Connect with us

Coronavirus

COVID-19: Police arrest nine for violating ban on burials, weddings, others in Ebonyi

Published

No fewer than nine persons have been arrested in Ebonyi State for violating the state government’s ban on burials, weddings and others, in the state.

The Commissioner for Police, Awosola Awotinde, stated this during a live phone-in programme on the state’s broadcast station, on Sunday.

Ebonyi State Government, in the wake of the outbreak of the deadly Coronaviris, placed a ban on burials, weddings and other ceremonies in the state for, 31 days.

MORE READING!  Buhari‘s nephew, Ibrahim Dauda, dies in Daura

Those arrested, according to the police boss, violated the order.

According to Mr Awotinde, seven of the suspects were arrested in the Ezza South Local Government Area, while two suspects were arrested in the Ikwo Local Government Area of the state.

The commissioner said,

“Anyone who flouts any law of the restrictions announced by the government would be arrested and prosecuted.

“The closing of the state borders, which began on Saturday (March 28, 2020) would be strictly implemented to the letter in conjunction with other security and paramilitary agencies in the state.”

News

JUST IN: Nigeria records 387 new COVID-19 cases, total now 10162 cases

Published

on

Nigeria’s total confirmed cases of coronavirus (Covid-19) have risen to 10,162.

According to Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, 307 new cases were recorded on Sunday with Lagos recording the highest number of 188 as usual.

Also, 13 other states and FCT recorded new cases while 3,007 patients have been treated and discharged.

MORE READING!  FG to use hotels, schools as quarantine, isolation centres

Prompt News reports that 14 new deaths were added on Sunday, bringing the total fatalities to 287.

“307 new cases of #COVID19;

Lagos-188
FCT-44
Ogun-19
Kaduna-14
Oyo-12
Bayelsa-9
Gombe-5
Kano-3
Delta-3
Imo-2
Rivers-2
Niger-2
Bauchi-2
Plateau-1
Kwara-1

“10162 cases of #COVID19Nigeria
Discharged: 3007,/Deaths: 287

Continue Reading

General

Bayelsa confirms first COVID-19 death

Published

on

The Bayelsa State Government has confirmed the death of a Coronavirus patient from complications linked to the disease.

The Director of Public Health in the state’s ministry of health and member of the state’s COVID-19 task force committee, Dr Jones Stowe who confirmed the death of the patient said the deceased is one of the two military personnel who was among the new cases announced in the state a few days ago.

MORE READING!  See how Wizkid reacted to the murder of 17-year-old Tina

Daily Trust reported that the deceased died after suffering from Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) and other related complications days after testing positive for Coronavirus.

Bayelsa state has so far recorded 12 confirmed cases of Coronavirus.

Continue Reading

General

COVID-19: Monarch seeks lockdown extension

Published

on

Imo: Okada rider crushed while answering phone call

The Chairman of the Imo State Council of Traditional Rulers told the Federal Government on Sunday to extend the current lockdown as the total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Nigeria nears the 10,000 mark.

Eze Samuel Ohiri made the appeal in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja, saying the lockdown extension was necessary to avert the rapid spread of the deadly virus in rural communities.

Nigeria has currently recorded 9,855 confirmed cases of the virus, 553 of which were recorded in the past 24 hours.

Two hundred and seventy-five deaths have also been recorded with 2,856 people discharged after recovering from the disease, according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: FG suspends evacuation of stranded Nigerians

On March 4, President Muhammadu Buhari announced a nationwide lockdown to check the spread of the virus and extended the lockdown on May 4.

Ohiri, who is also the Chief Executive Officer of Hi-Tech Diagnostics Ltd., noted that the lockdown had isolated the deadly virus to only metropolitan areas.

“Any plan to relax the lockdown at this time is not advisable because it will trigger community transmission from the metropolitan areas to rural areas.

“Nigeria at the moment has lost over 200 lives to COVID-19 and we cannot afford to lose more. So let government not relax the lockdown for now.”

The monarch also lauded the Federal Government’s efforts so far in containing the virus, urging State Governments to sustain the restriction on inter-state movements.

MORE READING!  Buhari congratulates Masari at 70

According to him, as soon the lockdown is lifted, inter-state movements will commence and community transmission will set in.

“A country like Ghana recorded unprecedented 60 per cent increase in COVID-19 infections after relaxing their lockdown.

“This disease is very deadly that even the survivors still suffer damage of one organ or the order, especially the lungs.”

The royal father, however, described speculations of conspiracy theory on COVID-19 as unfounded rumours, saying that proper education was required to prepare people against the virus.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: 268 Nigerians arrive in Abuja from China

He emphasised the imperative of collective responsibility in the fight against the virus, saying that total adherence to safety measures was key to reducing spread.

Ohiri disclosed that his firm had manufactured testing kits for COVID-19 and that the kits were capable of showing results in five minutes.

NAN

Continue Reading




Trending