Connect with us

General

DAPCHI SCHOOLGIRLS! Wole Soyinka lambastes Buhari

Published

Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, on Thursday criticised President Muhammadu Buhari’s handling of killings by herdsmen in the country, as well as his response to the abduction of over 73 schoolgirls in Dapchi, Yobe State, last month.

The renowned writer also flayed the President for attending a wedding (Governor Abdullahi Ganduje daughter’s marriage to Governor Abiola Ajimobi’s son) in the North few days after the abduction of the schoolgirls, describing the President’s action as blasphemous.

Soyinka said Buhari’s disposition to the killings and abduction of the schoolgirls reminded him of former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s approach to the plight of victims of the 2002 bomb blast at the Ikeja Military Cantonment in Lagos.

MORE READING!  Botched £920 plastic surgery leaves woman with a ‘permanent frown’

Soyinka spoke in Lagos on Thursday at the maiden edition of Ripples Nigeria Dialogue, organised by Ripples Centre for Data and Investigative Journalism.

The dialogue was titled, ‘Rebuilding Trust in a Divided Nigeria,’ but Soyinka titled his keynote address, ‘From Myetti to Haiti, Notes from a Solidarity Visit.’

Soyinka said Buhari’s reaction was typical of the “presidential response” to crisis in Nigeria, from Obasanjo to former President Goodluck Jonathan, who waited for “nearly three weeks to accept that nearly 270 plus of our children had been abducted from Chibok village,” and “insisted that it was all a ploy by the opposition to discredit his government.”

He said he recalled that following the statement credited to Obasanjo on the scene of the Ikeja bomb blasts, he (Soyinka) called then President to protest and “chided him severely” but the response he got from Obasanjo was “Kampala tie niyen – that is your own Kampala,” which he said remained a riddle to him till date.

MORE READING!  Equipment failure caused two spills from Agip’s oilfields in Bayelsa – NOSDRA

Soyinka said,

“Whatever the origin of that expression (Kampala tie niyen), it nonetheless takes us back to the nation’s latest Kampala in Dapchi and here I must express how gratified I was by the reaction drawn by another and contrasting event that took place not far from Dapchi and where that presidential declaration ‘I am not obliged to be here’ would have been more appropriate.

“… They said, ‘Oh yes, that wedding was a needed therapy for the trauma undergone so recently by the abduction of those girls.’ Now, that’s what I call blasphemy. I’m not a religious person, but that is blasphemy.

“…I talk of the Cana wedding. There are so many formulas that could have been adopted to ensure that the couple still had their wedding without the accompanied exhibitionist lavishness so soon after a national calamity.”

The playwright recalled that after Jonathan finally accepted the reality of the Chibok schoolgirls’ abduction in 2014, his wife, Patience “proceeded to stage one of the most nauseating acts of incoherent, tuneless, meaningless and purposeless investigative” session.

MORE READING!  India: Sholay Aur Toofan actor, Kiran Kumar, tests positive for Coronavirus

General

Man allegedly rejected by Isolo General Hospital in Lagos over COVID-19 fears is dead

Published

on

A man allegedly rejected by the Isolo General Hospital in Lagos State over fears of being a COVID-19 patient has reportedly died.

WuzupNigeria reports that the deceased, identified simply as Joel, was refused treatment by the hospital.

Joel was said to have slumped on Sunday while playing football and was rushed to the hospital but he was allegedly refused treatment on the fear that he might be a coronavirus patient.

A family friend of the victim, identified simply as Amaka, who narrated the incident on Twitter, alleged that the nurses on duty claimed that they were busy and refused to attend to Joel.

She tweeted,

“The medical system failed my family friend today and I’ll never get over it.

“He was said to be playing football in the field this morning and slumped and stopped breathing, he was immediately rushed to the Isolo general hospital in other to get attended to fast, getting there, they refused to let him in because they said they don’t know if he has Coronavirus!

“His family members kept begging and begging because time was running and he wasn’t getting any better, he was still not breathing…The nurses still insisted on not attending to him, because according to them, they have their plates full. They had to return him to the car and resulted in prayers.

“In tears, his elder sister still went back in and requested to see any doctor on duty, after so much argument a doctor came out, heard the whole story from the nurses on duty and without taking a look at him in the car or bringing him in to check him out, the doctor then certified him dead and asked them to transfer him to the mortuary. His mother collapsed on the spot…This life is so unfair.

“Bro Joel like I will always call him, you will forever be missed, I have known you to be the calmest and humble person ever since I was a toddler, it was so unfair for you to pass on just like this, but God knows best. Keep sleeping on till we meet again.”

