Connect with us

Coronavirus

COVID-19: Three politicians arrested at a private club (Video)

Published

Police in Kenya have arrested three politicians alongside many others who were partying at various locations in the country during the Coronavirus lockdown.

Police said they first arrested six people on Saturday after they broke up a private party being hosted at the Viraj Villa in Kileleshwa, Nairobi.

The six were apprehended after neighbours called the authorities to report that the house party had been going on for hours.

MORE READING!  Grandparents arrested for torturing seven-year-old grand-daughter

In Nyeri County, three lawmakers were arrested after police raided a house were they had locked themselves inside in Kingongo area. The three were part of 17 revelers who were apprehended at the house which they had reportedly converted into a club, following a tip-off from members of the public.

In another raid in Kilimani, police also arrested a number of people who were holding a party at an apartment on Menelik Road.

MORE READING!  Italy bans entry from 13 countries due to coronavirus fears

Confirming their arrest, Nyeri Central Sub County Police boss Paul Kuria said all the suspects, including the lawmakers, would be charged in a court of law over their actions.

Last month, President Uhuru Kenyatta announced an indefinite ban of public gatherings and imposed a 10-hour nationwide daily curfew running from 7 pm to 5 am in order to halt the spread of COVID-19.

MORE READING!  Police arrest four COVID-19 escapees in Rwanda

Watch video below:

Nigeria Update

Cancellation of WASSCE will truncate future of Nigerian children – Reps

Published

on

The House of Representatives on Friday said the cancellation of the West African Senior Secondary School Examinations [WASSCE] will truncate the future of Nigerian children.

WuzupNigeria reports that the examination, administered by the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) and held yearly in May, was postponed indefinitely in April after schools were shut down across the country in a bid to contain the spread of COVID-19.

The Minister of State for Education, Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, announced during a media briefing on July 6 that the examination will now take place between August 4 and September 5.

But the Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu, on Wednesday 8 July 2020 at the end of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting presided by President Muhammadu Buhari cancelled examination, saying he would prefer that “Nigerian students lose an academic year than to expose them to dangers” of COVID-19.

MORE READING!  90 Percent of staff at Ghana education ministry test positive for Covid-19

He added that the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) cannot determine the resumption date of schools for Nigeria.

But the Chairman of the House Committee on Basic Education, Prof Julius Ihonbvare, who made the position of the House known in a statement in Abuja said the announcement by the minister was done without due consultation with relevant stakeholders in the education sector.

He said the Education Minister did not inform the country if his decision was in agreement with other West African leaders or in consultation with the examination bodies, the state governments and other stakeholders in the education sector.

He said:

“The minister also did not also inform the public, if the decision was the outcome of a meeting with all state governments that are in charge of all, but the unity secondary schools that are owned by the federal government.

“The Minister of State, in his usually consultative and participatory approach, had briefed the nation at the COVID 19 Presidential Committee briefing over the airwaves and in an appearance before the House Committee on Basic Education where he assured Nigerians that all steps had or were being taken to ensure full compliance with all COVID 19 protocols.

“This sudden policy reversal is not good for the country. It is bound to create further confusion in the education sector, create disappointment and suspicion among parents, frustrate the students and show to our development partners and Nigerians that the distortions and disarticulations in the sector are only getting worse.

“The reversal also shows that our policymakers may just be adopting a laid-back approach to the need to confront the novel coronavirus rather than taking proactive and creative steps to manage and contain it.

“The House Committee disagrees with the minister and believes that a reconsideration is urgently needed to save our educational system on the following grounds that Nigeria is not the only country expected to write the examination in the midst of Covid-19.

“Nigeria should insist that the examination be based exclusively on the already covered syllabus of schools; the Federal Ministry should not chicken out of its responsibilities but take charge, provide policy direction, engage the states and other stakeholders, while the WAEC should quadruple its invigilators and use all classrooms and event centres to conduct the examination and comply with Covid-19 protocols.”

Continue Reading

General

2,191 Covid-19 patients yet to report for treatment- Lagos govt

Published

on

The Lagos State Government has said that 2,191 COVID-19 patients who are located across communities have yet to submit themselves for treatment at the state care centres.

