Connect with us

health

Coronavirus: Obiano self-isolates over contact with Bauchi governor

Published

The Anambra State Government on Monday said the state governor, Willie Obiano, had gone into self-quarantine of the coronavirus.

It said the governor’s decision was informed following his contact with the Bauchi State Governor Bala Mohammed in a meeting in Abuja.

Mohammed reportedly had tested positive to the disease.

The Secretary to the State Government, Prof Solo Chukwulobelu disclosed this at a press briefing on Monday.

He said the governor had been in self-quarantine for 11 days and had not exhibited any symptoms of the disease.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Kaduna govt. begins community case-search, visits 29,771 households

He said,

“The governor was at the National Executive Council meeting in Abuja and you know how the sitting arrangement is, after the Anambra State governor, you get the Bauchi State governor, who has announced his status recently.

“But if you are aware of the sitting arrangement during the meeting, you will find out that they usually observe social distancing. That you are in a hall with a man who has the disease does not mean that you can be infected.

“The governor is a very enlightened person, and because he knows he has been in a meeting with such calibre of persons, he decided to go into self-quarantine.

” I have not seen him for the past week; we only talk on the telephone. We had two hours meeting on Sunday online There is no cause for alarm over his health “.

He appealed to individuals and corporate organisations to donate to the state government COVID-19 account to enable the state to maintain its zero record of the disease.

MORE READING!  Hoodlums forcefully move COVID-19 patient from Delta isolation centre

He said about N1bn had been spent to procure personal preventive equipment, stressing that it was not enough for a population of about seven million people.

Meanwhile, the United Bank for Africa had donated the sum of N28.5m to the state government to help to fight the scourge.

The regional head of UBA, Cashmere Molokwu who presented the cheque to the state government on Monday at the conference Hall of Government House said the bank saw the need to join the government in the fight against the scourge, hence the donation.

MORE READING!  RCCG issues guidelines for resumption of services, stops children church

health

COVID-19: Edo NMA donates protection items to UBTH

Published

on

The Nigerian Medical Association (NMA), Edo branch, has donated protective items to the University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH) to support the response to COVID-19 pandemic in the state.

Presenting the materials, the state NMA Chairman, Dr. Valentine Omoifo, appreciated the UBTH management for protecting health workers while ensuring adequate healthcare even in the face of the pandemic.

MORE READING!  Hoodlums forcefully move COVID-19 patient from Delta isolation centre

This is contained in a statement made available to newsmen by the branch NMA Public Relations Officer, Dr. Eustace Oseghale, in Benin.

The association assured that the presentation of such items to UBTH would be sustained.

“This would be a continuous thing as more personal protective equipment and other materials will be provided to UBTH soon,” it said.

Receiving the items, the Chief Medical Director of UBTH, Prof. Darlington Obaseki, thanked the NMA for the support.

MORE READING!  Ukrainian match postponed after footballers test positive for coronavirus

Obaseki informed them that the hospital gates remained open and the hospital currently has about 400 in patients.

“Though this is telling on the hospital revenue as materials to protect staff and patients are now very expensive,” he said.

Obaseki encouraged NMA affiliates to copy the emulate Edo NMA as the hospital needs support.

MORE READING!  100-year-old woman recovers from Coronavirus in Indonesia

Reports said that the items presented included cacatin face shields, face masks, sanitizer, washing soap, and gloves.

Continue Reading

health

COVID-19: Lagos discharges 30 Nigerians, three Indians

Published

on

The Lagos State Government on Tuesday announced recovery and discharge of 30 Nigerians and three Indians who tested negative twice to Coronavirus.

Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu said in a statement that a total of 908 COVID-19 patients were now discharged.

”Good people of Lagos, I bring you great news from our isolation facilities. Today, 33 fully recovered COVID-19 Lagos patients; 7 females and 26 males including 3 foreign nationals – Indians -have been discharged to join the society.

”The patients; 21 from Onikan, 9 from Eti-Osa (LandMark), 2 from Lekki and 1 from Gbagada Isolation Centres were discharged having fully recovered and tested negative to COVID19.

”With this, the number of patients successfully managed and discharged from our Isolation facilities is now 908.

”As our frontline health workers record successes in this battle against #COVID-19, we urge citizens to adhere strictly to our public advisories and directives, as this is the only way we can break the chain of transmission of the infection,” Sanwo-Olu said

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Kaduna govt. begins community case-search, visits 29,771 households
Continue Reading

health

Lagos records 17 COVID-19 related deaths in two days

Published

on

Lagos State has recorded another eight COVID-19 related deaths, increasing the infection mortality in Lagos to 67, says the state Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi.

Abayomi stated this in his verified twitter handle on Tuesday, adding that the deaths were recorded on Monday, June 1.

Abayomi had earlier announced that the state recorded nine COVID-19 related deaths on May 31.

MORE READING!  Africa’s COVID-19 cases over 144,700 – WHO

Currently, the total COVID-19 related deaths in Lagos now stands at 67.

Abayomi, however, did not give additional information about the sex, age, nationality or medical conditions of the deceased.

The Commissioner added that the state recorded 192 new COVID-19 infections, increasing the total number of cases in Lagos to 5151.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Kaduna govt. begins community case-search, visits 29,771 households

(NAN)

Continue Reading




Trending