Connect with us


Delta: Police uncover six rifles in Church, arrest pastor


The men of the Nigerian Police Force, Delta State Command have recovered six rifles from an uncompleted building on church premises in Asaba.

According to a report by The Punch, one Fidelix Nwansa, the resident pastor of the church, was also arrested.

Nwansa, who is in charge of the Christ Holy Church, was nabbed for alleged gunrunning on the pretext of providing security for churches and hotels in the area alongside vigilante groups.

MORE READING!  My ordeal a set-up, fulfilment of my fiancee's vision - man, 25, accused of raping 70-year-old woman

Confirming the incident, the state Commissioner of Police, Mr Hafiz Inuwa, told journalists on Thursday that the pastor’s arrest was made by his men two days earlier during a mop-up operation.

The CP stated:

“Some people from across the Niger have started or are bringing in vigilantes and criminals to Delta State in the name of providing security for churches and hotels, forgetting the fact that it is illegal to do that because a vigilante from another state cannot come and operate in this state.

“Secondly, they are carrying sophisticated firearms. There is every indication that once they bring these people, they are also engaged in criminality. So, we have recovered six pump action rifles.”

Inuwa added that his operatives also arrested the head of a vigilante group, simply identified as Freeman.

According to the police boss, the vigilante head, who is from Anambra State, the same as the cleric, was brought to Delta State for a security job.

MORE READING!  Nigeria Police begins recruitment of new constables

The CP said investigation led to the arrest of the resident pastor, who confessed that the recovered firearms belonged to the Anambra vigilante group.


Interpol arrests three Nigerians in Edo over suspected Covid-19 protective mask fraud



Operatives of the Nigeria Police Cybercrime Unit, INTERPOL National Central Bureau (NCB), Abuja have arrested three suspects.

The suspects are Samson Inegbenesun, Blessed Junior and Muhammed Zakari, all male and in their 30s.

According to a statement by the police spokesman, DCP Frank Mba on Sunday, July 12, the suspects were arrested for cyber-related offences including advance fee fraud, money laundering and romance scam.

MORE READING!  65-year-old landlady arrested for allegedly duping tenants with flooded apartment

He said the suspects were arrested in Uromi, their hometown in Edo state following investigations into suspected fraudulent online procurement and supply of COVID-19 protective mask, received through the INTERPOL NCB Wiesbaden, Germany.

“Investigations reveal that Samson Inegbenosun is an internet fraudster and a member of a Turkey-based online scamming syndicate. “He supplies foreign and local bank accounts to receive fraudulent funds and use the same as a conduit to other feeder accounts,” the statement revealed.

Mba said the police recovered a building apartment worth N20million from him, a Toyota RAV-4 2015 model worth N6.6million, and a Toyota Matrix 2002 model valued at N2million.

MORE READING!  FBI 'kidnapped' Hushpuppi from Dubai- Lawyer alleges

He said the second suspect, Blessed Junior, returned to Nigeria from Italy in February 2020 but maintains close contacts and illicit dealings with his Italian associates. “Investigations reveal that he has made over N120million from internet fraud and other cybercrime dealings.

“He also received the sum of 52,000 EUROs recently from his criminal associates in Italy as commission for his active involvement in an international cybercrime deal. “He also owns a filling station established with the proceeds of the crime,” DCP Mba said.

Continue Reading


Woman fakes blindness for 15 years, gets £1m in benefits but husband had no clue



A man claimed he had no idea his wife was pretending to be blind and wheelchair-bound when she scammed £1 million in benefits.

John Pomfrey, 60, said he was clueless to his wife Christina’s lies which have now landed her in prison.

On Monday, the 65-year-old grandmother, from Runcorn, Cheshire, was jailed for three years and eight months after she pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to multiple counts of fraud, false accounting and making or supplying articles for use in frauds.

She lied she was totally blind and wheelchair-bound, but surveillance by investigators showed her driving, going for a walk unaided while reading a newspaper and collecting her grandchildren from school.

