Connect with us

Crime

Customs repatriate 160 illegal immigrants

Published

The Joint Border Patrol of the Nigeria Customs in the North Central zone has said that it has repatriated 160 illegal immigrants back to their country.

The Coordinator of the Zone comprising of four States, Kwara, Kogi, Niger and Benue, Comptroller Garba Mohammed who disclosed this while speaking with journalists in Ilorin on Thursday said that the patrol team had also seized 1,437 bags of 50 kg Rice concealed in bags of Onions, Maize, Millet, Beans and Guinea Corn.

The rice value according to the Coordinator was N24,429,000 and were seized around Jebba, Mokwa, Alapa, Okuta and Kotangora axis of the sector.

MORE READING!  Ex-banker, civil servants in court for alleged payroll fraud

Other contraband goods seized by the patrol included 25 units of vehicles of various types, 494 tins of Tomato, 18 bales of Second-hand clothing, 15 bags of Second-hand shoes all valued at N98,318,760.00.

Garba said:

“It is worthy of note that since my assumption of duty here in August last year, we have recorded 151 seizures consisting of 134 used vehicles, 14,176 bags of rice equivalent of 15 trailer load, 303,609 litres of Petroleum product, 6,617 litres of AGO, 362 bales of Textile materials, 11 illicit weapons and 129 motorcycles used in conveying smuggled goods all valued at N802,542,540.00.”

“During the period under review, 23 suspects in connection to smuggling were arrested and 160 illegal immigrants were repatriated.”

While he said that Customs would continue to perform it functions to improve the economy of the country, Garba warned economic saboteurs of tough time adding:

“We want to reiterate to all economic saboteurs and their accomplices that the Joint border operation drill sector 3 will continue to emplace efforts to ensure that any items found to be prohibited will be seized and offenders will be sanctioned accordingly.”

He said that the commitment of the Joint border operation drill sector patrol remained unshaken as it was committed to ensure that smuggling was reduced to the barest minimum so that the aim of the closure of the country’s border was achieved.

MORE READING!  LAWMA arrests 13 cart pushers

Garba said, “In order to prevent the spread of Coronavirus, COVID-19 in the country, we are committed to enforce the total closure of border announced by the Federal government.”

He called on members of the public to embrace legitimate means of livelihood by avoiding smuggling and take advantage of the Federal government’s efforts of transforming the agricultural sector especially in the area of rice production and effort towards the industrialization of the economy.

MORE READING!  Cameroonian arrested with five Nigerian passports
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Casual workers docked over alleged N20,000 theft

Published

on

Two labourers, Jarvishima Azuua and Wisdom Peter, who allegedly stole N20,000 and four cell phones, were on Tuesday docked at a Lugbe Grade 1 Area Court, Abuja.

Both defendants, who reside at Lugbe Airport Road, Abuja, are facing a three-count charge of joint act, criminal trespass and theft.

The offences contravened the provisions of Sections 79, 348 and 288 of the Penal Code.

MORE READING!  Ex-banker, civil servants in court for alleged payroll fraud

The Prosecutor, Ijeoma Ukagha, told the court that the matter was reported at the Lugbe Police Station, Abuja, on July 24 by the trio of Frank Ezeudeze, Chisom Nwaokike and Chukwuemeka Nwasanyi, all of Gzidu Road, Moon & Star Hotel, Abuja.

Ukagha said that the defendants and one Gadafi, surname unknown and now at large, criminally trespassed into the complainant’s hotel without their consent.

MORE READING!  Dutch Police bust biggest cocaine lab, arrest 17 suspects

She said that the defendants stole N20,000 and four cell phones, all valued at N289, 000.

The prosecutor said that during police investigation, the four cell phones, stolen from the hotel, were recovered from the defendants.

The defendants, however, denied committing the offences.

The Judge, Mr Abubakar Sadiq, granted them bail of N10,000 and a surety each in like sum.

MORE READING!  Casual workers docked over alleged N20,000 theft

Sadiq said that the sureties must have reasonable means of livelihood and reside within the court’s jurisdiction, which must be verified by the police orderly.

He adjourned the case until Aug. 24 for hearing.

Continue Reading

Crime

DSS arrests man, 42, for impersonating Buhari’s Chief of Staff

Published

on

Mohammed Prince Momoh

The Department of State Services (DSS) has arrested a 42-year-old man, Mohammed Prince Momoh, for posing as an aide to the Chief of Staff to the President, Ibrahim Gambari, to defraud one Benson Agiobu of $50, 000.

