Connect with us

General

Dakolo versus Fatoyinbo: PFN declares investigation inconclusive

Published

The Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria [PFN] on Thursday said its committee had concluded sittings over the allegations of rape by the wife of popular artiste, Busola Dakolo, against the founder of the Commonwealth of Zion Assembly, Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo.

The PFN National Publicity Secretary, Bishop Emma Isong, said the committee spoke to the parties involved in the matter.

However, he said Fatoyinbo refused to honour invitations, despite efforts by the committee members and leadership of the Christian body.

He spoke during a briefing at Ikeja, Lagos.

He said,

“You will recall that at the beginning of this issue, many questions were asked as to what has the PFN done and what has been our reaction on this matter especially by journalists and well-meaning Nigerians. We appreciate that expectations were high and subsequently the national president of PFN, Dr Omobude, and our national leaders set up a high-powered fact-finding panel made up of men and women of integrity and wisdom.

“The panel, which met for more than a month, had several meetings and interfaced with several parties that were connected with this matter.

“Unfortunately, several attempts to meet Pastor Biodun of COZA church, who is one of the important parties in this matter, failed despite efforts by the fact-finding committee to get his attention or appearance.

“The PFN, however, appreciates the respect that Mrs Dakolo gave in her personal appearance, together with her husband, to state her side of the story.

“Arising from this, the PFN, unfortunately, wishes to announce its inability to come into a conclusion on this matter. We may make a further statement on a later date. But certainly, for now, Nigerians and well-meaning people are our witnesses that we have fulfilled scriptural, public and moral expectations as a reasonable and legal organisation.”

Asked efforts made to reach Fatoyinbo, the PFN leader said invitations were sent to the church and through Fatoyinbo’s proxies, which were received.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Man mourns as he loses girlfriend in Abuja

He said people also reached out to the senior pastor but he declined to show up.

Isong noted that the COZA pastor had solicited the intervention of the Christian body in the matter at the initial stage, expressing the disappointment of the PFN.

Isong emphasised that the body had concluded its intervention in the matter.

MORE READING!  I am battling a gang-up, says Bauchi governor

Fatoyinbo had been accused by Busola of raping her when she was 17.

In a recorded video interview, she had alleged that the sexual assault occurred twice and she was speaking up to help other females.

Fatoyinbo had denied the allegations and threatened a lawsuit.

Many Nigerians had called for an investigation into the matter as some protested at the COZA headquarters in Abuja.

MORE READING!  Body of ex-Edo Commissioner recovered 14 days after abduction

The police had promised to investigate the case as the wife of the president, Aisha Buhari, also demanded that whoever was in the wrong be brought to book.

Punch

General

Resident doctors threaten strike, issue 14-day ultimatum

Published

on

Resident doctors threaten to strike, issue FG 14-day ultimatum

Armstrong Bakam, Bauchi Nigeria Association of Resident Doctors has issued a 14-day ultimatum to the Federal Government to immediately implement all the agreements it had with the Association or it will embark on an indefinite strike.

The ultimatum was issued by the NARD in Bauchi on Saturday at the end of its 2020 Ordinary General Meeting with the theme: ‘Health Inequalities and Social Determinants of Health in Nigeria.

MORE READING!  Teni gifts Instagram comedian's mom N100k (video)

It also lamented the poor working condition of its members across the country.

The National President, Dr. Sokomba Aliyu, who read the communique at the end of the OGM, lamented that some of its members were intimidated, harassed and maltreated in Lagos, Kaduna, Plateau States and FCT in the cause of performing their duties.

The communique was read at the Multipurpose Hall of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Teaching Hospital (ATBUTH), Bauchi.

He faulted the sacking of 26 members at the Jos University Teaching Hospital, Plateau State in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.

MORE READING!  Plateau: Corps members who met in state set to wed

He also faulted the Kaduna State government for slashing the salaries of its members by 25 percent.

Aliyu said, “NARD demands immediate recall of the sacked resident doctors at Jos University Teaching Hospital and payment of their salaries.

“NARD demands immediate implementation of the revised hazard allowance, payment of COVID-19 inducement allowance. NARD condemns all illegal deductions in salaries of our members by some state governments and demands an immediate refund.”

“NARD calls on security agencies to stop the harassment and assault of doctors while carrying out their legitimate activities.“The association hereby issues a 14-day ultimatum to the government to meet her demands failure of which the association cannot guarantee industrial harmony.”

The National President said that the NARD also demands a supply of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and other consumables to all health facilities across the country.

MORE READING!  I am battling a gang-up, says Bauchi governor
Continue Reading

General

Europe urges Trump to reconsider decision to withdraw from WHO

Published

on

European leaders called on U.S. President Donald Trump on Saturday to rethink his decision to terminate the U.S.’ relationship with the World Health Organisation (WHO) in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

Trump announced the decision on Friday, arguing the UN agency has failed to respond to U.S. concerns about its handling of the virus, which originated in China.

A spokesperson said the WHO, the founders of which include the U.S., had no comment to make on Saturday.

MORE READING!  Four US policemen, who killed black man by kneeling on his neck, fired

The European Commission was more vocal. Commission President Ursula von der Leyen called on Trump to reconsider, saying only global cooperation and solidarity could help to combat the virus.

Global cooperation is needed rather than solo efforts, German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas told newspapers belonging to the Funke media group.

He and Development Minister Gerd Mueller both called Trump’s move the “wrong signal at the wrong time.”

MORE READING!  INEC to recruit 38,887 officials for Edo, Ondo gov polls

These concerns were echoed in Sweden, where a cabinet member said the move could lead to significantly more deaths.

“I think it’s very serious. It risks creating a situation where the WHO must cut down on operations that support poor countries instead of scaling them up,” Peter Eriksson, minister for international development cooperation, told Swedish broadcaster SVT.

Eriksson said he also feared that other countries might follow the U.S.’ decision. Last week, Trump said he would pull the plug on U.S. contributions to the WHO – which he said was between 400 million and 500 million dollars a year – if the organization did not make improvements within 30 days.

MORE READING!  I am battling a gang-up, says Bauchi governor

The U.S. leads the world in the number of COVID-19 deaths and Trump’s response to the pandemic has been widely criticized.

Continue Reading

General

I am battling a gang-up, says Bauchi governor

Published

on

Gov. Bala Mohammed of Bauchi state on Saturday said he was battling a gang-up by people he had worked with before clinching the governorship position.

Mohammed made the revelation in Bauchi during a chat with journalists as part of activities marking his first year anniversary in office.

”We are doing our best and we are not doing it to be praised; we are doing it because we have to do it so as to free resources.

“My commissioners are complaining but we have to make sacrifices because we are bogged down by a feeling of gratitude to God and the people of Bauchi for what they have done for me.

“I’m the most investigated and denigrated person but the people have faith in me. I’ve faced opposition; even now I’m suffering from a gang-up.

“A gang-up by even people that I have worked with to come to this level,” said Mohammed.

The governor further stressed that he had no ‘god-father’ and no liability on his head to service anybody.

MORE READING!  U.S. president to issue executive order on social media- Reports

Mohammed, who said he had no partisan consideration in discharging his duties, revealed that most of the projects embarked upon by his administration were kickstarted by N11 billion recovered by EFCC and handed over to his government.

Continue Reading




Trending