Connect with us

Coronavirus

Coronavirus: 4000 UK citizens in Nigeria want to go back home

Published

Experimental drug proves effective against Covid-19, new US study shows

No fewer than 4,000 United Kingdom citizens residing in Nigeria have shown interest in being evacuated to their country.

This was contained in a tweet assuring the Britons of their safety on Friday.

According to the British High Commission in Nigeria, efforts are ongoing to ensure that the Britons are successfully evacuated from Nigeria.

MORE READING!  NDDC says late finance director died of COVID-19

Though Nigeria has a total confirmed coronavirus cases of 190, that of UK had soared to over 3,600.

The UK Government pledged up to £75 million to bring stranded Britons back home.

It said that priority would be given to citizens on short-term visits outside the UK and those with underlying health conditions.

MORE READING!  Buhari nominates Okonjo-Iweala for WTO DG position

The tweet read,

“We fully understand the anxiety many of you face around #COVID19. Our offer of help is to stranded United Kingdom travellers who aren’t long term residents in Nigeria.

“Over 4000 people have expressed interests in return flights. We’re working around the clock to support you all.”

The UK government opened a 4,000-bed field hospital on Friday ahead announcing its highest one-day toll of 684.

MORE READING!  We'll ban churches, mosques gatherings again if..., FG says

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson is himself entering the second week of isolation with a high temperature after testing positive for the virus, but Queen Elizabeth is to make a historic address to Britain and the Commonwealth nations on Sunday.

 

Coronavirus

COVID-19: Ugandan PM goes into self-Isolation

Published

on

COVID-19: Ugandan PM goes into self-Isolation

Uganda’s prime minister on Friday said he went into a self-isolation after some of his contacts tested positive for COVID-19.

“I have gone into self-isolation after some of my contacts tested positive for COVID-19,” Ruhakana Rugunda said in a tweet.

“My own test result is negative, however, I have taken this decision as health recommended measure,” he added.

READ ALSO: FRSC redeploys 119 senior officers

Rugunda is also the head of Uganda’s COVID-19 national task force.

MORE READING!  Buhari nominates Okonjo-Iweala for WTO DG position

Uganda has so far confirmed 557 coronavirus cases, with no death and 82 recoveries, according to the US-based John Hopkins University.

Continue Reading

General

Covid-19: Bayelsa records third death

Published

on

Covid-19: Bayelsa records third death

The Bayelsa Task Force on COVID-19 has recorded the third death as the Covid-19 pandemic continues to ravage the world.

Chairman of the task force, Dr Inodu Apoku, announced this in a statement on Friday in Yenagoa.

Apoku said that the third death was from the nine new cases recorded by the state.

The National Centre for Diseases Control (NCDC) had on Thursday announced that nine new cases of COVID-19 were recorded in the state.

MORE READING!  Wuhan authorities say they tested 9.9m people for COVID-19

READ ALSO: COVID-19: Osun relaxes curfew, asks workers to resume

Apoku, also Permanent Secretary, State Ministry of Health said that the nine newly confirmed cases “bring the total number of confirmed cases in the state to 30.

“Four of out of these nine cases are contacts of previously confirmed cases while five are not epidemiologically linked to any of the previously confirmed cases.

“Three of the cases are health care professionals.

“One of these fresh unlinked cases was brought in critically ill and died a few minutes after admission.

“Following the history of the sickness, as was revealed by relatives, samples were collected for COVID-19 testing.

“She died as COVID-19 suspected cases.

“The test result returned positive, and as such, we have another COVID -19 related death making a total of three in the state.

“All remaining eight new cases have since been evacuated for further treatment at our isolation facilities,’’ Apoku said.

According to him, all their contacts are being listed and adequately followed up, including necessary environmental decontamination.

“Samples have and are still being collected from their high-risk contacts while they have all been counselled on self-quarantine.’’

Continue Reading

Nigeria Update

Governor Bello lifts lockdown, insists Kogi is COVID-19 free

Published

on

COVID-19: Bello orders two weeks total lockdown in Kabba/Bunu LGA

The lockdown imposed on Kabba-Bunu Local Government Area of the state over suspected cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19), has been lifted by the Kogi state government.

Governor Yahaya Bello who made the announcement at the Government House in Lokoja on Friday, June 5, said the decision of lifting the lockdown in the local government area was reached after samples which were tested came back negative.

MORE READING!  Wuhan authorities say they tested 9.9m people for COVID-19

The Governor who insisted that Kogi state still remains a COVID-19-free state urged residents of the state to observe protocols of the World Health Organisation (WHO) and the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) to curb the spread of the disease.

This is coming days after the NCDC announced that two Coronavirus cases were confirmed in the state. Dino Melaye also confirmed this by revealing that he knows one of the patients.

MORE READING!  Just In: Nasarawa records three deaths, nine additional COVID-19 cases
Continue Reading




Trending