The Edo state government on Monday declined the identity of the second confirmed case of Coronavirus in the state saying it does not have the permission of the patient to do so even as thirteen new cases were identified and their blood specimen sent to Irrua Specialist Teaching Hospital for screening.
Addressing journalists at the Government House, Benin on Monday, the Deputy Governor, Mr Philip Shaibu said the state government is going to commence massive screening and testing for Coronavirus in order to get a statistical sense of how widespread the virus is in the state to ensure effective planning and containment efforts.
But the state coordinator of the World Health Organization, WHO, Mrs Faith Ireye said thirteen new cases have been identified from the over one thousand five hundred calls received from different parts of the state.
“From those calls, we have been able to identify thirteen persons that required attention and their specimens have been taken to Irrua Specialist Teaching Hospital, though some of them, their results are back and they tested negative but we are still waiting for the rest. We are telling you this to show that we are actually following cases of interest,” she said.
According to her:
“Apart from the ones we got from the telephone calls, we also have persons of interest that entered the country through Abuja airport, we got the list and we are following them up, but over thirty-six of them have completed their fourteen days and exited.”
On the two confirmed cases, Ireye said so far we have seventy-one contacts that have been listed and are being followed up.
“However we want to still look inwards, If we have more cases that have contact with the confirmed cases, we keep line listing. It’s always better to overline list than underline list our contacts. The idea is to be able to follow them up so that when they become symptomatic we will quickly remove them from the community to the isolation centre even before the result of the test will be out.
“It is either we take them to the isolation centre or we tell them to self isolate from home if they can do it. Over a thousand five hundred people have called us to give us information about cases of interest, about people that have entered the state from some of the overseas countries without us knowing. People that also have some forms of symptoms have also been calling us and we have been giving them the right information. This is very good for us.
“As I speak to you, we have forty-seven that we are following up many of them will complete their fourteen days within the next two, three or four days,” she said.
Meanwhile, the National Association of Nigeria Nurses and Midwives (NANNM), Edo State Council has commended the prompt response of the state government to the ravaging coronavirus but expressed concern that the state government was not carrying its members along in the fight against the disease.
Chairman of the association, Comrade Catherine Esene told journalists in Benin City that nurses and Midwives were essential and indispensable front liners in the health sector and were not happy over their exclusion from the COVID-19 response team set up by the state government.
“The priorities of NANNM, Edo State Council at this critical period are the safety, health and well-being of her members as well as the general public,” she said.
She called on the state government to ensure adequate training as well as the provision of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for use by all health workers.
“When PPE is not available, it becomes impossible to hold anyone liable for not rendering service. We, therefore, urge Nurses not to risk their lives, but to withdraw their services in such circumstances,” she said.
In view of the challenges occasioned by the “Stay at home order,” she called on the government to look at the possibility of providing adequate transportation for Nurses and other health workers to and from work as transportation will be a major challenge at this time.
The association also drew the attention of the government to the need;
“To make efforts to increase the already depleted health workforce at this critical time to ensure there are adequate hands to manage this scourge. The few nurses across the state are already facing overwork and burnout and more hands are urgently required since the state is committed to addressing this scourge.”
COVID-19: Anambra to fine face masks defaulters N10,000
The Anambra State Government will fine any resident who fails to wear a face mask the sum of N10,000.
This was disclosed by Governor Willie Obiano in a state-wide broadcast to the people of the state.
Obiano also warned traders in the state to keep to the COVID -19 rules or he would shut down the market again.
“We have 69 individuals on home quarantine and two individuals in the facility based quarantine.
“We shall continue to push back at this pandemic until we have reduced its presence in Anambra State.
“We are ramping up our testing capacity to ensure that we slow down the spread of this pandemic in our dear state.
“The Covid-19 Committees that we have set up in wards and local governments across Anambra State are helping us in driving the campaign to every nook and cranny of the state.
He said he had signed the COVID-19 Bill into law, adding that it was now an offence to be seen in the public without a face mask.
“The offence attracts a fine of N10,000 or some hours of community service. I would like to re-emphasize that my administration is determined to enforce this law, adding
“The information we received from different quarters indicate that our people have started lowering their guard on the COVID-19 protocols.
“I have it on good authority that traders in various markets no longer comply with the enforcement of the wearing of face masks and the washing of hands.
” I want to warn that we may consider shutting down the markets if this trend is not halted with immediate effect.
“I have also received similar reports from churches and other religious groups in the state most of whom have discarded the wearing of face masks.
” I urge the leadership of all religious bodies in Anambra State to ensure compliance with the standard protocols of COVID-19 without further delay.”
Covid-19: Brazil records largest daily increase in deaths
Brazil, on Tuesday, recorded its largest daily increase in deaths related to the novel coronavirus, data by the country’s Health Ministry showed.
The country confirmed 1,262 new virus-related deaths, bringing the total toll to 31,199, according to the latest official figures.
