Connect with us

Nigeria Update

COVID-19: Lagos to charge face mask defaulters to court

Published

The Lagos State Government says it will start charging face mask defaulters to court from next week, as the period of grace was over.

Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu said this while briefing newsmen on the update of the COVID-19 management in the state on Friday.

Sanwo-Olu said that at this phase in the evolution of the coronavirus pandemic, taking personal responsibility was now more important than ever.

He said that such personal responsibility was not only for self-protection but also for protecting other people, including loved ones.

According to him, mask usage is mandatory in public places as a strategy to curb the spread of the virus.

MORE READING!  Order Buhari to publish details of govt loans since 2015, SERAP begs court

”We are asking offices, business and commercial premises to refuse entry to any persons not wearing masks in line with the Presidential Task Force directive on ”No mask, no entry”.

”No mask, no service enforcement agencies will from this week charge defaulters to court, as the period of grace is now over.

”Dear Lagosians, please continue to wash your hands regularly. As much as possible, maintain social distancing, especially in public places.

”On our part as a government, we will continue to do everything possible to protect and uphold the health and wellbeing of the people of the state,” the governor said.

Sanwo-Olu further said that the state government was committed to scaling up testing and isolation capacity and enforcing the guidelines issued.

”With regards to enforcement, we are increasing our focus and efforts in this area. As you all know, guidelines and directives are effective only to the extent to which they are complied with by the citizenry.

”The best laws and guidelines are of no use if they are disregarded by the people for whom they have been issued.

”Lagos State belongs to all of us. We must join hands to ensure that we defeat this virus,” he said.

The governor noted that the state’s COVID-19 hotline remained 08000CORONA.

MORE READING!  Account for failed $460m Abuja CCTV Project, $2b China loan - APC to PDP

He added that the hotline was available round the clock for people to make reports, seek testing and for infected persons to gain access to counseling and psychological support during the period of isolation and treatment.

General

Covid-19: Nigeria records 288 new cases, toll now 44,129

Published

on

health workers

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has confirmed 288 new cases of COVID-19 in the country, bringing the total number of COVID-19 infection to 44,129.

The NCDC made this known via its verified Twitter handle on Monday.

“On the 3rd of August 2020, 288 new confirmed cases and 8 deaths were recorded in Nigeria.

“Till date, 44129 cases have been confirmed, 20663 cases have been discharged and 896 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

“The 288 new cases are reported from 15 states- Lagos (88), Kwara (33), Osun (27), FCT (25), Enugu (25), Abia (20), Kaduna (17), Plateau (13), Rivers (13), Delta (10), Gombe (8), Ogun (4), Oyo (3), Katsina (1), Bauchi (1),” the NCDC said.

MORE READING!  Edo central agenda realizable in APC, says chieftain
Continue Reading

health

Positive cases drop by 2,000 in July – FG

Published

on

Osagie Ehanire,

Nigeria recorded less than 2,000 positive cases in July, the Federal Government has disclosed.

It further stated the number of testing carried out across the country increased by 40,000 in just one month.

A total of 287,532 COVID-19 tests have been carried out so far in Nigeria.

The Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, made these known during the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 in Abuja.

MORE READING!  Order Buhari to publish details of govt loans since 2015, SERAP begs court

He also said the Federal Government plans to reduce the deaths from the pandemic to less than one per cent.

The Federal Government also plans to expand sample collection to rural areas by setting set up at least one COVID-19 sample collection site in every Local Government Area (LGA) with designated holding rooms at General hospitals for patients with significant clinical symptoms.

MORE READING!  Lagos decontaminates public schools for partial resumption

Ehanire said this will ensure patients are not turned back at hospitals.

The Minister asked health workers not to fret on Personal Protective Equipment (PPE);

“As we are reasonably well stocked with materials and commodities, which have been supplied to all sections of the country.”

Continue Reading

health

COVID-19 vaccines now in phase three clinical trials –WHO

Published

on

The World Health Organisation says a number of potential vaccines that may be deployed in the treatment of COVID-19 are now in phase three clinical trials.

WHO Director-General, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, disclosed this at a virtual conference on Monday.

“A number of vaccines are now in phase three clinical trials and we all hope to have a number of effective vaccines that can help prevent people from infection.

“However, there’s no silver bullet at the moment and there might never be. For now, stopping outbreaks comes down to the basics of public health and disease control,” he said.

Ghebreyesus, therefore, urged countries and international partners to focus more on testing, isolating and treating COVID-19 patients as well as tracing and quarantining their contacts.

“The message to people and governments is clear: do it all. For individuals, it’s about keeping physical distance, wearing a mask, cleaning hands regularly and coughing safely away from others. Do it all,” he appealed.

Last Friday, the Ethiopian met with the Emergency Committee on COVID-19 to review the current pandemic.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: FG spends N500m on school feeding programme – Sadiya Farouq

It was a sobering moment coming six months from when the Committee advised, that the outbreak constituted a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.

The WHO boss noted that as at the time (30 January), there were fewer than 100 cases and no deaths outside of China.

“Since then, the number of cases has increased more than fivefold to 17.5 million, and the number of deaths has more than tripled, to 680,000.

“In addition to the direct toll COVID-19 is having, the Committee noted the health impact that disrupted services are having on a range of other diseases.

“That compounds what we already know about reduced immunisation coverage, cancer screening and care, and mental health services. On top of the health impact, we have seen the damage COVID-19 has caused socially, economically and politically,” he noted.

Continue Reading




Trending