Connect with us

Coronavirus

Coronavirus: Customers are shunning us, commercial sex workers cries out

Published

COVID-19: National association of commercial &e.x workers announce suspension of ‘Essential Services’ for now

Commercial sex workers in Delta State have cried out over low patronage because of the coronavirus.

Already, economic and commercial activities have been grounded in not only the state but the country at large as the deadly virus has infected about 46 people and killed the former Managing Director of the Petroleum and Product Marketing Company (PPMC), Mr. Suleiman Achimugu.

Low patronage has forced hotel and shopping mall owners to place their workers on compulsory leave in Asaba, the state capital until the tension surrounding the disease subsides.

MORE READING!  Man stranded in philippines airport for 110 days due to coronavirus lockdown

This came as markets, schools, clubhouses, playgrounds and recreational centres are set to shut down across the state.

Sex workers said they were facing hard times within the metropolis as patronage has dropped for fear of having contact with an unsuspecting carrier of the disease.

An Assistant Manager of one of the five-star hotels on Mariam Babangida Way in Asaba, Mr. Godwin Johnson, yesterday said the disease had put his job on the line.

A club attendant on the popular DBS Road in Asaba, who identified herself simply as Vidal, said 10 out the 22 workers at their “Rock and Roll” organisation, had been placed on standby, owing to low patronage.

MORE READING!  Broadway actor, Nick Cordero passes away after battle with Coronavirus

She said:

“Since the disease hit Nigeria through Lagos State and Abuja, and government emphasised restricted access at air and seaports, and banned mass gathering, offering of social amenities and playing of danceable music at clubs drastically dropped within Asaba metropolis. The aftermath is the job insecurity we have been plunged into.”

Vidal said sex workers had recorded low patronage since the outbreak of the disease as customers suddenly lost interest.

MORE READING!  Coronavirus: 201 health workers test positive in Edo

A proprietor of an establishment that provides accommodation, foods and drinks on DBS Road, who pleaded anonymity, was optimistic that the disease would be a blessing in disguise.

She said,

 “We overcame Ebola, Monkey-pox, and Lassa fever as a nation. Coronavirus will not be an exception. The spread has seriously affected nightlife. Male customers have stayed away, female counterparts are lonely. There is low patronage now.”

Nigeria Update

Kwara CoS death: Contact tracing begins

Published

on

Kwara State Government has directed that all persons who have had contact with the late chief of staff in the last 14 days to proceed to the COVID-19 Infectious Disease Centre/Hospital at Sobi, Ilorin.

This is to ensure the immediate collection of their samples for test.

Aminu Adisa Logun died on Tuesday evening from COVID-19 complications.

Commissioner for Health Dr Raji Razak said:

“Such persons will thereafter proceed to self-isolate until the result of their test is communicated to them.”

The remains of the deceased were interred yesterday at his Ilorin GRA residence.

MORE READING!  Tiger mauls female zookeeper to death in front of visitors

He said:

“After due consultations, the family and the government of Kwara State hereby announce that a dignifying COVID-19 compliant janazah would be held in honour of the late Chief of Staff on Wednesday (today) July 8th at his GRA home in Ilorin, the state capital.

“His janazah shall be supervised by the burial team of the COVID-19 Technical committee in accordance with extant protocols for Muslims.

“The janazah prayer shall be led by the Chief Imam of Ilorin. Only selected family members, a few clerics appointed by His Eminence the Emir of Ilorin, and a few government officials are to attend.

“We empathise with the Governor of Kwara state, the family of our Chief of Staff, and all Kwarans at this mourning period. We further advise that friends, families and associates should please mourn and pray for him from their respective abodes.

“We emphasise that members of the public should kindly respect the privacy of the family and all safety rules at this time and always.”

Continue Reading

General

Covid-19: Enugu records 37 new cases, 11 deaths

Published

on

As the number of the novel coronavirus cases in Enugu state increased to 418, the state has announced that 11 persons have died from the virus as of Wednesday morning.

The State Commissioner of Health, Dr. Ikechukwu Obi, who disclosed the frightening development in a statement, also confirmed new 37 Covid-19 cases in the state.

MORE READING!  COVID-19 panel member dies in Benue

Dr Obi said that the new laboratory-confirmed Covid-19 cases have brought the total laboratory-confirmed cases in the state to 418.

He said the;

“number of Covid-19 cases on treatment 186, while the number of Covid-19 cases discharged – 221 and the number of Laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 related deaths 11.”

The Commissioner, however, advised the general public to be responsible, warning that “Covid-19 is real.”

MORE READING!  Panic as Nigerian woman shares disturbing post on social media

 

Continue Reading

General

Covid-19: Edo death toll hits 50

Published

on

The death toll from COVID-19 in Edo State has climbed to 50, with 1,435 people testing positive for the disease.

The state, however, said 840 persons have been discharged from its isolation facilities.

Commissioner for Health Dr Patrick Okundia, who stated these to reporters in Benin City, noted that over 50 per cent of the deaths recorded in the state are within the age category of 60 years and above.

MORE READING!  Woman, 24, stoned to death by her husband, his brother in 'honour killing'

He urged residents to be cautious in protecting themselves and their loved ones.

Expressing worry over the alarming rate of community spread of the virus, Okundia said there was a need for residents to take responsibility and support the government’s efforts at containing the pandemic across communities.

According to him,

“Physical distancing, compulsory use of face masks, hand hygiene and other epidemiological safety rules must be strictly followed to prevent further spread of COVID-19 and protect the people, especially the elderly, who are most vulnerable to COVID-19.”

The commissioner explained that the state recorded 52 new confirmed cases with 32 tested at the Irrua Specialist Hospital (ISTH) laboratory, while the remaining 20 cases were confirmed at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH) laboratory.

MORE READING!  Panic as Nigerian woman shares disturbing post on social media

Okundia, however, reiterated the need for citizens to present or report themselves through the state COVID-19 toll-free response lines, following any recent travel from high incidence states or contact with confirmed cases.

 

Continue Reading




Trending