Connect with us

Sports

Covid-19: U.S. basketball legend Patrick Ewing test positive

Published

U.S. Basketball hall-of-fame Patrick Ewing announced on Friday that he has tested positive for coronavirus (Covid-19) and has been hospitalised.

Ewing, who is now the head coach of Georgetown University basketball team shared his status on Twitter, along with a statement by the university.

“I want to share that I have tested positive for COVID-19. This virus is serious and should not be taken lightly,” the Jamaica-born Ewing said.

“I want to encourage everyone to stay safe and take care of yourselves and your loved ones. Now more than ever, I want to thank healthcare workers and everyone on the front lines. I’ll be fine and we will all get through this.”

Here is the statement by the university:

MORE READING!  EPL clubs to substitute five players after season restarts

The 57-year-old Ewing played basketball between 1985 and 2002, predominantly for New York Knicks.

 

Sports

EPL clubs to substitute five players after season restarts

Published

on

Managers will be able to make up to five substitutions for the remainder of the 2019-’20 Premier League season after clubs agreed to the temporary rule change at a meeting on Thursday.

Fifa proposed the solution last month to “protect player welfare” with a large number of matches packed into a few weeks to clear the backlog of a three-month layoff due to the coronavirus pandemic.

MORE READING!  Mayweather offers to cover funeral costs for George Floyd

Premier League clubs also agreed to increase the number of substitutes available for selection from seven to nine for the remainder of the season.

“For the remainder of the 2019/20 season, the number of substitutes that can be used during a match will increase from three to five players,” the Premier League said in a statement.

“Shareholders also approved for clubs to increase the maximum number of substitute players on the bench from seven to nine for the rest of the 2019/20 season.”

To avoid too many stoppages, each team will still only have three opportunities to make changes as well as at half-time.

MORE READING!  Ronaldo snubs C. Ronaldo names Messi as number one

The Premier League will resume with two matches on June 17 as Manchester City host Arsenal and Sheffield United travel to Aston Villa.

The remaining nine full rounds of fixtures are then expected to be completed in just five weeks.

Continue Reading

Sports

Tax fraud: Atletico’s Diego Costa sentenced to six months in prison

Published

on

Diego Costa

Atletico Madrid striker, Diego Costa, has been sentenced to 6 months in prison after he admitted defrauding the tax authorities in Spain.

According to Spanish newspaper, El Mundo, Costa pleaded guilty to a tax offence amounting to €1.1million.

The former Chelsea star was accused of defrauding the treasury of more than £900,000 by not declaring payments of more than €5.15m (£4.63m) after his move to Chelsea in 2014.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Kwara records 23 new cases

The Spanish treasury denounced the 31-year-old for defrauding the authorities regarding €1m (£890,000) in image rights.

The tax agency added another fiscal crime to Costa before withdrawing and halving the fine.

Costa has now agreed to pay €36,000 fine to avoid any jail time.

Continue Reading

Sports

Osimhen wins player of the year award

Published

on

Osimhen

Nigerian striker Victor Osimhen has added an award to his name after being voted as the Player of The Year at his French club Lille.

Nigerian international and top striker for French club, Lille has won the player of the year award from his club.

Osimhen’s emergence as Lille’s best player in the truncated 2019-20 season is not surprising for many going by the spectacular displays of the 21-year old in what is just his maiden campaign in Ligue 1.

Among other feats; Osimhen had scored 18 goals and provided eight assists in all competitions for the French Ligue 1 side, before the outbreak of the Coronavirus pandemic disrupted the season.

MORE READING!  Ronaldo snubs C. Ronaldo names Messi as number one

It is these breathtaking performances that have seen Osimhen be linked with a possible transfer to several top clubs across Europe.

On the list of potential suitors for Osimhen are Napoli, Liverpool and Chelsea who are all said to be willing to pay heavily to lure the striker away from Lille.

Since his record-breaking performance at the 2015 U-17 World Cup, where he scored 10 goals -the most by any player in a single tournament- Osimhen has continued to shoot, despite having a torrid time at Wolfsburg where he was denied enough playing time.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: FG discharges Saudi Arabia returnees

The same way Osimhen has been the toast of fans at his club, he has also been tipped for greatness with the Nigeria national team, the Super Eagles. Already, some have identified Osimhen as the next Rashidi Yekini.

On 14 August 2019, the coach of the Nigerian National Team, Gernot Rohr, extended an invitation to Osimhen for a friendly against Ukraine that was played on September 10, 2019, in Dnipro Arena, Ukraine, which ended in a 2–2 draw.

He was also included in the Super Eagles team to face Brazil in a friendly match in Singapore on 13 October 2019 and also helped Nigeria to win bronze at the 2019 African Cup of Nations in Egypt.

MORE READING!  Mayweather offers to cover funeral costs for George Floyd

Before Osimhen’s emergence as the player of the year at Lille, another Nigerian, Simon Moses, had also been crowned Player of the Year, this time by Nantes.

Both Osimhen and Simon have been nominated for the African French Player of The Year.

Continue Reading




Trending