The state Commissioner for Health, Prof Akin Abayomi, who disclosed this on Friday, added that residents of the state must continue to take the responsibility of wearing face masks in public in addition to regular handwashing and physical distancing.

MORE READING!  Kenyan suspends all school activities till January 2021

Abayomi said on his Twitter handle that the total number of COVID-19 tests conducted in the state stood at 45,490.

He said,

“The new cases bring the total number of confirmed COVID-19 infections in Lagos to 11,537 as of Wednesday. Also, 2,191 active cases in communities have yet to turn up for admission in COVID-19 Lagos care centres. For a greater Lagos, we take responsibility by wearing our face masks when in public spaces in addition to regular handwashing and physical distancing.

“Stopping the community spread of COVID-19 begins with you. Staying alive and safe together begins with us. 1,753 of the confirmed cases have since been discharged from COVID-19 care centres following full recovery while 7,059 of the confirmed cases are being monitored in communities by the COVID-19 Lagos response team.”

 

MORE READING!  Girl, 7, reports grandparents to police in Ogun, accuses them of torturing her with hot rubber 

 

Continue Reading

Coronavirus

French bus driver dies five days after passengers beat, left him brain-damaged for not wearing face mask

Published

on

A French bus driver has died five days after being viciously beaten during a dispute over wearing face masks, his family announced Friday.

Philippe Monguillot, 58, was initially left brain dead after he confronted a group of passengers who were not complying with a rule that requires face masks on public transportation when they boarded without tickets around 7 p.m. Sunday in Bayonne in south-west France.

The passengers dragged him off the bus and onto the platform, where he was kicked and beaten by the group before they fled.

Monguillot’s family and care providers decided it was best to take him off life support.

“We decided to let him go,” Monguillot’s daughter Marie told AFP news agency Friday, adding doctors had agreed with the decision.

Five male suspects face charges in the attack, though their names have not been released.

MORE READING!  COVID-19 pandemic is 'accelerating' and 'getting worse' - WHO boss warns as world cases hit nearly 12 million

Two men, ages 22 and 23, have been charged with attempted murder, two others with non-assistance to a person in danger and another with attempting to hide a suspect, the BBC reported.

The group attacked Monguillot after he asked three of the men to put on face masks. France has instituted a nationwide face-covering mandated for public transit.

The mayor of Bayonne condemned the “barbaric act,” which sparked a massive protest in the city where thousands marched for the driver, according to the BBC.

Regional bus service was severely disrupted after the beating when drivers refused to work.

As Monguillot clung to life, his wife, Veronique, said the couple’s lives have been “destroyed” by the tragedy.

“He can’t leave us like this, he was going to be 59 years old soon,” she told Le Parisien. “No, you don’t do this over a bus ticket. You don’t kill for free like this.”

The city’s mayor Jean-Rene Etchegaray, condemned the “barbaric” attack.

MORE READING!  Two-year-old girl raped while in hospital's coronavirus isolation ward

He tweeted:

“Philippe Monguillot has left us. He succumbs to barbaric aggression in the exercise of his profession.

“A faithful servant of the public service, he leaves the image of a generous man. Support for colleagues in grief. Our affection for his grieving wife and family.”

French prime minister Jean Castex said Mr Monguillot’s death following the “cowardly assault” while he was trying to do his job “touches us in the heart”.

MORE READING!  I thank God police arrested us, gang leader says

He tweeted:

“The Republic recognises in him an exemplary citizen and will not forget him. Justice will punish the perpetrators of this abject crime.”

Interior Minister Gerard Darmanin sent his condolences to Mr Monguillot’s family, saying those involved in the incident must be punished.

He tweeted:

“I extend my sincere condolences to the family, relatives and colleagues of Philippe Monguillot, bus driver who was violently attacked last Sunday in Bayonne.

“This heinous and cowardly act must not go unpunished.”

He added:

“I will go tomorrow to #Bayonne to take stock of safety in the city with the heads of state services and meet the drivers and unions of public transport.”

Continue Reading




Trending