Connect with us

General

COVID-19: Nigeria must break the chain or risk becoming the next epicentre-NAQS DG

Published

COVID-19: Nigeria must break the chain or risk becoming the next epicentre-NAQS DG

Nigeria must break the chain of the spread of COVID-19 in the country to avert the likely scenario of being the next epicentre of the pandemic due to her large population size.

Director-General, Nigeria Agricultural Quarantine Service (NAQS), Dr Vincent Isegbe, gave the advice in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja by Dr Chigozie Nwodo, Head of Media, Communications and Strategies of the service.

Isegbe said, ‘’If there is one salient lesson that has emerged from the transmission pattern of this plague so far, it is that breaking the chain of spread is the most economical and sensible approach to containing the contagion.

‘’As a collective, it would be far cheaper for all Nigerians to make the sacrifice to hibernate for a while than for us to throw caution to the wind and walk with our eyes open into a monstrous public health crisis that we cannot recover from soon.

“Staying indoors is a reasonable trade-off to enabling the escalation of the attack rate of the virus,”.

The NAQS boss affirmed that if Nigerians would heed the directive of the Federal Government and the recommendation of the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) the country would have a relatively manageable caseload to contend with.

MORE READING!  Ex-banker, civil servants in court for alleged payroll fraud

READ ALSO: Coronavirus: Countries we are looking up to for assistance also facing challenges – FG

He noted that the Federal Government and NCDC have directed the populace to stay indoors and venture out only to purchase essential commodities like food and medicine where it is absolutely necessary.

According to him, it is always easier and faster to flatten the curve if the number of infected is low.

MORE READING!  Knowing what to cook is one of the things that scares me about marriage, Lady reveals

Isegbe identified COVID-19 as the most perplexing public health challenge that the world has experienced in the last 100 years.

“It has overwhelmed the healthcare system of the most developed countries in the world.

“Nigeria happens to be a very populous country and we need not overwhelm the health facilities and personnel.

“We encourage you therefore, to stay at home, indoors and refrain from visiting anyone, not even within the neighbourhood “, Isegbe said.

NAN

MORE READING!  Sniffing dogs to detect Covid-19 at Dubai airport

General

Mali protests resume as thousands call for president’s resignation

Published

on

Thousands of people took to the streets of Mali’s rainy capital Bamako on Tuesday renewing calls for President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita to step down despite international mediation efforts to resolve a political crisis.

Protests led by an opposition coalition called M5-RFP have raged since June, caused by contested local elections and perceived government corruption and incompetence.

MORE READING!  Sniffing dogs to detect Covid-19 at Dubai airport

Tensions escalated in July when police shot dead at least 11 demonstrators.

Regional powers are worried that prolonged unrest could derail the fight against Islamist extremists in the region, many of whom are centred in Mali. Their presence has rendered large areas of the centre and north of Mali ungovernable.

MORE READING!  Trinidad and Tobago premier claims election victory and second term

Keita had hoped that concessions to opponents and recommendations from a mediating delegation of regional leaders would help stem the tide of disaffection.

But the majority of protestors appeared unmoved as they filed into Bamako’s heaving Independence Square in their thousands on Tuesday, shouting “Keita step down” and “listen to your people”.

“M5-Rfp demands purely and simply the resignation of Ibrahim Boubacar Keita and his regime to allow for a democratic transition,” prominent M5-RFP member Ibrahim Maiga told the cheering crowd.

Reuters

MORE READING!  Fund BDC to stabilise naira, Sanusi to CBN
Continue Reading

General

Nigeria pardons terrorists, wants to kill man for blasphemy – Apostle Suleman

Published

on

President of Omega Fire Ministries Worldwide Apostle Johnson Suleman has reacted to the death sentence handed down to a 22-year-old man by a Kano Upper Shari’a Court on Monday for blaspheming Prophet Muhammad.

Suleman via his Twitter page on Tuesday said Saudi Arabia will be shocked at the development.

He stressed that he could not understand how the death sentence would be awarded for blasphemy while Boko Haram fighters are pardoned.

MORE READING!  Trinidad and Tobago premier claims election victory and second term

He wrote, “A country that pardons terrorists want to kill a man for blasphemy. I am sure even Saudi Arabia is shocked..the worst form of deception is self-deceit.”

Saudi Arabia regularly hands down the death sentence for drug trafficking among other crimes.

MORE READING!  Sniffing dogs to detect Covid-19 at Dubai airport

Yahaya Sharif-Aminu, a resident of Sharifai in Kano metropolis, was accused of committing blasphemy against the prophet in a song he circulated via WhatsApp in March.

The incident caused riots in the city. His family house was burnt down in the process.

Continue Reading

General

Ogun traffic Corps arrests drivers of unlatched containerised trucks

Published

on

MORE READING!  Ex-banker, civil servants in court for alleged payroll fraud
Continue Reading




Trending