Tuesday’s daily jump was the steepest since the first victim was confirmed on March 17, the data showed, surpassing the record set on May 21 of 1,188 deaths in a day.
The ministry also reported almost 29,000 new infections for a total of 555,383 cases.
After the United States, Brazil is the country with the highest number of officially recorded infections worldwide.
Brazil’s death toll is in fourth place globally, behind the U.S., Britain and Italy, according to data collected by Johns Hopkins University in the U.S.
Seeing as the biggest nation in Latin America is carrying out relatively low levels of testing, the real figure is likely significantly higher.
There have been at least 29,314 coronavirus deaths so far in the country.
In many cities in Brazil, hospitals have reached capacity.
Authorities have set up makeshift clinics in football stadiums.
Meanwhile, a dispute between President Jair Bolsonaro, several governors and congress has paralysed the country.
Right-wing populist leader, Bolsonaro, sees the COVID-19 lung disease as a “mild flu” and has rejected protective measures.
But many state leaders have put in place their own restrictions on movement and public life to stem the spread of the virus.
On Sunday, clashes were reported between Bolsonaro supporters, anti-government protesters and the Police in several Brazilian cities.
COVID-19: Bauchi deputy governor tests positive
The Deputy Governor of Bauchi state, Mr Baba Tela, has tested positive to the novel Coronavirus, a statement issued by the state government revealed on Wednesday.
The statement, signed by Mr Muktar Gidado, Senior Special Assistant (SSA) on media to the state governor, indicated that test by Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) confirmed the development.
According to Gidado, Tela, who is also the Chairman, State Task Force Committee on COVID-19, was tested after exhibiting noticeable symptoms of the virus, adding that all his primary contacts had been taken for screening.
“This is to inform the general public that His Excellency, Sen. Baba Tela, Deputy Governor of Bauchi State, was confirmed positive of Coronavirus.
“The confirmation was sequel to a test carried out on him by NCDC when he exhibited noticeable symptoms of the disease.
“He contracted the disease while discharging his onerous responsibility as Chairman of the State Committee on COVID-19.
“Consequently, he has gone into self-isolation in Bauchi and health professionals are properly managing his situation.
“Similarly, samples of all his primary contacts have been taken by NCDC for tests and they are advised to remain in isolation pending the outcome of their results,” Gidado said.
The SSA further stressed that Gov. Bala Mohammad had sympathised with his deputy and solicited for prayers from all for his speedy recovery.
He said that the governor also called on the citizens to adhere strictly to the protocols against the dreaded virus to curtail its spread in the State.
Newsmen report that Bauchi state, as at Tuesday, June 2, had recorded a total 241 cases of COVID-19, out of which 221 had been discharged while eight had died.
You will soon be confined to a wheelchair, Kemi Olunloyo reacts to Davido on crunches
812 health workers infected till date, says Federal Government
I’m not dumping APC for PDP, says Obaseki
Virginity is the best wedding gift ever, Nigerian man says
Zulum suspends doctors, medical staff of Borno hospital
Take your post down you clout chaser, Talent manager accuses D’banj of being a rapist
Boko Haram : Army kills three commanders, others in Borno
Kaduna: Nine killed in fresh attack
Kim Jong-un may have faked his death to expose traitors in his circle- Report
Covid-19 can enter the body through the eyes, Scientists warn
Obasa threatens Sowore with N1bn defamation lawsuit
Presidency pays tribute to late President Yar’Adua
Goodluck Jonathan pays tribute to late President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua
Coronavirus researcher killed in murder-suicide
Odumeje finally reveals the source of his power (Video)
Zubby Michael’s testimony video in Odumeje’s Church surfaces after he denied the prophet
Uwa Omozuwa: Father of victim finally speaks (video)
Nigerian businessman, accused of theft, beaten to death in India [Video]
Again, police arrest Bobrisky in Lekki (video)
White woman lies against black man in New York Park, gets sacked (Video)
VIDEO: Seven-year-old boy, taught by Boko Haram, demonstrates gun handling and shooting strategies
VIDEO: Seven months pregnant doctor saving COVID-19 patients from death
I nearly committed suicide over N20m debt – Real Warri Pikin
Armed men on motorcycles attack Lekki security guards (video)
Metro2 days ago
Uwa Omozuwa: Father of victim finally speaks (video)
Sports3 days ago
PSG sign striker Icardi on permanent deal
General2 days ago
JUST IN: FG reviews nationwide curfew
Metro2 days ago
What Pastor Adeboye said about rape, murder of UNIBEN student in RCCG parish
Metro2 days ago
Gunmen kill APC Chairman in Katsina
health2 days ago
Abusers of painkillers at risk of infertility, Gynaecologist warns
Politics2 days ago
Full text of Col. Dangiwa Umar [retd]’s letter to Buhari
health2 days ago
COVID-19: Navy inaugurates 40 bed space isolation centre in Lagos