When contacted, the Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Dr Godwin Akhaboa, who stated that the facility was not in the habit of rejecting patients, said the victim was brought in dead.

MORE READING!  Eid-el-Fitr: Kaduna Electric promises improved power supply

“There are parameters to look at before certifying a patient dead and no doctor will say a patient is dead without checking those parameters. It’s never done; no nurse or doctor will do that. The patient had a cardiac arrest on a football field and he was brought in dead,” Akhaboa said.

Continue Reading

General

Palliative: Kano Govt denies destroying FG foodstuff

Published

on

The Kano State Government has dismissed as “mischievous” reports insinuating that food items donated to the state under the Federal Government palliative on COVID-19 had been destroyed.

Malam Muhammad Garba, the state’s Commissioner for Commissioner, Information, Youths, and Culture, in a statement on Tuesday in Kano, dismissed the report as “roguish” peddled by disgruntled elements.

The reports alleged that the grains were destroyed due to a lack of storage facilities.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the federal government had supplied over 100 trucks of grains, including millet, maize, rice, and sorghum for distribution to the poor to cushion the effect of the COVID-19 lockdown.

MORE READING!  Equipment failure caused two spills from Agip’s oilfields in Bayelsa – NOSDRA

However, speculations alleged that the grains kept in the open at the Kano State Agricultural Supply Company (KASCO), ere damaged by rain in the past few days.

Reacting to the rumor, Garba said that the state government had made proper arrangements to preserve the grain.

He noted that even before the food items were supplied, Kano had recorded its first rainfall, adding that proper arrangements were made to preserve it.

“I, therefore, urge the public to disregard the roguish which is being peddled by some disgruntled elements to discredit the effort of the government at all cost.

“We took into consideration the rainy season which has already set in and adopted measures to protect the grains from being destroyed by the prevailing hot weather occasioned by the scorching sun or rain by keeping them under the waterproof tarpaulin,’’ he said.

Garba explained that the food items were in the custody of the State Fundraising Committee on COVID-19, which was finalizing arrangements to begin distribution to the poor families in the state.

“We completed the first phase of the distribution of palliatives donated by corporate organizations and individuals to the deserving households in the 484 political wards in the 44 local government areas of the state.

“As soon as we are done with the arrangement, the second phase of distribution of food items sent by the federal government will commence,” he added.

The commissioner, however, commended the people of the state for their support and understanding in the prevailing challenges posed by the global pandemic

MORE READING!  United States bans flights from Brazil over coronavirus pandemic
Continue Reading

General

Zoho offers guidance on right software for non technology companies

Published

on

The technology company, Zoho Corporations, on Tuesday, offered guidance to non-technology companies on how to select software products to support remote and on-site working requirements in the face of COVID-19.

Mr. Andrew Bourne, Zoho’s Country Manager for the African region, said in a statement in Lagos that local businesses should make their operations digital and remote at a much faster pace as a result of the pandemic.

Bourne said that some of the considerations for a non-techie to select suitable software would include the bigger picture, prioritizing privacy, easy integration, and the right pricing.

According to him, working from home has become the de-facto way of operation for many, prompting businesses to take a hard look at whether their software solutions are standing up to their work-from-home needs.

”The sheer number of software solutions available for businesses, combined with rapid technological innovation, can make the choice extremely difficult.

”Although there is something to suit virtually every need, it is important for businesses to take time to ensure they choose solutions that not only fulfill those needs but also work together so that decision-makers have a cohesive and comprehensive picture of the business at all times,” Bourne said.

According to him, in selecting software, there is a need to consider the bigger picture by clearly defining business software needs, as well as prioritizing goals that the tools need to help business owners to achieve.

MORE READING!  England: British government eases Covid-19 measures

He said that the right software solutions would streamline operations and increase efficiency in a logical, easy-to-use way, and allow the user to focus on the work rather than the application.

The country manager said that as technology users were aware of basic online security, they should be demanding more of software solutions to ensure data privacy and security.

MORE READING!  Ooni celebrates Aregbesola at 63, describes him as epitome of loyalty

According to him, privacy factors, including data protection, file encryption, and cloud security, should be taken into consideration and discussed with the software providers to ensure a solution that guarantees privacy at the highest level.

Bourne said that software solutions should be integrated in a seamless way to improve productivity by speeding up the flow of information through departments.

MORE READING!  India: Sholay Aur Toofan actor, Kiran Kumar, tests positive for Coronavirus

He said that the best solution at the most competitive price would be the most desirable way to go, but said it would be important to ensure value for money, irrespective of the brand.

Continue Reading




Trending