No fewer than eight states have said they will not embrace home treatment for coronavirus [COVID-19] patients, advising the infected to check into isolation centres.
WuzupNigeria recalled that the Lagos State Health Commissioner, Prof. Akin Abayomi, had on Thursday said the state would consider home treatment for some COVID-19 patients because some residents who tested positive for the COVID-19 refused to go to the state isolation centres and had been practising self-treatment in various places.
But the Chief Press Secretary to Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq of Kwara State and spokesperson for the state COVID-19 Technical committee, Rafiu Ajakaye, said the state government was not thinking of treating patients at home as it had sufficient bed spaces in its isolation centres.
He said apart from the 600-bed space at the Muslim Pilgrim Camp, another isolation centre had been established at the state General Hospital in Offa.
He said, “
The possibility of treating COVID-19 patients at home does not arise in Kwara State at the moment and certainly not anytime soon. This is because the occupied spaces at the state’s isolation facilities are not even two per cent.
“The focus of the administration is to continue to flatten the curve of infection, including preventing community transmission of the virus, so that we never have to exhaust our bed spaces.”
Kwara State, as of Friday morning had 66 confirmed cases with 25 discharged and one death, while the results of 96 samples were being awaited.
In Katsina State, the state government also said it was not thinking of treating COVID-19 patients at home, adding that it currently had enough bed spaces in its isolation centres.
The state Commissioner for Information and chairman of the COVID-19 Enlightenment committee, Sirika Abdullahi, said,
“No, we are not thinking of managing patients with COVID-19 at home. Our facilities can take care of them. We appeal to our people to shun large crowds, maintain social distancing, always wear face masks and ensure they frequently wash their hands with soap.”
Katsina has recorded 12 deaths from COVID-19 while the state now has over 300 cases of the pandemic.
Also in Ondo State, the Commissioner for Health, Dr Wahab Adegbenro, said the state had enough facilities to accommodate all its confirmed cases.
“We already have a 300- bed capacity isolation centre, but we currently have 22 cases. One is dead and 15 have been discharged while we have six left in the isolation centre. So, treatment of patients at home is out of it and we are not praying for that to happen.”
In Borno State, the Commissioner for Information, Mallam Babakura Abba-Jatto, said it was not considering home treatment for COVID-19 patients so as not to take chances with the health of the people of the state.
“For now, we have not reached that stage. The two centres in Maiduguri have yet to be full. We are not taking any chances.”
Also, the state Deputy Governor, Usman Kadafur, in a terse response to one of our correspondents enquiry, said the state had yet to reach the stage Lagos State was in.
In Gombe State, the Commissioner for Health, Dr Ahmed Gana, said the state was not considering home treatment at the moment unless there was an exponential increase in the number of cases. He noted that there were few cases in isolation centres and that over 91 had so far been discharged.
“We are not contemplating home isolation at the moment because of the high tendency of non-compliance with the requirements by most people. However, this may change if there is an exponential escalation of the cases beyond the planned capacity.”
In Edo State, the Special Adviser to Governor Godwin Obaseki on Media and Communication Strategy, Mr Crusoe Osagie, said the state had no plan to treat mild cases of the novel virus at home because the isolation centres in the state could contain all its COVID-19 patients.
“We are still able to accommodate most of our positive cases in the isolation centres that we have. We have a relatively large number of isolation wards relative to the number of patients we have. In Edo, our patients are still less than 150 at the moment and the isolation spaces we have are slightly above 500, which means we can comfortably admit at least 500 at a time in our isolation centres.”
He added that the state had holding centres for those with severe symptoms.
In Ekiti State, the Commissioner for Health, Dr Mojisola Yaya-Kolade, said on Friday that the state had not recorded any upsurge in COVID-19 cases that would warrant the adoption of home treatment option.
She stated that the state had so far recorded 20 active cases and only two fatalities, noting that the only challenge the state was facing had to do with people sneaking into the state.
“As of now, we have four patients in our isolation centre and we have a 120-bed isolation centre in operation, so we have no compelling situation to start isolating suspected COVID-19 patients or those with mild symptoms at home.”
She said their findings had established that the patient who died in the state on Wednesday was not infected in the state but in Kwara State where she came from.
In Sokoto State, the Commissioner for Health, Dr Mohammed Inname, said he would only speak at the next briefing of the state task force, but a member of the task force told one of our correspondents on condition of anonymity that the state was not considering it.
“Our case has not got to that level and we are nowhere near the capacity of our isolation centres to be considering managing cases at home,” the source added.
