The Benue State Government on Saturday confirmed its first case of the novel coronavirus disease otherwise known as COVID-19.
Governor Samuel Ortom disclosed this while briefing journalists in Makurdi, the state capital, shortly after the announcement by the Nigeria Center for Disease Control.
He gave the name of the patient as “Susan Okpe”, who returned from the United Kingdom, adding that the state action committee had already commenced contact tracing of about eight persons.
The governor explained that he disclosed the identity of the patient so that those who had made contact with her could take the necessary steps.
He said the patient is presently being managed at the State Treatment Centre located at State University Teaching Hospital, Makurdi.
The governor said he had ordered his deputy, Benson Abounu, to be tested for coronavirus.
He said 70-year-old Abounu was at a recently held National Economic Council meeting in Abuja.
Two attendees at the meeting tested positive for coronavirus.
“We are already tracing of all those Susan Okpe came in contact with.
“In addition, samples of two other ladies have been collected but one among them turned to be negative to the virus.
“I have also told my deputy governor to go for a test having returned from the National Economic Council meeting in Abuja even though he told me that he had no close contact with those suspected to have contracted the virus.”
As of 04:29 pm on Saturday, there are 89 cases of COVID-19 in Nigeria.
Bayelsa confirms first COVID-19 death
The Bayelsa State Government has confirmed the death of a Coronavirus patient from complications linked to the disease.
The Director of Public Health in the state’s ministry of health and member of the state’s COVID-19 task force committee, Dr Jones Stowe who confirmed the death of the patient said the deceased is one of the two military personnel who was among the new cases announced in the state a few days ago.
Daily Trust reported that the deceased died after suffering from Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) and other related complications days after testing positive for Coronavirus.
Bayelsa state has so far recorded 12 confirmed cases of Coronavirus.
COVID-19: Monarch seeks lockdown extension
The Chairman of the Imo State Council of Traditional Rulers told the Federal Government on Sunday to extend the current lockdown as the total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Nigeria nears the 10,000 mark.
Eze Samuel Ohiri made the appeal in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja, saying the lockdown extension was necessary to avert the rapid spread of the deadly virus in rural communities.
Nigeria has currently recorded 9,855 confirmed cases of the virus, 553 of which were recorded in the past 24 hours.
Two hundred and seventy-five deaths have also been recorded with 2,856 people discharged after recovering from the disease, according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.
On March 4, President Muhammadu Buhari announced a nationwide lockdown to check the spread of the virus and extended the lockdown on May 4.
Ohiri, who is also the Chief Executive Officer of Hi-Tech Diagnostics Ltd., noted that the lockdown had isolated the deadly virus to only metropolitan areas.
“Any plan to relax the lockdown at this time is not advisable because it will trigger community transmission from the metropolitan areas to rural areas.
“Nigeria at the moment has lost over 200 lives to COVID-19 and we cannot afford to lose more. So let government not relax the lockdown for now.”
The monarch also lauded the Federal Government’s efforts so far in containing the virus, urging State Governments to sustain the restriction on inter-state movements.
According to him, as soon the lockdown is lifted, inter-state movements will commence and community transmission will set in.
“A country like Ghana recorded unprecedented 60 per cent increase in COVID-19 infections after relaxing their lockdown.
“This disease is very deadly that even the survivors still suffer damage of one organ or the order, especially the lungs.”
The royal father, however, described speculations of conspiracy theory on COVID-19 as unfounded rumours, saying that proper education was required to prepare people against the virus.
He emphasised the imperative of collective responsibility in the fight against the virus, saying that total adherence to safety measures was key to reducing spread.
Ohiri disclosed that his firm had manufactured testing kits for COVID-19 and that the kits were capable of showing results in five minutes.
Doctors threaten strike as Nigeria records 553 new cases of COVID-19
The fight against the spread of the Coronavirus pandemic in the country is facing a fresh challenge, following a threat by the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) to call out its members on an indefinite strike.
Doctors accused the government of failure to resolve issues revolving around their welfare and safety and want the matter resolved within 14 days.
With confirmed cases of COVID-19 rising to 9,855 nationwide on Saturday, a strike by the resident doctors at this time is capable of throwing spanner in the works with regard to fighting the pandemic.
The federal government, according to the NARD is paying lip service to the welfare of health workers, especially when it concerns the review of hazard allowances and life insurance, which it says is active only on the pages of newspapers.
The association is also demanding the reinstatement of its 26 members who were ‘illegally’ sacked in Jos.
It said some state governments had chosen this critical and wrong time in the country to slash the salaries of health workers.
Speaking with The Nation, the President of the NARD, Dr Aliyu Sokomba, said:
“The illegal disengagement of 26 resident doctors at Jos University Teaching Hospital in the face of this pandemic without recourse to the law governing the residency training is one of the paramount issues that we believe should not only be addressed but also an apology issued to those affected.
“Our stand is that if there is anyone that is due to be disengaged, even if it is by tomorrow, the person should be disengaged. But we cannot tolerate illegal disengagement of people without recourse to the Residency Training Programme.
“We demand immediate recall of the sacked resident doctors at Jos and payments of their salaries.
“Secondly, the residency training itself has not been implemented for some time now, even though there is already an Act enacted that was timed as far back as 2017. The part of the act states that there shall be funding for the programme and people who are not able to finish their programme in good time will be disengaged.
“The government has decided to implement part of the Act that says you should disengage them when they don’t finish their programme but has failed to implement the part that says you should fund their programme.
