Connect with us

News

Desperation for male child leaves India with 21 million ‘unwanted’ girls

Published

The desire of Indian parents for sons has created an estimated 21 million “unwanted” girls because couples keep having children until they produce a boy, the government said Monday.

Indian parents have historically wanted sons, who are seen as breadwinners and family heirs. Girls are often viewed as a financial burden in a country where the tradition of giving a marriage dowry persists.

MORE READING!  Nigerian businessman, accused of theft, beaten to death in India [Video]

Even though sex selection is against the law, illegal gender-based abortions have been blamed for a sex ratio of 940 females for every 1,000 males in the last census.

But many couples continued having children until they produced their desired number of sons, the government said in its annual economic survey report.

“Families where a son is born are more likely to stop having children than families where a girl is born. This is suggestive of parents employing ‘stopping rules’ -– having children till a son is born and stopping thereafter,” it said.

MORE READING!  VSF supports Edo IDPs with COVID-19 palliatives

Couples, particularly women, in India face immense pressure to produce male children and many rural families do not send girls to school, marrying them off young.

But the report said India’s preference for sons appeared “inoculated to development”, with even wealthier families not immune.

Illegal sex selection and gender-based abortions remain rampant across social and economic groups in the country, according to several studies.

MORE READING!  Expect delays, long hours of checks, re-checks, FAAN warns ahead of airports reopening

A 2011 study in the British medical journal The Lancet found that up to 12 million girls had been aborted in the last three decades in India.

(AFP)

News

Buhari has only plunged Nigeria into darkness, death and destruction, Fani-Kayode says

Published

on

Buhari has only plunged Nigeria into darkness, death and destruction, Fani-Kayode says

Former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode, a staunch critic of the President Buhari-led administration has said that the five years of President Muhammadu Buhari was “disastrous.”

Femi Fani-Kayode disagreed with Special Adviser to Buhari on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, whose weekly column argued the President’s emergence, saved the nation from collapse in 2015.

Fani-Kayode via his Twitter handle had argued that the emergence of Buhari in 2015 annihilated Nigeria and plunged her into darkness, death, and destruction.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: NANNM orders JUTH nurses to stay at home over negligence

He added that the president came to steal, kill and destroy, pointing out that for the last 5 disastrous years that is all he has done.

READ ALSO: 2ND term: Buhari to mark ‘low-key’ anniversary, Presidency reveals

He wrote;

”Buhari’s emergence in 2015 saved Nigeria’s collapse”- @FemAdesina

. Not so my friend! The emergence of Buhari in 2015 annihilated Nigeria & plunged her into darkness, death & destruction. He came to steal, kill & destroy & for the last 5 disastrous years that is all he has done.”

 

MORE READING!  Nigerian businessman, accused of theft, beaten to death in India [Video]

See Tweet below;

 

Continue Reading

News

2ND term: Buhari to mark ‘low-key’ anniversary, Presidency reveals

Published

on

2ND Term: Buhari to mark ‘low-key’ anniversary, Presidency reveals

The Presidency has said that the first anniversary of the second term of President Muhammadu Buhari will be celebrated in a low-key manner.

This was disclosed in a statement posted by Buhari’s spokesman, Garba Shehu on his official Facebook page.

Shehu, who did not give reasons for the decision, however, said the achievements of the current administration will be reeled out via digital platforms.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: 254 dead as Nigeria’s COVID-19 cases rise to 8,733

He urged Nigerians to visit presidential handles to read about some of Buhari’s achievements since assuming power in 2015.

According to Shehu: “The First Anniversary anniversary of the Muhammadu Buhari government’s second term will be marked low-keyed.

READ ALSO: Buhari’s Executive Orders are aimed at complementing existing legislations – Malami

“Narratives of the government’s achievements over the past five years which normally would have been showcased by ministers and the party will go digital.

“The last five years have been full of historic achievements. Please go to the Presidential handles and read how the decades-long wishes of the Nigerian people are being met.

“‪Thank you Nigerians for entrusting the country’s government in the hands of President Muhammadu Buhari.‬”

Buhari’s Senior Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina had yesterday reeled out some of the president’s achievements since assuming power in 2015.

MORE READING!  Military condoning torture, unlawful detention, sexual abuse of children escaping Boko Haram in Northeast 
Continue Reading

health

FG to use hotels, schools as quarantine, isolation centres

Published

on

Covid-19: Prepare for the worst- FG tells Nigerians

The Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, said the Federal Government would require hotels and school dormitories as quarantine and isolation centres because of a shortage of hospital beds.

The minister noted that there were four levels of COVID-19 patients ranging from those on quarantine with zero or mild symptoms to those that would need to be in the intensive care unit.

The minister said,

“We have sadly recorded 254 deaths, most of them are persons associated with other ailments, confirming the general observation that risks are higher for those with illnesses such as hypertension, diabetes and non-communicable diseases.

“We need to continue increasing bed capacity to match the probable number of patients, so that we do not experience horrific scenes of bed space shortages seen in some European hospitals.

“In event of overflow, we can require hotels and school dormitories to be prepared for level 1 which is quarantine, and level 2, is isolation of COVID-19 positive with zero or mild symptoms, to free hospital beds to be dedicated to level 3 which are moderate to severe cases and level 4 which is for the high dependency and the intensive care unit.

“I, therefore, call on activists and philanthropists to work with state governments to scale up non-pharmaceutical measures and beef up infrastructural assets for isolation and treatment in their states.”

Ehanire said Nigeria would review its participation in the World Health Organisation solidarity trial. He also stated that proposals for trial of local remedies for COVID-19 had been sent to the relevant research and testing agencies for scientific evaluation.

MORE READING!  COVID-19 restrictions: FCTA shuts bars, arrests violators

He stated,

“The Madagascar herbs have been received at the Ministry of Health, and were found to consist of two varieties; one labelled to be for prevention and the other for treatment. Samples have been given to three agencies of the Ministry of Health and also to the Ministry of Science and Technology.

“These are normal processes for new preparations to be approved for use in Nigeria, and include toxicological and efficacy tests and clinical trials. Government will investigate all genuine efforts to find homegrown solutions to the pandemic.”

The minister said Madagascar’s drugs had been sent to NAFDAC, National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development, and the Nigerian Institute of Medical Research.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: NANNM orders JUTH nurses to stay at home over negligence
Continue Reading




Trending