Connect with us

Coronavirus

Covid-19 lockdown: Widow cook stones as food for her eight hungry children

Published

It a tale that sounds very absurd, a woman has been cooking stones to feed her hungry children since the coronavirus outbreak.

The woman, a widow named Peninah Bahti Kitsao, lives in Mombasa, Kenya. Before the lockdown, the poor woman worked as a local laundrywoman.

However, due to the outbreak of Coronavirus, her customer base drastically dwindled and she could no longer raise enough money for feeding.

According to reports from tuko.co.ke, Peninah said she always hoped her children will fall asleep while waiting for the meal (stones) to get ready.

MORE READING!  Amid Covid-19 cure claims, two Madagascar lawmakers die after virus infection

Penina said the children could hardly sleep and they kept crying all night like lonely chicks on a nest. She had to come up with a plan.

“I have boiled stones twice, with a hope that the children will go to bed and stop crying due to hunger,” the mom of eight said.

The depressed mother said she and her children have gone to bed on empty stomachs several times hoping that a well-wisher will come to their aid.

MORE READING!  Poor people are cursed with a strange s3x drive– Nigerian writer

However, her strategy to make her children sleep did not last long before one of them learnt the secret.

“Just the other day, as I was boiling the stones for my children, they woke up in the middle of the night crying. One of my child told me that I have been lying to them that I’m cooking but only boiling stones,” she added. 

Her neighbour, Prisca Momanyi, who was taken aback by the whole act, informed the media about the woman’s plight.

MORE READING!  FRSC arrests 54 motorists for violating COVID-19 safety measures in Akwa Ibom

Fortunately, after being interviewed, the woman has been receiving help from people who made donations to her bank account.

The widow said she could not believe people would come to her rescue the way they did, calling everything a big miracle.

 

Nigeria Update

JUST IN: FCT Perm Sec recovers from COVID-19, resumes

Published

on

The Permanent Secretary, Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA), Sir Christian Ohaa has resumed work after testing negative for COVID-19.

Ohaa, though asymptomatic, tested positive for COVID-19 about two weeks ago and has been in one of the isolation centres in Abuja.

Upon testing positive, his office was immediately shut down and staff, as well as all directors in the administration, directed to undergo compulsory COVID-19 test.

MORE READING!  Batwoman is a black woman, Javicia Leslie cast as the CW lead
Continue Reading

health

Lagos discharges 56 COVID-19 patients

Published

on

Covid-19: Lagos may run out of isolation bed spaces in three weeks, Health commissioner says

The Lagos State government, on Sunday, announced the recovery and discharge of an additional 56 more COVID-19 patients, comprising 47 Nigerians and nine foreigners, after testing negative twice for the disease.

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu said in a statement issued in Lagos that a total of 1,897 patients had been discharged from the isolation centres.

“The good people of Lagos, today, 56 #COVID19Lagos patients; 12 females and 44 males, including 9 foreign nationals, were discharged from our isolation facilities to reunite with the society.

“The patients; 25 from Gbagada; 5 from Agidingbi; 8 from Eti-Osa (LandMark); 3 from Onikan and 15 from LUTH isolation centres, were discharged after full recovery and testing negative for COVID-19.

“This brings to 1,897 the number of #COVID19 confirmed cases that have been successfully managed and discharged from our isolation facilities.

”Remember, COVID-19 is real! Let’s continue to adhere strictly to all public advisories given by government #ForACOVID19FreeLagos,” Sanwo-Olu said.

NAN

MORE READING!  Rape victims enjoy the act after being forced, Counsellor says
Continue Reading

Coronavirus

Amid Covid-19 cure claims, two Madagascar lawmakers die after virus infection

Published

on

Madagascar President, Andry Rajoelina, on Sunday confirmed that two lawmakers — one member of the senate and one deputy — had died after becoming infected with coronavirus.

Eleven other deputies and 14 senators had also tested positive for the virus, Rajoelina said.

The Indian Ocean island on July 5 placed its capital Antananarivo under a fresh lockdown following a new surge in infections, two months after the restrictions were eased.

It has recorded 2,573 infections including 35 deaths with the government estimating that the peak will not be reached until the end of August.

MORE READING!  Three Obas die in Ogun within one week

In April, Rajoelina launched a local herbal concoction he claimed prevents and cures the novel coronavirus.

He has since been promoting the brew for export, saying it is the country’s “green gold” which will “change history”.

The potential benefits of Covid-Organics, a tonic derived from artemisia — a plant with proven efficacy in malaria treatment — and other indigenous herbs, have not been validated by any scientific study.

MORE READING!  S3x workers in Germany march for re-opening of brothels

Madagascar had in the first week of July placed its capital Antananarivo under a fresh lockdown following a new surge in coronavirus infections, two months after the restrictions were eased, the presidency announced Sunday.

“The Analamanga region (under which the capital is situated) is returning to full lockdown,” the presidency said in a statement. No traffic will be allowed in or out of the region starting Monday until July 20. A strict curfew will be imposed on street movement by people.

“Only one person per household is allowed to go out into the street between 6:00 am (0400 GMT) and 12:00 pm (1000 GMT),” said the statement. The measures have been taken “because of the spread of the epidemic and the increase of COVID-19 cases,” it added.

Continue Reading




Trending