Connect with us

Coronavirus

Coronavirus: Anambra bars traffic across Niger Bridge, Enugu

Published

Anambra govt

The Anambra State Government on Sunday announced that all traffic across the Niger Bridge had been barred.

It also said vehicular movements to and fro neighbouring Enugu State had been banned.
In a public service announcement by the Secretary to the Anambra State Government, Prof Solo Chukwwulobelu, it said Onitsha Head Bridge had been closed.

The announcement said,

“Only vehicles transporting food items and medicines will be allowed passage” through the borders.

It directed security agencies in the state to enforce the order with immediate effect.

MORE READING!  UNIBEN delegation visits family of slain student

The statement read in part,”

This is to notify the people of Anambra State and motorists in the state, and those wishing to pass through Anambra state that the Government of Delta state has announced closure of all its land borders with effect from Sunday, 29th of March, 2020.

“Motorists are advised not to travel through the Niger Bridge Head, Onitsha to avoid putting pressure on the bridge. Motorists will not be able to drive into Delta state as a result of the border closure order in place.

“The government of Anambra state is also announcing the closure of Onitsha Head bridge with immediate effect to discourage vehicles queuing up on the bridge. The security agencies are hereby directed to enforce this.

“Motorists should also note that the government of Enugu state has announced the closure of its land borders with effect from Tuesday, March 31, 2020.

“As a consequence,the government of Anambra state hereby reiterates its earlier directive for people to stay at home and observe strictly the coronavirus advisory and directives earlier issued.”

Coronavirus

Covid-19: WHO set to resume hydroxychloroquine trials

Published

on

Covid-19: WHO set to resume hydroxychloroquine trials

The World Health Organization says it will resume its trial of hydroxychloroquine, the malaria drug backed by President Donald Trump to combat the deadly coronavirus, according to CNBC reports.

The Data Safety Monitoring Board decided there was no reason to discontinue the international trial after reviewing available data on the drug, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a press conference Wednesday at the agency’s Geneva headquarters.

“The executive group received this recommendation and endorsed the continuation of all arms of solidarity trial including hydroxychloroquine,” he said.

On May 25, WHO announced it had temporarily suspended its trial of the drug over safety concerns. The announcement came days after a study published in the medical journal The Lancet, which is now being reexamined, found that hospitalized Covid-19 patients treated with hydroxychloroquine had a higher risk of death than those who didn’t take it.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Nigeria records 387 new COVID-19 cases, total now 10162 cases

The move by the agency spurred French drugmaker Sanofi and others to temporarily suspend recruitment their own trials looking at the drug.

Tedros said Wednesday that the safety board will continue to closely monitor the safety of all therapeutics being tested in its trials, which include more than 3,500 patients across 35 countries.

“WHO is committed to accelerating the development of effective therapeutics, vaccines and diagnostics as part of our commitment to serving the world with science, solutions and solidarity,” he said.

 

MORE READING!  RCCG issues guidelines for resumption of services, stops children church
Continue Reading

News

JUST IN: Nigeria records 348 coronavirus cases, total now 11,166

Published

on

Nigeria has recorded new Coronavirus cases with the NCDC announcing 348 new cases of Coronavirus in Nigeria.

Newsone Nigeria reports that the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) confirmed 348 new Coronavirus cases in a tweet on the micro-blogging site, Twitter on Wednesday evening, June 2.

This burgeoning online news platform understands that the NCDC noted that of the 348 COVID-19 cases recorded on Wednesday evening, 163 were detected in Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial city, FCT-76 Ebonyi-23 Rivers-21 Delta-8 Nasarawa-8 Niger-8 Enugu-6 Bauchi-5 Edo-5 Ekiti-5 Ondo-5 Gombe-5 Benue-4 Ogun-2 Osun-1 Plateau-1 Kogi-1 Anambra-1, southeast Nigeria.

MORE READING!  UNIBEN delegation visits family of slain student

To be continued……

Continue Reading

Nigeria Update

COVID-19: Anambra to fine face masks defaulters N10,000

Published

on

The Anambra State Government will fine any resident who fails to wear a face mask the sum of N10,000.

This was disclosed by Governor Willie Obiano in a state-wide broadcast to the people of the state.

Obiano also warned traders in the state to keep to the COVID -19 rules or he would shut down the market again.

He said,

“We have 69 individuals on home quarantine and two individuals in the facility based quarantine.

“We shall continue to push back at this pandemic until we have reduced its presence in Anambra State.

“We are ramping up our testing capacity to ensure that we slow down the spread of this pandemic in our dear state.

“The Covid-19 Committees that we have set up in wards and local governments across Anambra State are helping us in driving the campaign to every nook and cranny of the state.

He said he had signed the COVID-19 Bill into law, adding that it was now an offence to be seen in the public without a face mask.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Nigeria records 241 new cases of COVID-19, total now 10,819

“The offence attracts a fine of N10,000 or some hours of community service. I would like to re-emphasize that my administration is determined to enforce this law, adding

“The information we received from different quarters indicate that our people have started lowering their guard on the COVID-19 protocols.

“I have it on good authority that traders in various markets no longer comply with the enforcement of the wearing of face masks and the washing of hands.

” I want to warn that we may consider shutting down the markets if this trend is not halted with immediate effect.

“I have also received similar reports from churches and other religious groups in the state most of whom have discarded the wearing of face masks.

” I urge the leadership of all religious bodies in Anambra State to ensure compliance with the standard protocols of COVID-19 without further delay.”

Continue Reading




Trending