Connect with us

General

COVID-19: Lagos husbands feel imprisoned, wives rejoice over stay-at-home order

Published

Mixed reactions from Lagos husbands and wives have trailed the government’s stay-at-home directive following the COVID-19 pandemic.

Newsmen report that Lagos State Government had last week directed closure of open markets, recreational centres, saloons and other public places with exception of those selling food, medicine and other life-saving essentials.

The government had earlier directed its workers on Grade Levels 12 and below to work from home except those on essential duties.

The Federal Government had equally directed its workers on similar grade levels to work from home before ordering a lockdown of Lagos, Ogun and  Abuja for 14 days with effect from Monday night.

Only a few categories of workers and companies are excepted from the lockdown.

All the directives are aimed at checking coronavirus spread.

Speaking with newsmen on the effects of the stay-at-home order, some wives in Lagos, expressed delight, saying that it had strengthened bonding between them and their spouses.

Conversely, some husbands expressed dissatisfaction at the development, which some of them described as house arrest.

MORE READING!  Covid-19 is proving exceptionally difficult to stop, WHO says

They claimed that it rendered them redundant.

A resident of Okokomaiko, Mrs Nkiru Ekene, told newsmen that the order had positive and negative effects.

According to her, she is happy that the order has compelled her husband to spend time with her and their children, thereby strengthening the bond between the couple and among all the family members.

“The situation has afforded us an opportunity to monitor the kids, my caregivers and certain attitudes they exhibit in my absence.

“However, it has also weakened financial strength, since many husbands earn their incomes through daily sales,’’ she said.

Mrs Kosisochukwu Ndubuisi,  who lives in the same area, expressed joy that the situation had kept her husband beside her for the greater part the days.

“Yes, I will say that I am happy that my husband is always in the house.

“Before now, most men spend much time in drinking bars after work, instead of returning home to their families, but now, the situation changed.

“The only disadvantage is that my husband complains about finances, but it is well,” she said.

READ ALSO: COVID-19: Finance Ministry, CBN granted exemptions to allow skeletal operations in the financial industry

Also, a trader at the Alaba International Market, Ojo, Mrs Queen Austin, told newsmen that the order has enabled couples to interact better although the paucity of finances might become a setback.

“l now spend more time with my spouse and kids, but I think the time for the stay-at-home should not be long.

“Again, there is no more opportunity for him to drink with friends; now, if we need to drink,  we do it together,” she said.

Meanwhile, a Lagos businessman, Mr Bonny Chinwuba, expressed dissatisfaction with the sit-at-home order, claiming that it had crippled his finances and businesses.

” The situation is unbearable. I was supposed to conclude my business in Calabar before this order was made, and now, it has caused me a setback.

“I must confess, the order is not favourable at all to business. This order cannot even affect my relationship with my wife.

“Is she supposed to now carry me on her laps like a baby because we are at home together?

“So because we are now indoors, she should put me on her back or feed me with a spoon like a baby?

” In fact, the earlier businesses reopen, the better for us all,” he said.

Another businessman, Mr Paul Nnorom, described the stay-at-home order as “imprisonment”.

” l cannot lie to you, I am not happy with this matter.

“It now means every husband must learn to control his temper this period while at home.

“It also means there will be a lot of conception as many babies will be produced,” he said.

 

 

MORE READING!  Shocking! Cameroonian man marries two women on the same day (Photos)

 

 

 

NAN

Advertisement
Click to comment

0 Comments

  1. Nancy Harvey

    June 10, 2017 at 5:45 am

    Bimbo’s fans should leave her alone. There might be reason for her obvious absence at the burial.

    Make extra income by converting your dead and unused inverter, truck and car batteries into to CASH. We buy dead batteries and you smile to bank. Call/Whatsapp 08050447320

  2. Eucharist

    June 12, 2017 at 3:52 pm

    Chei. It’s no small abuse she rained on her critics.lolx

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General

Mali protests resume as thousands call for president’s resignation

Published

on

Thousands of people took to the streets of Mali’s rainy capital Bamako on Tuesday renewing calls for President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita to step down despite international mediation efforts to resolve a political crisis.

Protests led by an opposition coalition called M5-RFP have raged since June, caused by contested local elections and perceived government corruption and incompetence.

MORE READING!  Ekiti Attorney General recovers from Covid-19

Tensions escalated in July when police shot dead at least 11 demonstrators.

Regional powers are worried that prolonged unrest could derail the fight against Islamist extremists in the region, many of whom are centred in Mali. Their presence has rendered large areas of the centre and north of Mali ungovernable.

MORE READING!  US summon Saudi Crown Prince over failed assassination attempt

Keita had hoped that concessions to opponents and recommendations from a mediating delegation of regional leaders would help stem the tide of disaffection.

But the majority of protestors appeared unmoved as they filed into Bamako’s heaving Independence Square in their thousands on Tuesday, shouting “Keita step down” and “listen to your people”.

“M5-Rfp demands purely and simply the resignation of Ibrahim Boubacar Keita and his regime to allow for a democratic transition,” prominent M5-RFP member Ibrahim Maiga told the cheering crowd.

Reuters

MORE READING!  Banditry: Monarch urges govt to adopt new strategies
Continue Reading

General

Nigeria pardons terrorists, wants to kill man for blasphemy – Apostle Suleman

Published

on

President of Omega Fire Ministries Worldwide Apostle Johnson Suleman has reacted to the death sentence handed down to a 22-year-old man by a Kano Upper Shari’a Court on Monday for blaspheming Prophet Muhammad.

Suleman via his Twitter page on Tuesday said Saudi Arabia will be shocked at the development.

He stressed that he could not understand how the death sentence would be awarded for blasphemy while Boko Haram fighters are pardoned.

MORE READING!  Appeal Court reverses INEC's deregistration of 22 parties

He wrote, “A country that pardons terrorists want to kill a man for blasphemy. I am sure even Saudi Arabia is shocked..the worst form of deception is self-deceit.”

Saudi Arabia regularly hands down the death sentence for drug trafficking among other crimes.

MORE READING!  95-year-old survives Covid-19 in Oyo

Yahaya Sharif-Aminu, a resident of Sharifai in Kano metropolis, was accused of committing blasphemy against the prophet in a song he circulated via WhatsApp in March.

The incident caused riots in the city. His family house was burnt down in the process.

Continue Reading

General

Ogun traffic Corps arrests drivers of unlatched containerised trucks

Published

on

MORE READING!  Nigeria records 443 new Covid-19 cases, toll now 45,687
Continue Reading




Trending