Connect with us

General

COVID-19: Monarch seeks lockdown extension

Published

Imo: Okada rider crushed while answering phone call

The Chairman of the Imo State Council of Traditional Rulers told the Federal Government on Sunday to extend the current lockdown as the total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Nigeria nears the 10,000 mark.

Eze Samuel Ohiri made the appeal in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja, saying the lockdown extension was necessary to avert the rapid spread of the deadly virus in rural communities.

Nigeria has currently recorded 9,855 confirmed cases of the virus, 553 of which were recorded in the past 24 hours.

Two hundred and seventy-five deaths have also been recorded with 2,856 people discharged after recovering from the disease, according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.

MORE READING!  Third Mainland Bridge: FG explains six-month closure, announce other routes

On March 4, President Muhammadu Buhari announced a nationwide lockdown to check the spread of the virus and extended the lockdown on May 4.

Ohiri, who is also the Chief Executive Officer of Hi-Tech Diagnostics Ltd., noted that the lockdown had isolated the deadly virus to only metropolitan areas.

“Any plan to relax the lockdown at this time is not advisable because it will trigger community transmission from the metropolitan areas to rural areas.

“Nigeria at the moment has lost over 200 lives to COVID-19 and we cannot afford to lose more. So let government not relax the lockdown for now.”

The monarch also lauded the Federal Government’s efforts so far in containing the virus, urging State Governments to sustain the restriction on inter-state movements.

MORE READING!  Homosexuality was not a crime in Africa until colonizers introduced Christianity- Bisi Alimi

According to him, as soon the lockdown is lifted, inter-state movements will commence and community transmission will set in.

“A country like Ghana recorded unprecedented 60 per cent increase in COVID-19 infections after relaxing their lockdown.

“This disease is very deadly that even the survivors still suffer damage of one organ or the order, especially the lungs.”

The royal father, however, described speculations of conspiracy theory on COVID-19 as unfounded rumours, saying that proper education was required to prepare people against the virus.

MORE READING!  Federal Government set to end DSTV monopoly

He emphasised the imperative of collective responsibility in the fight against the virus, saying that total adherence to safety measures was key to reducing spread.

Ohiri disclosed that his firm had manufactured testing kits for COVID-19 and that the kits were capable of showing results in five minutes.

NAN

General

Video: Nigerian man scatters his parents’ apartment over…

Published

on

In a video which has surfaced online captures the moment a Nigerian boy scattered his parents’ apartment because he wasn’t given what he asked for.

The mother of the boy, Chidera, who shared her own side of the story in the video, said he demanded for some documents including her passport which he claimed he needed for a university program.

MORE READING!  Senate urges FG to name Ibadan Airport after Ajimobi

According to an eyewitness,  he claimed that Chidera didn’t need any of the documents he demanded for.

The boy’s mother added that after she ignored him, he forcefully took her documents which she retrieved. He subsequently began breaking things in the house and also pouring food items on the floor.

When asked why he scattered his parents home by one of those who turned up at the scene of the incident, the boy replied by saying “he will get his mother’s attention by scattering the house”. 

 

MORE READING!  Deborah Tushima: Ortom consoles Benue varsity professor over daughter’s death

Watch the video below;

Continue Reading

General

NCAA releases West Link aircraft

Published

on

The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has released one of the two aircraft belonging to West Link Airlines, which was grounded under Specs Part G of the Air Operator’s Certificate due to violations of the  Nigerian Civil Aviation Regulations (NCAR).

The aircraft was among those the regulator erroneously added to its list of grounded airplanes.

According to sources, the aircraft – a Challenger CL604-n604 WL – was released to service for not falling under the category of Part G category as it is said to be owned by the airline and not leased.

MORE READING!  FG set to resume Third Mainland Bridge repairs

The other aircraft, the CL601-N253LA, a source hinted, however, falls under the category and will still have to undergo an audit and compliance with all the relevant Nigerian Civil Aviation Regulations.

