Connect with us

Coronavirus

Coronavirus: FG raises concerns as Nigeria records second death

Published

Coronavirus: FG raises concerns as Nigeria records second death

The Federal Government has expressed concerns as cases of coronavirus in Nigeria shot to 111 cases as of Monday with a second death recorded.

The Secretary to the Government of Federation, Boss Mustapha, however, said the government would do its best to contain the situation.

Mustapha, who spoke at a joint press briefing with the Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire, in Abuja said the situation required the support of all residents.

He said, “We don’t know how long this thing will last; that’s the truth about it. I believe with sheer determination of all Nigerians we will overcome these challenges.

“We are doing everything to ensure the conformity of policies with state governments, we will do everything within our power to stop the case.”

He added, “Let me use this medium to appeal to all Nigerians, through you, for full understanding, unity of purpose and in the interest of humanity, to observe all measures put in place, remain vigilant and cooperate with security and other agencies who are toiling day and night to keep us safe and alive.”

Ehanire gave the breakdown of the conform cases as Lagos – 68, Federal Capital Territory -21, Oyo -7, Ogun -3, Bauchi -2, Edo -2, Osun -2, Enugu -2, Benue -1, Ekiti -1, Kaduna -1 and Rivers State.

He said three persons had already been discharged after successful treatment.

MORE READING!  Buhari‘s nephew, Ibrahim Dauda, dies in Daura

According to him, the majority of the victims are persons who came from abroad while others are those who had contact with them.

Ehanire said, ‘Till date, three persons have been discharged from successful treatment but sadly, another fatality was recorded over the weekend in the person of a patient who had an underlying illness.

“We have intensified contact tracing and our strategy remains to promptly detect cases, isolate them and follow up with contacts, isolate and treat, in order to reduce the spread of infection.”

The minister explained that it required four weeks of monitoring and treatment to declare an infected person free after testing negative twice within 24 hrs.

Responding to a question, Ehanire said no country could boast of having enough ventilators although not required for all cases.

He said, “The question of ventilator – yes we are addressing it. There is no country in this world that has enough ventilators. Of all the cases we have had so far only one requires a ventilator. Some require just Oxygen. Probably less than four per cent of the cases we are dealing with will require a ventilator.

“Government is also taking inventory of what each state requires —The number of ventilators you have in-country does not decide your rate of survival.’

READ ALSO: Rotterdam concert hall to admit coronavirus patients

The minister noted that the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control had expanded its capacity by engaging hundreds of ad-hoc staff to support various areas of response including the call centres, contact tracing and follow-up of persons of interest.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Uganda records 84 new cases toll now 413

Ehanire said the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), had approved that all retired but essential and able staff be recalled to service.

He said the President had also issued directives for all Federal Government stadia, pilgrims camps and other facilities to be converted to isolation centres and makeshift hospitals for use as and when the situation so demands.

To increase access to testing, the minister said the Federal Government was working hard to open up as many testing sites as possible.

He said, “We project that in three weeks, seven more laboratories in Abakiliki, Kaduna, Kano, Maiduguri, Port Harcourt and Sokoto will be added to this network to further expand testing capacity nationwide.

“I urge the members of the public to note that testing is free and at no cost to the public. Anyone demanding to be paid or given a tip should be immediately reported to the appropriate authorities.”

Ehanire said only those with symptoms such as fever, cough, difficulty breathing or shortness of breath in an area of medium or high prevalence of COVID-19, could test for the disease.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: S/Korea reports 27 more cases

He added that only results of a test from one of the six molecular laboratories for COVID-19 in Nigeria were reliable because the Rapid Diagnostic Tests gave unreliable results.

He added, “As the situation evolves, we shall need to focus our limited resources on those persons, who actually need them most critically; from testing to the treatment of confirmed cases.

“In the absence of a vaccine, preventive measures such as social distancing, have proven to be highly effective in curbing the spread of the disease in other parts of the world.”

As part of measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus, the minister said only ships that had been at sea for more than 14 days could dock in ports after crew members have been confirmed to be healthy and negative for COVID-19.

“An exception to the 14-day restriction are vessels carrying oil and gas products, where human interphase between crew and shore is absent or insignificant.

“These measures may cause inconveniences, but I urge all citizens to accept and practice them in good faith, as they are for our common good and in the interest of us all. The earlier we collectively take responsibility, the sooner we can go back to living our normal lives.”

Nigeria Update

COVID-19: Anambra to fine face masks defaulters N10,000

Published

on

The Anambra State Government will fine any resident who fails to wear a face mask the sum of N10,000.

This was disclosed by Governor Willie Obiano in a state-wide broadcast to the people of the state.

Obiano also warned traders in the state to keep to the COVID -19 rules or he would shut down the market again.

He said,

“We have 69 individuals on home quarantine and two individuals in the facility based quarantine.