Momoh attempted to defraud Aniogu, claiming he represented Gambari and needed the said amount to secure an appointment for him as a Special Adviser to the President on Oil and Gas.

Public Relations Officer, DSS National Headquarters, Abuja, Dr Peter Afunanya, who paraded the suspect, an indigene of Kogi State, on Tuesday, said their investigations revealed that Momoh and his group never acted on behalf of or for the Chief of Staff.

MORE READING!  DSS arrests man, 42, for impersonating Buhari’s Chief of Staff

Afunanya said the suspect had approached Aniogu, from Bayelsa State, telling him he was a security aide attached to Gambari. Momoh had claimed that $25, 000 would be for the Chief of Staff while the remaining would be for the “boys” who would help secure the appointment.

The DSS Spokesman said Momoh had worked briefly some time ago as an aide to someone in the Presidential Villa and had some knowledge of the workings of the environment.

Momoh and his team had visited Aniogu in his house in Abuja to collect the money.

Afunanya said Aniogu suspected they were fraudulent and alerted authorities leading to a sting operation that was conducted by the Service, where Momoh was nabbed.

MORE READING!  Dutch Police bust biggest cocaine lab, arrest 17 suspects

Afunanya said Momoh would face the full weight of the law.

The DSS Spokesman advised that people who use social media should mind the kind of information they drop in their space, as there are always criminal elements harvesting information to use and defraud unsuspecting people.

He called on Nigerians to be cautious and avoid being greedy and desperate so as not to fall victim to fraudsters.

“They should be wary and ask questions when and where they need to. For every suspicion of crime please relate to appropriate security agencies and pass information timely to them so they needful can be done,” he said.

He said Nigerians should be aware such syndicates exist, adding that the Service would continue to disrupt their activities and continue to do all that is needful within the law to ensure that no law-abiding citizen is taken advantage of by criminal elements.

“We reassure Nigerians that the DSS as a responsible, foremost, domestic intelligence agency in Nigeria would continue to perform its duties without any fear or favour,” he said.

Momoh, who said he is married with two children, admitted to the crime.

MORE READING!  Amotekun corps member, two others arrested over theft in Osun

He said he worked in the Villa between 2013 and 2014.

Continue Reading

Crime

EFCC arrests corps members, three, 29 others for alleged internet fraud

Published

on

Internet fraud

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Ibadan Zonal Office, on August 11, 2020, arrested 32 “Yahoo boys” for alleged involvement in internet fraud.

The suspects were apprehended during a raid on their hideout in Ogbomoso, Oyo State.

Officers of the EFCC swept on the location after diligent analysis of a series of intelligence gathered on their alleged criminal activities.

MORE READING!  Amotekun corps member, two others arrested over theft in Osun

Three of the suspects claimed to be serving members of the National Youth Service Corps ( NYSC), 19 were undergraduates of various universities across the country, while the remaining 10 laid claims to sundry vocations.

The suspects are Oyebamiji Francis; Aremo Jeremiah; Ogbonnaya Prosper John; Anuoluwapo Matthew; Oladele Victor; Mumuni Waliyullah; Olawoyin Abiodun; Okuwatoyin Henry; Arisekola Shina; Babarinde Solomon; Samson Gideon; Joshua Ola Adebayo; Ajayi Joseph Ajibola; Garba Mojeed, Olatunbosun Tobiloba and Azeez Ridwan.

MORE READING!  Cameroonian arrested with five Nigerian passports

Others are Ajala Timilehin; Adebolapo Bakare; Alaba Gideon; Ogunkeye Olumide; Ogunleke Tolu; Olapade Emmanuel; Adegoke Aanu Abiodun; Job Ayantoye; Oyebode Pelumi; Babayanju Toluwani; Oladele Ayobami; Omonaiye Abubakar; Sattong Baking; Abisoye Kehinde, Iwajomo Nathan and Aniyikaye Tope.

At the point of their arrest, 12 exotic cars, several phones, laptops and some incriminating documents were recovered from them.

MORE READING!  LAWMA arrests 13 cart pushers

The suspects were subjected to thorough screening by medical officials of the EFCC, in line with the COVID-19 prevention protocols.

The Commission reveals that they would be charged to court as soon as investigations are concluded.

Continue Reading




Trending