Connect with us

Coronavirus

COVID-19: Saudi King in isolation after 150 royal family members reportedly test positive

Published

Saudi King n Prince

The dreaded coronavirus has reportedly invaded Saudi’s inner sanctum.

At least150 members of the royal family including Saudi Prince Faisal bin Bandar bin Abdulaziz Al Saud reportedly got infected with Coronavirus, forcing Saudi Arabia’s King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to go into isolation.

Saudi Prince Faisal bin Bandar bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, the governor of the capital Riyadh who is in his 70s – is in intensive care after contracting the virus, according to The New York Times, which cited hospital communications, doctors in the country and sources familiar with the family.

MORE READING!  Details of salary promised 58 doctors attempting to swap Nigeria for the UK revealed

In a bid to avoid the outbreak, King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (MBS) have gone into isolation.

Doctors at an elite hospital that treats royals are reportedly preparing 500 more beds for an expected influx of patients.

“Directives are to be ready for VIPs from around the country,” the operators of the elite facility, the King Faisal Specialist Hospital, wrote in a “high alert” sent out electronically on Tuesday to senior doctors and later obtained by the Times.

“We don’t know how many cases we will get but high alert,” said the message, which instructed “all chronic patients to be moved out ASAP” and only “top urgent cases” will be accepted, according to the newspaper.

Saudi princes travel regularly to Europe and some are believed to have contracted the virus abroad and brought it back to Saudi Arabia, the report said.

MORE READING!  Egypt records 923 new COVID-19 cases, total now 81,158

The kingdom has reported 2,932 cases and 41 deaths so far.

 

General

COVID-19: Kwara deputy governor’s aides test positive

Published

on

Some aides of the Kwara State deputy governor and chairman of the Technical Committee on Coronavirus, Mr Kayode Alabi, have tested positive for COVID-19.

In a statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the deputy governor, Modupe Joel, on Sunday, the deputy governor said his COVID-19 positive aides have been admitted to Covid-19 Infectious centre, Sobi Specialist Hospital Ilorin.

MORE READING!  Nigeria records 499 new cases of COVID-19, total now 30,748

Mr Alabi, who again called on the people of the state to always adhere strictly to COVID-19 safety protocols, warned that the disease is a real and present danger that requires serious caution.

He explained that the government is determined to flatten the curve of COVID-19 and curb community transmission.

The Deputy Governor called on Kwarans to take responsibility in the fight against the disease, saying that the only antidote against COVID-19 is to obey all the government’s and health officials precautionary measures such as wearing of nose masks, avoidance of large gathering, adherence to physical distancing, washing of hands with soap and running water or sanitiser, among others.

MORE READING!  Details of salary promised 58 doctors attempting to swap Nigeria for the UK revealed

He also advised all Ministries, Departments and Agencies to emulate his action by testing staff.

 

Continue Reading

General

Oyo discharges 67 more Covid-19 patients

Published

on

Oyo: Makinde says schools, worship centres won't reopen anytime soon

No fewer than 67 COVID-19 patients were on Saturday discharged from the Oyo State Isolation Centre after receiving their second negative test results.

Governor Seyi Makinde, who announced this through his official Twitter handle, on Sunday, said the figure raised the number of discharged cases in the state to 992.

He, however, stated that 17 new cases were recorded on Saturday when their tests came back positive.

MORE READING!  French bus driver dies five days after passengers beat, left him brain-damaged for not wearing face mask

According to the governor, the cases are from Ibadan North Local Government Area (LGA) with six, Ibadan Southwest LGA with four, while Lagelu and Oluyole LGAs have three and two cases respectively.

“Akinyele LGA and Ogbomosho North LGA recorded one case each. So, the total number of confirmed cases in Oyo State as at today is 1,706,” Makinde tweeted.

MORE READING!  Africa urged to test more as coronavirus cases exceed 500,000

The governor added that one COVID-19 related death was also recorded on Saturday, bringing the number of deaths in Oyo State to 21.

He implored residents of the state to keep following the guidelines of the COVID-19 Task Force to ensure a slow down in the spread of the virus in the state.

“Wash your hands regularly with soap and water, wear face masks in public places and maintain proper social distancing.

MORE READING!  'DR Anu inflicted me with pain', Omohtee speaks after botched cosmetic surgery

“Also call the Emergency Operations Centre on 08095394000, 08095863000, 08078288999 and 08078288800 or visit a community-based testing centre, if you have any COVID-19 symptom.

“The symptoms are cough, fever, tiredness, body ache, loss of smell/taste and shortness of breath,” the governor tweeted.

 

 

 

 

 

 

NAN

Continue Reading

Coronavirus

India records highest daily spike of Covid-19 cases

Published

on

India within the last 24 hours recorded a single-day spike of 28,637 COVID-19 cases, making the country’s caseload already close to crossing the 850,000 marks.

This comes just five days after crossing the 700,000 marks, India Today reports.

According to the Union Health Ministry report, the new figure of cases has made it the ninth consecutive day that coronavirus cases in India increased by more than 22,000.

MORE READING!  WHO calls for equitable access to future COVID-19 vaccines in Africa

The Health Ministry also reported 551 deaths in the last 24 hours. With the fresh cases, India’s coronavirus tally has now reached 849,553.

Out of the cases, 292,258 are active and 534,621 people have been cured of the infection. The death toll has also hit 22,674.

New Delhi, the capital alone recorded 1,781 fresh coronavirus cases on Saturday, taking the tally in the city to over 110,000, while the death toll from the disease climbed to 3,334.

MORE READING!  'DR Anu inflicted me with pain', Omohtee speaks after botched cosmetic surgery

In other news, Bollywood film star Amitabh Bachchan and his son Abhishek Bachchan have tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

The Indian actor on Saturday announced on his Twitter page has tested positive to the infection. The Indian Express reported that the 77-year-old actor was admitted to Nanavati Hospital in Mumbai

Continue Reading




Trending