patients laying on the hospital floor (video)

A 55-year-old man who was admitted to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi-Araba, has died in the facility.

A reliable source at the tertiary hospital said the man died of (complications arising from) the global pandemic COVID-19 disease.

The source said the hospital discovered that the patient had COVID-19 after he tested positive to the virus when Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test was done on his blood posthumously.

According to our source, the man, a 55-year-old hypertensive and diabetic patient, had presented to LUTH’s emergency unit on Thursday night with “malaise, tremors, and fever.”

He was also diagnosed with acute chronic kidney disease and sepsis, our source said.

The source, a caregiver, said the man did not disclose his travel history, and had died “a few hours” after his admission to the Federal Government-owned facility.

“The man did not give his travel history, or the fact that he had contact with someone who had travelled overseas.

“(When asked) He told the doctors that he had no history of coughs, sore throat, joint pains or diarrhoea,” our source added.

The caregiver said when the patient arrived at LUTH on Thursday night, he was sent to the “spillover unit” because the hospital had run out of bed spaces.

MORE READING!  Bola Tinubu joins the campaign for justice for Uwa, Tina and Jennifer

However, when he developed complications, a junior doctor (Reg) at the Accident & Emergency Unit reviewed his case and notified the Senior Registrar of his suspicion.

“After the Senior Registrar reviewed his case and confronted him with their findings, the man revealed the true story about his travels and his fear that he might have contracted COVID-19, and died shortly afterwards.

“He confessed that he had been coughing and that he had returned from Holland two weeks ago, where he had gone for follow-up treatment after a renal transplant he also had there.

“When confronted after the man’s death, his family members said they withheld the information about his likely COVID-19 infection because they were afraid that LUTH would reject him if they disclosed his true state,” our source added.

The man died early Friday morning, and the Lagos State coronavirus emergency workers took away his body.

MORE READING!  Mother in tears as her daughter, 4, narrates how she was raped by school teacher (video)

When a call was placed  across to the Lagos State Emergency Helpline for COVID-19, a staff at the centre said a similar call had also been placed by someone earlier regarding the incident.

“I got a call in respect of this from somebody in LUTH and we are yet to confirm that.

“We are only at the call centre to receive calls and don’t know what is going on out there,” the officer, who identified himself as Tolani, said.

Asked if it was a LUTH staff that called the helpline, Tolani said he didn’t know the persons’ identity. “I just got a random call,” he said.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Nigeria records 348 coronavirus cases, total now 11,166

He, however, told our correspondent to call back at an unstated time.

News

Edo to launch sex offenders’ register

Published

on

Edo: Decomposed body of kidnapped ex-commissioner for youth, sports, found in forest

The Edo State Government, on Wednesday, said it was working with consultants to domesticate the sex offenders’ register as part of its stance against rape and other forms of gender-based violence.

The Chairperson, Edo State Sexual and Gender-Based Violence Response Team, Prof. Yinka Omorogbe, who addressed journalists in Benin City, said the government remained committed to its zero-tolerance for any form of gender-based violence.

MORE READING!  RCCG issues guidelines for resumption of services, stops children church

Omorogbe, who is also the state’s attorney-general and commissioner for justice, stated,

“I am hoping that in the coming months, after working with our consultants, we will be able to launch our own Edo State sex offenders’ register, which is expected to be a live register to prevent manipulation.

“I want to send a message to the perpetrators out there. We are coming for you. To all those who take pleasure in inflicting violence on their spouses, children and others, know this day that your days are numbered.”

Continue Reading

News

Amnesty International to Buhari: Declare rape a national emergency

Published

on

Buhari to present amended 2020 budget to NASS next week

A global human rights organisation, Amnesty International, has called on the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), to declare rape a national crisis in the country.

Amnesty International Nigeria said on Wednesday that it joined its voice to other civil societies demanding justice for Uwaila and Barakat.

The AI Nigeria, in a series of tweets, noted that a “toxic culture that encourages men to see women as passive sex objects” must be discouraged.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: FG reviews nationwide curfew

The organisation tweeted,

“The government’s response to rape continues to be woefully inadequate. Frequent reports of rape across Nigeria are a gruesome reminder of the violence women and girls face. Violence against women and girls is often not properly registered or investigated.

“The rape and murder of 18-year-old student, Barakat Bello, in Ibadan is shocking. Amnesty International is calling on the Nigerian authorities to declare a national crisis on rape. Women and girls’ safety must be paramount across Nigeria.

“Dear President Buhari, declare rape a national crisis. Rape is a crime. If there is no consent, it is rape, even if the victim stays quiet and does not resist. The ‘boys will be boys’ mentality warps sex into something for men, done by men to women, without regard for the woman’s well-being. This toxic culture that encourages men to view women as passive sex objects needs to be addressed.

“We are joining people in Nigeria to demand justice for Omozuwa (Uwaila), who was raped and murdered in a Nigerian church. Violence against women must stop. Authorities have to ensure justice for her and other women.”

Continue Reading

News

JUST IN: Nigeria records 348 coronavirus cases, total now 11,166

Published

on

Nigeria has recorded new Coronavirus cases with the NCDC announcing 348 new cases of Coronavirus in Nigeria.

Newsone Nigeria reports that the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) confirmed 348 new Coronavirus cases in a tweet on the micro-blogging site, Twitter on Wednesday evening, June 2.

This burgeoning online news platform understands that the NCDC noted that of the 348 COVID-19 cases recorded on Wednesday evening, 163 were detected in Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial city, FCT-76 Ebonyi-23 Rivers-21 Delta-8 Nasarawa-8 Niger-8 Enugu-6 Bauchi-5 Edo-5 Ekiti-5 Ondo-5 Gombe-5 Benue-4 Ogun-2 Osun-1 Plateau-1 Kogi-1 Anambra-1, southeast Nigeria.

MORE READING!  RCCG issues guidelines for resumption of services, stops children church

To be continued……

Continue Reading




Trending