Mr Pomfrey, who married Christina in 2005, told the Daily Mail:

“People think I must have known what she was up to and where all the money went, but the answer to both is I don’t have a clue.

“She has destroyed my life and I cannot forgive her. She is the craftiest woman I have ever known.”

Mr Pomfrey added she had lied to him she was a millionaire and owned seven newsagents in Liverpool.

MORE READING!  My ordeal a set-up, fulfilment of my fiancee's vision - man, 25, accused of raping 70-year-old woman

When confronted with the evidence by police, she said she was relieved to be finally caught and claimed she had given the money away to charity and those in need.

However, she also admitted she had spent cash on numerous holidays, cosmetic treatment and clothes.

Sentencing at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court, Judge Sophie McKone told her:

“You grossly exaggerated your disabilities in pretending you were completely blind and that your multiple sclerosis was of such severity that you required significant and costly care.

“This was money to which you were not entitled. Over 15 years, you stole £1 million from your fellow citizens. Money which would have gone to people who justly deserved it, money that could have gone to schools and hospitals.”

The court heard despite Pomfrey’s admission of guilt and remorse to investigators in December 2017, she continued her deceit while on bail.

MORE READING!  Woman fakes blindness for 15 years, gets £1m in benefits but husband had no clue

The defendant had been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and also suffers from the disassociative disorder, where she appears to adopt different personas to cope with past trauma, as a result of the abuse she suffered as a child.

Her daughter, Aimee Brown, 34, from Runcorn, received an 18-month jail term, suspended for two years after she laundered £80,000 of Pomfrey’s cash into her bank account and kept more than £70,000 for herself.

MORE READING!  65-year-old landlady arrested for allegedly duping tenants with flooded apartment

She was “hoodwinked” by her mother and had no knowledge of the extent of her lies, but had entered a guilty plea to money laundering because she did not act on her suspicions, the court heard.

The court was also told the full amount of £1,010,090 fraudulently claimed in various benefits had been spent by Pomfrey.

Continue Reading


My ordeal a set-up, fulfilment of my fiancee’s vision – man, 25, accused of raping 70-year-old woman



Bankole Wasiu
Bankole Wasiu

A 25-year-old caterpillar driver, Bankole Wasiu, accused of raping his landlady’s friend in her sleep, has denied the allegations.

Wasiu was said to have raped the 70-year-old woman on 2 June 2020 after sneaking into her apartment. Her screams were said to have attracted a neighbour, Ayoola Oluwasegun, who came to the woman’s rescue and hit the suspect on the back with a stick, forcing him to let go of the victim.

In his attempt to flee the scene of the crime, Wasiu was said to have left behind his cap, clothes and torchlight. However, despite his belongings being found at the scene, the suspect claimed he was being set up by some unknown individuals.

According to him, after he was arrested at his workplace on 3 June 2020, the vigilance members who effected his arrest showed him the items he purportedly left at the scene of the crime, saying they would be used as exhibits.

He claimed the events might be a fulfilment of a vision his fiancee had about him.

Wasiu said,

I do not know how they got my cap, clothes and torchlight, which they showed to me as things that would be used as exhibits. I told the officers of the vigilance group that I wore the clothes to work on the previous day and spread them outside to dry because I had been in the rain.

I also identified the torchlight as mine but what happened was that I drank two bottles of beer the night before I was arrested. I don’t know why I did not open my door, which made me sit on a mattress that was kept in one corner outside my apartment. At that time, some kids came to meet me and we played together. In fact, we drank the beer together. I don’t know what happened after that until I woke up around 10pm. I left the house immediately because my fiancée had warned me to stay away from the house. Part of the prophecy she revealed to me was that some people were planning to implicate me.

Wasiu also denied ever being into the victim’s apartment but acknowledged knowing her and, at times, buying her alcoholic beverages.

