Connect with us

Coronavirus

Coronavirus: Idris Elba’s wife, Sabrina tests positive

Published

Coronavirus: Idris Elba’s wife, Sabrina tests positive

British actor, Idris Elba’s wife, Sabrina Dhowre has announced that she tested positive for coronavirus, few days after her husband tested positive for the same virus.

In an interview with Oprah Winfrey through FaceTime for an episode of “Oprah Talks: COVID-19” on Apple TV, the couple explained their decision to stay together.

Recall that the couple received backlashes online after they posted a video explaining Idris Elba’s confirmed test results, with his wife sitting close by.

Sabrina Elba told Winfrey that it was her choice to stay with her husband, though medical experts have advised that those who test positive for coronavirus isolate away from others to slow the spread.

“I could have made the decision to put myself maybe in a separate room or stay away, and I’m sure that people are making those decisions. And they’re tough decisions to make,” Sabrina Elba said.

“But I made the decision to want to be with him, and you know, still touch him.”

Idris Elba explained that they had been together on the day of his probable exposure to the person who he was in contact with that tested positive, and had been together until he left to begin filming a new movie.

“If I had caught it, she had certainly caught it in that time period as well,” Idris Elba told Oprah.

“People were right to have highlighted that spatial distancing is important. I think given the context of the video, which was telling the world what has happened to us, we weren’t thinking about that specifically.”

READ ALSO: Atiku’s son contracts coronavirus

MORE READING!  Comedian Oluwadolarz responds to rape allegations

Both say they feel well and have not experienced symptoms of COVID-19, the disease associated with coronavirus. Sabrina Elba said that she feels the equivalent of seasonal allergies that might be symptoms, but she feels fine overall.

They both acknowledged that they could still fall ill at any point.

The “Luther” and “The Wire” actor first revealed he tested positive after being exposed on Monday and has posted updates on his social media for fans.

MORE READING!  Buhari presides over Virtual FEC meeting

Idris Elba has used his platform, which includes nearly three million Twitter followers, to inform people on the seriousness of the pandemic.

In a video Tuesday, he pointed out commenters who spread the false rumour that black people can’t catch the coronavirus.

Idris Elba reiterated the message to stop misinformation to Winfrey on Sunday.

“I’d rather go out with a positive, knowing that other people benefitted from, you know, the messaging that we’re trying to put out,” Idris Elba said.

“You know, stop trolling people, stop sending misinformation. Stop, you know, writing these incredible stories about, you know, conspiracy theories.”

 

MORE READING!  Warner Music strikes a chord as shares pop on Nasdaq debut

See video below:

Metro

Plateau’s COVID-19 index case battling stiigma after her identity was leaked

Published

on

Hauwa’u Yakubu’s name was leaked as the first confirmed COVID-19 case in Plateau State. After three weeks in isolation, she was released without showing any symptom but she has returned to a world in which she is being stigmatized over a disease she thinks she never had.

On April 17, a team of National Centre for Disease Control and Plateau State Government officials drove into the Dogon Karfe area of Jos, the capital. They came for a certain Hauwa’u Yakubu, who was completely oblivious as to why they had come for her.

Apparently, Hauwa’u, 20, a secondary school leaver and tailor had just returned from Kano, where she had attended a relative’s wedding. But Kano already had an outbreak of COVID-19, which by the time had reached community transmission level, and it was based on this that they came for Hauwa’u to collect her samples for tests and to put her in isolation.

By April 23, when those test results came back as positive and were made public, Hauwa’u life would change in ways she had not imagined before. She became the Plateau State COVID-19 index case.

The news threw the state into some confusion and Hauwa’u suddenly became the subject of gossips and insults for allegedly bringing coronavirus to the state. Insults for allegedly travelling, upon her return from Kano, to Yelwa and Gindiri to see relatives and inadvertently spread the infection.

“Immediately I arrived Jos [from Kano] on April 17, I was picked up by government officials even before I entered the house,” Hauwa’u said. “I didn’t spend much time on my arrival before I was picked up, not to talk about travelling to Gindiri and Yelwa. In fact, I have never known the two places mentioned in my life.”