Meanwhile, some states have said they are not averse to home treatment for patients with mild symptoms.
In Ogun State, the Commissioner for Health, Dr Tomi Coker, said the state had already commenced home treatment for COVID-19 patients. This, she said, was to stop people who test positive from absconding owing to stigmatisation and not because of bed space shortage.
In an interview with one of our correspondents, she, however, cautioned that the move was not to encourage patients to shun isolation centres.
“Ogun State has started that already. We should, however, be careful about it. We are not saying going to the isolation centre is optional. I’m not encouraging people to stay at home, but if someone who tests positive insists they are not coming in, we just have to go to them and treat them so they don’t spread the virus.
“We have enough beds to treat people and with the option of home treatment, we will never run out of beds. Many people might run away after testing positive, so rather than run away, we treat them at home.”
In Osun State, the Commissioner for Health, Dr Rafiu Isamotu, said in advanced countries, only severe cases were treated in hospitals as he expressed hope that the state would not get to the stage of considering home treatment.
“We hope we won’t have reasons to consider house treatment in our state. Lagos may not have other options, because of the fast rate at which the disease is spreading,” Isamotu said.
In Kano State, the Coordinator of the Task Force Committee on COVID-19, Dr Tijjani Husain, said the state was looking critically at the national guidelines for home treatment before it would consider it.
“We are critically looking at the guidelines to see the possibility of treating the patients at home because each state has the liberty to implement the guidelines,” he added.
He, however, declined to state whether the state was facing a shortage of bed space.
The Director, Infections Control, Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital and Chairman, Risk Communication Committee on COVID-19, Prof Isah Abubakar, said recently that the state was targeting at least 5,000-bed spaces.
“In the next one month, Kano is targeting 5, 000 or more beds to be provided at isolation centres in view of the increasing number of COVID-19 cases in Kano State,” he added.
In Oyo State, the Incidents Manager for COVID-19, Dr Olabode Ladiipo, said the state task force would review the protocol for treatment of patients who test positive for the virus in view of the growing number of cases.
“We are reviewing our protocol for admission now. We are looking at the situation in which we might have to check whether someone is symptomatic or not. If there are no symptoms and we look at the result and the viral load is not heavy, we can consider their home status if they have an ideal home for isolation. Then, we might be considering self-isolation.”
Ladiipo said contact tracing in the company where many staff members tested positive was ongoing, adding that the state was looking at the purchase of more testing kits and reagents owing to increase in cases.
On the run COVID-19 patients worry FG
The Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, said the Federal Government was disturbed by COVID-19 patients, who were fleeing isolation centres. This, he said, had worsened the transmission of the virus in communities.
The health minister said the government had problems in trying to convince some COVID-19 positive people that they had the virus.
“We also have issues with people who test positive and think you are going to look for them and then they run. So the figures don’t tally because people who think you are going to trace them don’t want to go into isolation.”
The health minister explained that the Federal Ministry of Health team sent to investigate the incidents in Kano, Sokoto, Jigawa, Borno, Katsina and Gombe had concluded its work and would submit its final report on Friday (today).
Meanwhile, confirmed cases of coronavirus have increased to 11,516 in Nigeria.
This is after the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control announced 350 new cases of COVID-19 in the country.
The NCDC made the announcement via its Twitter handle on Thursday.
“On the 4th of June 2020, 350 new confirmed cases and 8 deaths were recorded in Nigeria.
“No new state has reported a case in the last 24 hours.
“To date, 11516 cases have been confirmed, 3535 cases have been discharged and 323 deaths have been recorded in 35 states and the Federal Capital Territory.
“The 350 new cases are reported from 20 states- Lagos (102), Ogun (34), FCT (29), Borno (26), Kaduna (23), Rivers (21), Kwara (16), Ebonyi (17), Katsina (14), Edo (10), Delta (10), Kano (10), Bauchi (10), Bayelsa (9), Imo (8), Plateau (4), Ondo (3), Nasarawa (2), Gombe (1), Oyo (1).”
70 health workers test positive for coronavirus in Ghana
Seventy health workers in Ghana’s central region have tested positive for coronavirus, according to health authorities.
The country has recorded over 8,000 confirmed cases of the disease, 38 deaths and more than 3,000 recoveries.
The infected health workers are said to be asymptomatic, which means they have not shown symptoms of the virus.
The authorities say some of them did not adhere to safety protocols and got infected from the community.
The central region in southern Ghana has recorded over 400 cases of the virus, and 70 of them are health workers.