MORE READING!  Court orders man to sweep premises for three hours for stealing food

He explained,

I was on a bench in the workplace on June 3, preparing for work when some men arrived. My workshop is around Abule, along Robiyan, in Abule Ijoko, Agbado area, Ogun State. One of them sat on my right and the other sat on my left. They grabbed my trousers and said they were arresting me for committing a crime. I asked for their identities and they said they were vigilantes. They handcuffed me and forced me to follow them to their office. When we got to their office, they told me to confess to the crime I committed overnight. I was shocked; I told them I didn’t commit any offence overnight. After saying that, they started beating me with their sticks to the extent that my clothes got torn.

The old woman they alleged that I raped used to visit my landlady where I stay. At times, she would ask me to buy her food and I would oblige her. At times, she would ask me to buy her alcohol and I usually would. I didn’t know anything about this until those vigilantes came to arrest me. They said I should confess that I raped the old woman, which I never did. They brought the woman to their office and asked me to identify her. I never claimed that I did not know her. I told the vigilantes that I knew the woman through my landlady.

The next question they asked me was, what took me to the old woman’s room at midnight? I was surprised because I did not understand what they were talking about. I told them I had not slept in my apartment for some time because of a prophecy my fiancée revealed to me. She said she dreamt I would be framed for something I didn’t do. I was advised to stay away from home for some time and I did.

The old woman’s house is not far from my apartment. I used to pass the woman’s house and almost everybody in the area knows me. When they invited the woman to their (vigilance group’s) office, she reluctantly said I was the one who raped her. I denied the allegation immediately.

I have never been inside the woman’s apartment since I started living in that area. I would only pass by her house whenever I went work or somewhere else. I have never raped anybody in my life since I was born. I swear on the Holy Qur’an; I never raped that woman. I swear to God. I only know the woman through my landlady; she used to visit my landlady. The woman used to ask me to buy alcohol for her and, sometimes, I would give her money instead. Aside from my landlady, there is another place the woman mostly used to sit. There, a woman sells alcohol. Whenever I saw her around there, she would ask me to buy her alcohol, and I always did.

Nobody hit me with a stick until I got to the vigilantes’ office. They were torturing me anyhow. I don’t know anything about this case; I was implicated. I would never have sex with a 70-year-old woman.

I have never had a love affair with an old woman or a housewife; everyone in my house can testify to the fact that I never brought anyone who falls under the two categories to my apartment. Even my fiancée can testify to it.

Asked if he wanted to use the woman for money rituals, he said:

I have been hearing that since I was arrested. Some people have even asked if I am an Internet fraudster and I have been telling them that I’m not a Yahoo boy (Internet fraudster) and there is nothing that would make me rape such an old woman. The vigilantes did not allow me to express myself; they were just beating me and asking me to confess I committed a crime I did not commit. I was eventually transferred to a police station in the area. While they were interrogating me, some of the policewomen told their colleagues that I could not have raped such an old woman and that if I had committed the offence, the woman would have been dead.

That was the reason why the divisional police officer transferred the case to another police division in Ayinla. On our way to the police station, the vigilance officer that claimed to have hit me in the back with a stick warned the woman not to change her statement whenever anybody asked her what happened. The woman had already told the vigilantes and one of my neighbours whose room was next to mine that I did not rape her but they would not listen.

Still denying the allegation, the caterpillar driver said,

I did not rape the woman. In fact, the police at Ayinla Division have requested that the woman should bring a medical report to ascertain if it was rape or not, but she refused to go for that.

She gave an excuse when the police officers at the Police Headquarters, Eleweran, Abeokuta requested a doctor’s report. The woman did not allow anybody to test her even after we got to this place. The woman and her family members have said they are not interested in the case again but the police have refused (to let me go). They asked for my family members too and I told them that my father resides in Kogi State and I do not have any family member in Lagos. After interrogations, the police called my father on the phone to explain the situation to him but he told them I could not commit such an offence.


MORE READING!  Bagudu tasks security on fishing out killers of district head in Kebbi
Continue Reading