A  Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) from the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency (NAMA) Aeronautical Telecommunication Service dated July 7, 2020, to stations with text AA0016/07071244 releasing the aircraft to operate read:

“The DG-NCAA has directed  that N604WL CL604 (West Link Airlines) that was earlier grounded via permit no AA004/03072005 be released with immediate effect to resume normal operations. Please act accordingly. Regards.”

doing all we can and working round the clock to ensure we meet it as soon as possible.’’

The NCAA had suspended operations of some airlines aircraft based on NCARS Part 9.2.3.4(b) referring to Wet Leasing aircraft, which states:  No holder of an AOC issued under this Part 9 may allow another entity or air operator to conduct wet-lease operations on its behalf (a wet-lease in) unless the air operator holds an  AOC  or its equivalent from a Contracting State that authorises those operations.

MORE READING!  Reopen all worship centres CAN tells states

The NCAA noted:

“The  AOC  holder advises the  Authority of such operations and provides a copy of the AOC under which the operation was conducted. Such operation does not exceed a period of 12 months and the Authority approves the operations.”

Continue Reading

General

Police set to begin massive arrest of face mask violators in Lagos

Published

on

Lagos State residents have been warned by the state police command to properly use their face masks or face arrest.

According to the police command, it was noticed that most residents have either jettisoned the directive or now place the masks beneath their chins as decoration.

The state Commissioner of Police in the state, CP Hakeem Odumosu on Tuesday urged Lagosians to own the battle against further spread of COVID-19 in the state.

According to Odumosu, the police and other law enforcement agencies have the mandate of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu to arrest and prosecute violators of COVID-19 prevention protocols, adding that there will be no sacred cows in safeguarding public safety.

Already, Odumosu said the command arrested 3,802 persons between April and June for not wearing face masks, adding that all the suspects were charged to court and sentenced accordingly.

He said:

“We have been enforcing the law. We have arrested 3,802 people for not using face masks and 12,900 suspects were held for flouting various COVID-19 guidelines since the commencement of the lockdown in April. They were all charged to court.

“But we are going to be stricter now because we have noticed that some people do not wear at all while others hang it on their chins. That is not the purpose for the directive.

“The face mask must be properly worn to cover the mouth and nose. That is how it will serve its purpose. Our people must know that the policy is for their safety and that of society.

“As soon as you step out of your house into public space, you should have your face mask on, worn properly. It should be that way until you return to your private space. Wearing a face mask is compulsory just as social distancing is compulsory. You cannot do one and leave the other.

“For emphasis, we will arrest those who put the face mask on their chins and also arrest those not wearing it.”

Checks across Amuwo Odofin, Isolo, Egbe Idimu and Oshodi areas of the state showed that most residents were nonchalant about the use of face mask and social distancing.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Osun records two deaths, 14 new cases

According to the NATION, it was observed that only commercial motorists mostly had face masks on though a greater number of them hung them on their chins.

It was gathered that the drivers were compelled by their unions to have the face masks handy and also ensure their passengers have them to prevent arrest.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: FG forgiveS radio, TV stations of N7.8bn debt

People were seen having discussions in clusters and at bus stops without wearing face masks and in complete disregard for the social distancing directive.

At Oke-Afa, it was observed that over eight non-compliant people encircled a woman roasting corn with some of them taking turns to touch the staples.

Also, the black market foreign exchange operators in Okota were beckoning on potential clients without observing the protocols.

MORE READING!  Japan’s southern island rain kills 16

Most traffic hawkers from Okota Round About up to Apple Junction in Amuwo Odofin did not also comply with the directive as they claimed that wearing the mask makes breathing difficult.

A fruit seller, who approached our reporter to market his ware, said:

“I am not using it because it is hard to wear. The few times I tried it, I could not breathe. I have not worn face mask for over a month now and I do not have the disease. Do I look sick?”

The situation was not different in Ajao Estate as most shop owners and their customers were seen neither putting on face masks or observing social distancing.

Continue Reading




Trending