“This is without prejudice to what is happening in Jos because what is happening in Jos is that the Act was totally abandoned and they illegally disengaged them.
“We demand universal implementation of the Residency Training Act in both Federal and State teaching hospital. We also enjoin the Federal Government through the National Assembly to ensure full capture of the residency training funding in the 2021 Appropriation Bill.
“What is worse is that all of this is happening when we thought that measures will be rolled out to address the COVID-19 and at least, if not improve the condition of doctors, then, the status Quo should be maintained. On the other hand, what we get is further assault.”
The Federal Government, he said, had agreed to review the hazard allowance of healthcare workers.
“Three months down the lane, nothing has been done,” he said.
Continuing, he said: “Our hazard allowance even as at May is still reflecting the N5,000 hazard allowance they claimed they have reviewed.
“We think there is no sincerity in the way and manner government is handling this matter.
“The life insurance they claimed they have also procured for doctors and other health care workers is only on the pages of newspaper.
“We demand immediate implementation of the revised hazard allowance and payment of COVID -19 inducement allowance.
“As I speak to you, I have just been informed of the death of one of our colleagues, Dr. Nas, who incidentally was my classmate in medical school.
“So, the point is that as people keep dying, what do we tell their families and relations? Is it that we are just watching them die, while government is doing nothing and we are not saying anything?
“What is worse is that in some states, the government has decided again to further add insult to injury. They waited until COVID-19 time to slash doctors and other health care workers’ salaries further.
“Like what was recently executed by the Kaduna State Government that cut the salaries of health workers by twenty-five (25) per cent.
“We demand payment of arrears of the consequential adjustment of the new minimum wage to our members and its application to state tertiary health institutions.
“NARD condemns the illegal deductions in salaries of our members by some state governments and demands immediate refund.
“We note with concern the incessant harassment of her members by security agents and assault on our members while on duty, particularly in Lagos, Delta, and Abuja. We call on security agencies to stop the harassment and assaults of doctors while carrying out their legitimate activities.
“The association is hereby issuing a 14-day ultimatum to government after which the Association shall proceed on a National Total and Indefinite Strike action should our demands remain unmet at the end of the 14 days.”
Ogun doctors kick over delay in salary payment, unfair treatment
The Association of Resident Doctors of Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital (OOUTH), Sagamu, Ogun State, separately kicked over what it called delay in the payment of members’ salaries, hazard allowances and government poor handling of their plight.
The association denied signing any MOU with the state government over their plights.
The association’s President, Dr Popoola Abiodun, and General Secretary, Dr Osundara Adewale, wondered in a statement how government “expects us to be valiant in the face of COVID -19 when we have been having perpetual delays in the payment of salaries coupled with unresolved issues before them?”
In the statement entitled Ogun Resident Doctors Protest Continued Unfair Treatment, the ARD said: “Perpetually we have also been having our salaries delayed for no good reason. We had our salaries in April paid at the middle of May when other workers in the state were paid in April.
“Other workers in the state have been paid their May salaries as of 21st of May, 2020 but here we are still expecting the miracle.
“This kind of ill treatment does not speak well of a government that proclaims to care for all.
“Our wait is now one week gone but up till now, the government has been evasive.
“As it stands, some people are even misleading the governor by telling him we signed an MOU. Nothing can be further from the truth.”
PSG sign striker Icardi on permanent deal
Ondo: Christians obey govt’s directive on partial reopening of worship centers
65-year-old customs boss, Hameed Ali, takes new wife (Photos)
Obaseki orders Police investigation into death of UNIBEN student
Nvde photos: RRS arrest Salawa Abeni’s blackmailer
Bayelsa confirms first COVID-19 death
JUST IN: Policeman kills colleagues in shooting spree
COVID-19: Monarch seeks lockdown extension
Rolls-Royce to cut up to 8,000 Jobs
Kim Jong-un may have faked his death to expose traitors in his circle- Report
JUST IN: Nigeria records highest COVID-19 cases, deaths in West Africa
I will never be any man’s third wife- Actress Christabel sues media outlet for ‘fake news’
Covid-19 can enter the body through the eyes, Scientists warn
I really need a man, I don’t mind being second or third wife – Actress Christabel Egbenya reveals
Obasa threatens Sowore with N1bn defamation lawsuit
Bauchi lockdown: Imam flogged in public for conducting prayers in mosque [Video]
Nigerian businessman, accused of theft, beaten to death in India [Video]
Again, police arrest Bobrisky in Lekki (video)
White woman lies against black man in New York Park, gets sacked (Video)
VIDEO: Seven-year-old boy, taught by Boko Haram, demonstrates gun handling and shooting strategies
VIDEO: Seven months pregnant doctor saving COVID-19 patients from death
I nearly committed suicide over N20m debt – Real Warri Pikin
Armed men on motorcycles attack Lekki security guards (video)
Corpse of actress Destiny Etiko’s dad arrives Enugu for burial [Video]
Metro3 days ago
Baby born with two mouths baffles doctors
Metro3 days ago
For drinking his soft drink without permission, man kills his brother in Lagos
Coronavirus2 days ago
Monkeys attack lab assistant, escape with COVID-19 samples
Metro3 days ago
Troops rescue 105 women, 136 children from Boko Haram in Borno
Entertainment2 days ago
Alleged N30m fraud: See what Bobrisky said after he was arrested
health3 days ago
FG to use hotels, schools as quarantine, isolation centres
Entertainment3 days ago
Bobrisky arrested for alleged N30m fraud
Metro3 days ago
COVID-19: Lagos BRT increases fares by 50 per cent