“We shall continue to push back at this pandemic until we have reduced its presence in Anambra State.

“We are ramping up our testing capacity to ensure that we slow down the spread of this pandemic in our dear state.

“The Covid-19 Committees that we have set up in wards and local governments across Anambra State are helping us in driving the campaign to every nook and cranny of the state.

He said he had signed the COVID-19 Bill into law, adding that it was now an offence to be seen in the public without a face mask.

MORE READING!  Oyo records 10 new COVID-19 cases, total now 292

“The offence attracts a fine of N10,000 or some hours of community service. I would like to re-emphasize that my administration is determined to enforce this law, adding

“The information we received from different quarters indicate that our people have started lowering their guard on the COVID-19 protocols.

“I have it on good authority that traders in various markets no longer comply with the enforcement of the wearing of face masks and the washing of hands.

” I want to warn that we may consider shutting down the markets if this trend is not halted with immediate effect.

“I have also received similar reports from churches and other religious groups in the state most of whom have discarded the wearing of face masks.

” I urge the leadership of all religious bodies in Anambra State to ensure compliance with the standard protocols of COVID-19 without further delay.”

Continue Reading

Coronavirus

Covid-19: Brazil records largest daily increase in deaths

Published

on

Covid-19: Brazil records largest daily increase in deaths

Brazil, on Tuesday, recorded its largest daily increase in deaths related to the novel coronavirus, data by the country’s Health Ministry showed.

The country confirmed 1,262 new virus-related deaths, bringing the total toll to 31,199, according to the latest official figures.

Tuesday’s daily jump was the steepest since the first victim was confirmed on March 17, the data showed, surpassing the record set on May 21 of 1,188 deaths in a day.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Africa’s cases hit 150,000- WHO

The ministry also reported almost 29,000 new infections for a total of 555,383 cases.

After the United States, Brazil is the country with the highest number of officially recorded infections worldwide.

Brazil’s death toll is in fourth place globally, behind the U.S., Britain and Italy, according to data collected by Johns Hopkins University in the U.S.

READ ALSO: COVID-19: Bauchi deputy governor tests positive

Seeing as the biggest nation in Latin America is carrying out relatively low levels of testing, the real figure is likely significantly higher.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: FG discharges Saudi Arabia returnees

There have been at least 29,314 coronavirus deaths so far in the country.

In many cities in Brazil, hospitals have reached capacity.

Authorities have set up makeshift clinics in football stadiums.

Meanwhile, a dispute between President Jair Bolsonaro, several governors and congress has paralysed the country.

Right-wing populist leader, Bolsonaro, sees the COVID-19 lung disease as a “mild flu” and has rejected protective measures.

MORE READING!  Buhari will do well to listen to the words of Dangiwa Umar- Fani Kayode says

But many state leaders have put in place their own restrictions on movement and public life to stem the spread of the virus.

On Sunday, clashes were reported between Bolsonaro supporters, anti-government protesters and the Police in several Brazilian cities.

 

 

 

 

 

 

NAN

Continue Reading

General

COVID-19: Bauchi deputy governor tests positive

Published

on

COVID-19: Bauchi deputy governor tests positive

The Deputy Governor of Bauchi state, Mr Baba Tela, has tested positive to the novel Coronavirus, a statement issued by the state government revealed on Wednesday.

The statement, signed by  Mr Muktar Gidado, Senior Special Assistant (SSA) on media to the state governor, indicated that test by Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) confirmed the development.

According to Gidado, Tela, who is also the Chairman, State Task Force Committee on COVID-19, was tested after exhibiting noticeable symptoms of the virus, adding that all his primary contacts had been taken for screening.

“This is to inform the general public that His Excellency, Sen. Baba Tela, Deputy Governor of Bauchi State, was confirmed positive of Coronavirus.

“The confirmation was sequel to a test carried out on him by NCDC when he exhibited noticeable symptoms of the disease.

“He contracted the disease while discharging his onerous responsibility as Chairman of the State Committee on COVID-19.

READ ALSO: NDDC says late finance director died of COVID-19

“Consequently, he has gone into self-isolation in Bauchi and health professionals are properly managing his situation.

“Similarly, samples of all his primary contacts have been taken by NCDC for tests and they are advised to remain in isolation pending the outcome of their results,” Gidado said.

The SSA further stressed that Gov. Bala Mohammad had sympathised with his deputy and solicited for prayers from all for his speedy recovery.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: BUA foundation donates N200m, five ambulances to Lagos

He said that the governor also called on the citizens to adhere strictly to the protocols against the dreaded virus to curtail its spread in the State.

Newsmen report that Bauchi state, as at Tuesday, June 2, had recorded a total 241 cases of COVID-19, out of which 221 had been discharged while eight had died.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Libya reports 12 new cases, toll now 168

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

NAN

 

Continue Reading




Trending