Connect with us

General

COVID-19: National association of commercial &e.x workers announce suspension of ‘Essential Services’ for now

Published

COVID-19: National association of commercial &e.x workers announce suspension of ‘Essential Services’ for now

Due to the lockdown caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, sex workers in Nigeria have decided to suspend activities, especially in Lagos and Abuja.

The announcement was made by the National Coordinator, Nigeria Sex Workers Association, Amaka Enemo.

Enemo said on Tuesday that although sex workers offer “essential services” they will remain indoors because their services involve “substantial bodily contact”.

According to her, the association had been able to sensitise its members to the dangers of COVID-19.

“There is sensitisation across the country including within our network. Sex workers also offer essential services. However, there is no way sex workers can do their work without body contact. So, they are staying at home to watch what happens.

“The government has announced a lockdown and as law-abiding citizens, we will not flout the law. If the government says sit at home, we will all obey because nobody wants to die.

“We fall under essential services but ours is peculiar because of the nature of body contact. You cannot compare it to doctors because the doctors are not making full-body contact with people the way we do.”

And when she was asked if only ‘street operations’ had been suspended and if private home services could continue, Enemo said the decision of the association was that “all activities be put on hold”.

MORE READING!  We’ve pushed Boko Haram out of North-East - Buratai

READ ALSO: COVID-19: Nigeria must break the chain or risk becoming the next epicentre-NAQS DG

The national coordinator said, “The lockdown affects street workers and those at home equally. For the sake of their health, they should all stay at home and avoid bodily contact. So, we stay at home but we are sharing materials that will keep them safe.”

Evaluating the financial impact of the lockdown on sex workers, Enemo said it was the same effect artisans were facing.

Enemo added, “Of course it is going to affect them financially but sex workers are not the only ones that make money on a daily basis. It is the same for commercial drivers. Of course, they might have their savings but that does not mean it will not affect them. It is affecting everybody so sex workers are not exempted.”

And on a final note, the coordinator asserted that her association would accept donations from the government or private sector as this would reduce the impact of the lockdown on members.

“If they are willing to help, we will accept it. It is a lockdown. Our business is affected,” Enemo added.

General

Mali protests resume as thousands call for president’s resignation

Published

on

Thousands of people took to the streets of Mali’s rainy capital Bamako on Tuesday renewing calls for President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita to step down despite international mediation efforts to resolve a political crisis.

Protests led by an opposition coalition called M5-RFP have raged since June, caused by contested local elections and perceived government corruption and incompetence.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Kidnapped Delta LG boss regains freedom

Tensions escalated in July when police shot dead at least 11 demonstrators.

Regional powers are worried that prolonged unrest could derail the fight against Islamist extremists in the region, many of whom are centred in Mali. Their presence has rendered large areas of the centre and north of Mali ungovernable.

MORE READING!  French privacy watchdog opens preliminary investigation into TikTok

Keita had hoped that concessions to opponents and recommendations from a mediating delegation of regional leaders would help stem the tide of disaffection.

But the majority of protestors appeared unmoved as they filed into Bamako’s heaving Independence Square in their thousands on Tuesday, shouting “Keita step down” and “listen to your people”.

“M5-Rfp demands purely and simply the resignation of Ibrahim Boubacar Keita and his regime to allow for a democratic transition,” prominent M5-RFP member Ibrahim Maiga told the cheering crowd.

Reuters

MORE READING!  Ekiti Attorney General recovers from Covid-19
Continue Reading

General

Nigeria pardons terrorists, wants to kill man for blasphemy – Apostle Suleman

Published

on

President of Omega Fire Ministries Worldwide Apostle Johnson Suleman has reacted to the death sentence handed down to a 22-year-old man by a Kano Upper Shari’a Court on Monday for blaspheming Prophet Muhammad.

Suleman via his Twitter page on Tuesday said Saudi Arabia will be shocked at the development.

He stressed that he could not understand how the death sentence would be awarded for blasphemy while Boko Haram fighters are pardoned.

MORE READING!  We’ve pushed Boko Haram out of North-East - Buratai

He wrote, “A country that pardons terrorists want to kill a man for blasphemy. I am sure even Saudi Arabia is shocked..the worst form of deception is self-deceit.”

Saudi Arabia regularly hands down the death sentence for drug trafficking among other crimes.

MORE READING!  Covid-19 is proving exceptionally difficult to stop, WHO says

Yahaya Sharif-Aminu, a resident of Sharifai in Kano metropolis, was accused of committing blasphemy against the prophet in a song he circulated via WhatsApp in March.

The incident caused riots in the city. His family house was burnt down in the process.

Continue Reading

General

Ogun traffic Corps arrests drivers of unlatched containerised trucks

Published

on

MORE READING!  Ekiti Attorney General recovers from Covid-19
Continue Reading




Trending