Connect with us

General

COVID-19: Abuja markets to be shut from Monday

Published

COVID-19 restrictions: FCTA shuts bars, arrests violators

Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC) on Saturday, said all markets under its supervision will be shut from Monday, March 29.

Abdullahi Candido, AMAC Chairman, said this in a statement signed by Mrs Patience Olaloye, the Head of Information.

He explained that the closure of the markets was to stop the spread of coronavirus.

MORE READING!  2,000 Lagosians benefit from ”Eko Cares” initiative- Official

Candido disclosed that the Environment Department has been directed to fumigate all the markets.

“The markets to be fumigated are; Utako, FHA Lugbe, Relocation market Lugbe, Gwagwa, Nyanya, Aco mini, Jabi Park, Gwarinpa, Kugbo furniture, Kugbo spare part, Karshi, Karu, Apo fish market respectively.

READ ALSO: We will go into recession if coronavirus continues beyond six months– Nigerian Finance Minister, Zainab Ahmed

“All traders in the above markets are please advised to cooperate with the above directives for their safety and that of the entire residents.”

The statement informed all residents that the markets will remain closed until further notice

MORE READING!  New CP assumes office in Gombe

He urged everyone to stay safe and obey government directives on COVID-19 prevention.

General

It is incoherent and cowardly, Former Facebook staffers denounce Zuckerberg’s stance on Trump posts

Published

on

It is incoherent and cowardly, Former Facebook staffers denounce Zuckerberg's stance on Trump posts

Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg has been called out by nearly three dozen former employees on his decision not to stand against incendiary posts by U.S. President Donald Trump.

The open letter, initially reported by the New York Times, deepened a crisis facing Facebook’s leadership team, who had to defend their decision at a tense all-hands meeting the day prior following an employee walkout over the issue.

Criticism of Zuckerberg’s hands-off approach to a speech by political leaders crescendoed last week, after rival social network Twitter began putting warning labels on several Trump tweets that the platform said contained misleading information and glorified violence.

MORE READING!  RCCG issues guidelines for resumption of services, stops children church

Snapchat likewise took a hard line, boosting Trump’s account on Wednesday from a curated “discover” section of its app which promotes fresh content. It said it would not amplify voices inciting “racist violence.”

Facebook, which left the same posts untouched, did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the letter.

The former employees, including a staffer who opened Facebook’s office in Washington, implored Zuckerberg to implement checks on the speech by political leaders as it does for other users, including fact-checks and labels on harmful posts.

“The company we joined valued giving individuals a voice as loud as their government’s — protecting the powerless rather than the powerful,” they wrote.

Facebook’s current approach, they said, “is not a noble stand for freedom. It is incoherent and worse, it is cowardly.”

The group warned that Trump’s post on Friday, which used the racially charged phrase “when the looting starts, the shooting starts” in reference to protests over the police killing of a black man in Minnesota, could incite violence.

“In an age of live-streamed shootings, Facebook should know the danger of this better than most,” they said.

 

MORE READING!  Bola Tinubu joins the campaign for justice for Uwa, Tina and Jennifer

 

 

 

 

Reuters

Continue Reading

General

We’ll roll out face of Oyo Amotekun soon — Commandant

Published

on

Retired Col. Olayinka Olayanju, Oyo State Commandant of Amotekun Security Outfit, says the much-expected face of Amotekun will be rolled out very soon.

Olayanju told newsmen on Wednesday in Ibadan after Amotekun Stakeholders Forum held at the Western Hall of Oyo State Government Secretariat.

The Newsmen reports that the forum, with the theme

‘Employing Technology For Adequate Crime Protection in Oyo State’, was attended by various groups in the state.

“Amotekun has commenced. When you are saying security, there are certain aspects of security that you will see which is the showmanship, but the actual security you don’t see them.

“But for the uniform, the face of Amotekun, very soon we will roll it out. We don’t want to do anything that anybody will come around to abuse us.

“If you don’t do due diligence in your approach, you are likely to nail yourself, to be blackmailed and we don’t want that,” he said.

Olayanju said that Amotekun’s security outfit, when rolled out, would partner with the existing security agencies in the state and Operation Burst, the state security outfit
.
According to him, “Amotekun is to partner all the security agencies and help to ensure that there is effective and efficient security.

“As for now, the face of security in Oyo State is the police and us, when we finally roll out, what we are trying to do is to partner, support and collaborate with them.

“We are not coming as an independent body, but work in synergy with all security agencies,” he said.

He assured the people of the state that the security outfit was not going to be a dumping ground or job for the boys, saying they would ensure transparency and proper screening.

MORE READING!  Lady harassed in moving bus speaks, says I was the only female on board

The retired soldier also assured that they would ensure that officers of the security outfit were groomed in line with their areas of expertise or specialty.

“I can assure you that once it rolls out, you will see clearly that this is a transparent thing. It is not going to be a job for the boys or a dumping ground,” he said.

Olayanju, who described Amotekun as a community-oriented program, said that matter of security was a collective responsibility of all and sundry.

MORE READING!  2,000 Lagosians benefit from ”Eko Cares” initiative- Official

He said that it was the reason why they brought various groups like Agbekoya, traders union, market women, Oodua Peoples Congress together to the forum to obtain the views of the people and feel their pulse.

According to reports, the forum was attended by retired Gen. Kunle Togun, Chairman of the security outfit, other officers of the outfit and several Yoruba groups across the state

MORE READING!  Virginity is the best wedding gift ever, Nigerian man says
Continue Reading

General

Ondo: Medical practitioners threaten strike action over cut in basic salaries

Published

on

Ondo: Medical Practitioners threaten strike action over cut in basic salaries

Medical practitioners in Ondo State have threatened to embark on industrial action following the cut in their salaries by the state government without any prior notice.

The practitioners under the platform of National Association of Government General Medical and Dental Practitioners accused the state government of deducting 2.5 per cent from their basic salaries among other unsolicited deductions.

They have given the Governor Rotimi Akeredolu-led administration a 14-day ultimatum to refund the cut or be prepared for a strike action.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: BUA foundation donates N200m, five ambulances to Lagos

READ ALSO: COVID-19: FG approves five airports for flight resumption

Dr Aina Oluwafemi, state Chairman of the association, stated this in a statement on Wednesday.

He said, “Doctors observed that their salaries were slashed in May. As much as 2.5 per cent of their consolidated basic salary was removed for reasons best known to the state government.

“Government has also sought to divide the previously united body of doctors in the state by selectively implementing skipping, which is a regularised salary structure for health workers, to only doctors in the newly established UNIMEDTHC.

“To this end, the State Executive Council of our association had issued a 14-day ultimatum to the Ondo State Government to tell us why we have to part with 2.5 per cent of our basic salaries and the unsolicited deduction be refunded with immediate effect.

“We also demand to know the present situation of our ill- fated 50 per cent basic salary as special COVID-19 allowance and the modalities for the immediate implementation of the consequential adjustment of the increment in minimum wage.

“We also demand to know when our January 2017 salary arrears will be paid and also, the commencement of the regularisation of the skipping salary structure, for the Ondo State doctors”. 

Dr Wahab Adegbenro, Commissioner for Health in the state, didn’t respond to calls put across to him by our correspondent for reactions on the matter.

MORE READING!  Ondo: Christians obey govt’s directive on partial reopening of worship centers
Continue Reading




Trending