She has been deeply hurt by the information spread about her, which have left her stigmatized, even now that she had been cleared. She believes those behind the rumours are mischief-makers.

MORE READING!  Comedian Oluwadolarz responds to rape allegations

But how did she come to be in this situation?

“When I arrived Jos at about 4 pm, some people within the community informed NCDC that I had arrived from Kano and I had seen COVID-19 patients and had interactions with them. That story is fabricated. I hadn’t interacted with COVID-19 patients,” she said.

Whatever the case, on the strength of that information the team arrived to pick her up. She was first taken to an isolation centre in Hipang, in Barikin Ladi LGA, where she spent a week. It was there that her sample was first taken for tests. She received news of the test results on social media.

The Plateau State government said it was investigating the “unprofessional” leak of information.

“Plateau State Government is investigating the circumstances surrounding the leak of the confidential laboratory result of some suspected COVID-19 cases carried out at the National Veterinary Research Institute  Testing Centre in Vom which has been circulating in the social media,” Dan Manjang, the commissioner of information and communication said in an April 25 statement.

The leak, however, baffled Hauwa’u and her family as even though it was her name, the picture that made the rounds on social media was not hers. That gave her some false hope that perhaps she was not the person in question.

After a week at Hipang, Hauwa’u was moved to another isolation centre at Jos University Teaching Hospital (JUTH), where she spent almost two weeks.

“Since the time I was picked up from home to the time I was discharged and brought back home, I was asymptomatic,” she said. “There was no sign of coronavirus in my body if what we see on TV and hear on the radio are the symptoms of the disease. All I know is that even before the incident, I have ulcer and that has been my health problem for some years.”

In her three weeks in isolation, she was only administered with a dose of chloroquine on one occasion. She doubts she actually tested positive for the virus.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: 103-year old survivor celebrates with cold beer

Now though, her business and social life have been affected by the stigma of the whole episode.

“My customers are running away from me now because of the news that I tested positive for coronavirus. Since I came back from Kano, nobody has come for my service,” she said. 

“But I thank God that I have been cleared. All I know is that I am healthy and have left everything to Allah.”

Her paternal grandmother, Adama Muhammad, who stays with her is saddened by the damage done to her granddaughter.

“I am not happy because some people have lied against my granddaughter which has spoiled her name,” she said. 

“Her customers have ran away from her. Hauwa’u is a good tailor and has been assisting the family from what she earns but this incident has made everything difficult for her now because of stigmatization.”

She said the stigmatization has extended to other members of the family and blames the leak and called it a “blackmail meant to tarnish the image of our family.”

On rumours on social media that the state government had given the family N150,000, to calm them down, the grandmother said, “We haven’t received any cash or item from anybody. They brought her back home without anything. That story is not true.”

Despite the stigmatisation, the grandmother said the family is happy with Hauwa’u’s return, adding that she was embraced by all and sundry and wished her success and prosperity in her future endeavours.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Bayelsa records second death

A youth leader at Dogon Karfe, Muhammed Shugaba, who spoke on behalf of the community described the development as an unethical and unprofessional from some officials at the NVRI, from where the leak occurred.

“Leaking the result to the public is unacceptable to us and we will never accept it. Thus, we demand an explanation on this embarrassment and public defamation of character of the community and our daughter whose confidentiality was bridged.

“The situation seems to be politically influenced. We, therefore, as a community, demand a public apology and immediate investigation into the circumstances that led to this unwarranted and unacceptable situation from the state taskforce on COVID-19. We will not be deterred to initiate legal proceedings in the matter is not addressed properly, “ he said.

Contacted on how far the government has gone with the investigation, the state commissioner of health, Nimkong Larndam told Daily Trust that investigation is ongoing.

“Those who worked on the sample are currently being investigated. However, nobody has admitted to leaking the results but we must get to the button of the matter. We have handed the case over to an expert body. We have involved the security in the matter. They have gone far and we are just waiting for them to submit their reports,” the commissioner said.