President Nana Akufo-Addo has eased restrictions on religious gatherings and has opened schools for final year students despite a rise in cases. But Ghana’s borders remain closed indefinitely.
COVID-19: NOA intensifies campaign, seeks media collaboration against spread
The National Orientation Agency (NOA) in Ebonyi has embarked on house-to-house and streets-to-streets enlightenment campaigns on the public to adhere strictly to COVID-19 safety protocols.
The State Director of the Agency, Dr Emma Abah, made this known on Thursday, during its COVID-19 motorised campaign, around major city centres in the state.
The campaign had as its theme: “Communicating Government Policies, Programmes and Activities”.
Abah, who addressed the general public in various languages during the campaign, said that the sensitisation aimed at reaching out to those at the grassroots level who might be ignorant of the pandemic and its protocols.
The state director, who led the campaign team, said that the exercise would be extended to the 13 Local Government areas of Ebonyi by the Community Orientation and Mobilization Officers.
He said the campaign would focus specifically on those who did not believe that the epidemic was real.
Abah said: “We are reaching out to streets, government offices, motor parks, traditional rulers, village heads, villages, communities among other groups to observe the safety measures.
“The public enlightenment is to ensure total compliance of the COVID-19 regulations such as regular hand wash, use of sanitizers, face masks, avoiding social gathering, social distancing and among other preventive measures.”
He called on electronic and print media organisations’ supports to assist governments efforts in containing the coronavirus spread through continuous sensitisation of the public.
The General Manager, Nigeria Television Authority, Abakaliki, Uzoma Ozordi, pledged the organisation’s continuous support to fight the pandemic.
“We have taken measures and will continue to assist the state government with programmes to boost its efforts,” Ozordi said.
Also, the General Manager, Federal Radio Corporation, Unity FM, Abakaliki, Mr Rex Eze promised to work together with NOA in Ebonyi to achieve set objectives.
The representative of the National Union of Road Transport Workers in Ebonyi, Mr Anthony Obasi, also urged the state government to step up measures to prevent the spread of the virus in parks.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the campaign progressed from street-to-street, city centres, government offices and various offices of media houses in Ebonyi.
Man arrested for serially raping his two daughters for six years
We’ll ban churches, mosques gatherings again if…, FG says
Glee Hotel refutes claims that D’banj raped a lady in their hotel
May my old body be your portion, Tonto Dikeh blasts critics who are against plastic surgery
Buhari nominates Okonjo-Iweala for WTO DG position
COVID-19: Osun relaxes curfew, asks workers to resume
Bachelor, 66, arrested for allegedly luring, raping minors with chocolates in Yobe
Kylie Jenner: Not a billionaire, but highest-paid celebrity- Forbes
Kim Jong-un may have faked his death to expose traitors in his circle- Report
Covid-19 can enter the body through the eyes, Scientists warn
Coronavirus researcher killed in murder-suicide
Odumeje finally reveals the source of his power (Video)
Zubby Michael’s testimony video in Odumeje’s Church surfaces after he denied the prophet
Lady narrates how her Fiance’s family said they can’t marry two weeks to the wedding
Africans no longer wanted in China, says NIDCOM Chair
Nigeria records 176 new COVID-19 cases, total now 5,621
Video: Big legal problem? In Nigeria, men cannot be raped, lawyer says
Mother in tears as her daughter, 4, narrates how she was raped by school teacher (video)
Comedian Oluwadolarz responds to rape allegations
Uwa Omozuwa: Father of victim finally speaks (video)
Nigerian businessman, accused of theft, beaten to death in India [Video]
Again, police arrest Bobrisky in Lekki (video)
White woman lies against black man in New York Park, gets sacked (Video)
VIDEO: Seven-year-old boy, taught by Boko Haram, demonstrates gun handling and shooting strategies
Metro3 days ago
Man caught defiling two girls aged five and six (Video)
Entertainment3 days ago
Nigerian Adult film star, Kingtblakhoc, allegedly accused of using 13-year-old for his [email protected] movie (videos)
Coronavirus3 days ago
Covid-19: Africa’s cases hit 150,000- WHO
Entertainment3 days ago
Davido sustains leg injury, confined to crutches
Metro3 days ago
Delta: Popular baker, Achiki, dies in auto crash
General3 days ago
JUST IN: Churches, Mosques to remain shut in Lagos – Commissioner
Metro3 days ago
Good for her, man rejoices over rape, murder of Uwa Omozuwa
Coronavirus3 days ago
UK Govt issues new lockdown rules, says s*x with someone you don’t live with now Illegal