The family and the community are waiting to see how those responsible for the leak would be punished as the government said but for Hauwa’u, the journey to regaining her image is going to be long and slow.

Source: Daily Trust

Continue Reading

health

37 health workers test positive for COVID-19 in Kaduna

Published

on

Kaduna government to enforce the use of face masks

The Kaduna state government has said that at least 37 health workers have tested positive for COVID-19 in the state.

The Deputy Director of the state’s Primary Healthcare Development Agency, Hamza Ibrahim Ikara, said this on Wednesday, after a COVID-19 sensitization program for district heads and traditional title holders under Zazzau Emirates.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: FG approves five airports for flight resumption

Ikara noted that 20 health workers have already been discharged from the isolation centre out of the 37 patients. Ikara, however, confirmed that the state has over 200 active cases with eight fatalities.

“As we speak, since the outbreak of COVID-19 in the state, we have 37 health workers that have been affected by COVID-19 but almost 20 of them have been discharged while the remaining ones are under admission.

“So the virus is real,” he said.

Speaking further, the official added that the COVID-19 virus has spread to nine local government areas in the state such as Chukun, Kaduna North, Kaduna South, Zaria and Sabon Gari, as well as Soba, Giwa, and Makarfi.

MORE READING!  You no get respect, Blackface lambastes Wizkid for calling Buhari, Trump clueless
Continue Reading

Coronavirus

WHO to resume trial of hydroxychloroquine on COVID-19

Published

on

Covid-19: WHO set to resume hydroxychloroquine trials

The World Health Organisation (WHO) says it will resume its trial of hydroxychloroquine for the treatment of coronavirus (COVID-19) patients.

WHO Director-General, Dr Tedros Ghebreyesus, stated this in official twitter account of the UN health agency.

According to him, the hydroxychloroquine section of the WHO’s Solidarity Trial can resume after being paused temporarily on May 25.

The trial’s Data Safety and Monitoring Committee had halted the study as a precaution in response to safety concerns raised by an observational study published in the Lancet.

Ghebreyesus said the Data Safety Monitoring Board’s review had been completed.

“Last week, the Executive Group of the Solidarity Trial decided to implement a temporary pause of the hydroxychloroquine arm of the trial, because of concerns raised about the safety of the drug.

“This decision was taken as a precaution while the safety data were reviewed; the Data Safety and Monitoring Committee of the Solidarity Trial has been reviewing the data.

“On the basis of the available mortality data, the members of the committee recommended that there are no reasons to modify the trial protocol.

“The Executive Group received this recommendation and endorsed the continuation of all arms of the Solidarity Trial, including hydroxychloroquine.

“The Executive Group will communicate with the principal investigators in the trial about resuming the hydroxychloroquine arm,’’ he said.
The director-general said the Data Safety and Monitoring Committee would continue to closely monitor the safety of all therapeutics being tested in the Solidarity Trial.

“So far, more than 3,500 patients have been recruited in 35 countries.

“WHO is committed to accelerating the development of effective therapeutics, vaccines and diagnostics as part of our commitment to serving the world with science, solutions and solidarity,’’ he said.

Meanwhile, Nigeria, on May 27, declared that it would continue with hydroxychloroquine clinical trials on COVID-19 patients.

MORE READING!  Male models call out colleague for allegedly molesting them

Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, the Director-General of National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) said the country would continue with the drug, in spite of the initial warning by WHO to discontinue using it.

”I do not know the data that they’re looking at, whether it’s from the Caucasian population or from the African population.

”If the data they’re looking at, and the reason for suspending the trials, is from the Caucasian population, then it may be justified.

“But I don’t think we have data from the African population yet, because our genetic makeup is different.

”If medical doctors, research scientists, pharmacists, herbal experts work together, we should conclude the clinical trial in three-four months.
“The narrative might change afterward but for now, we believe in hydroxychloroquine,” she said.

(NAN)

MORE READING!  COVID-19: FG approves five airports for flight resumption
Continue Reading




Trending