Connect with us

General

Disagreement erupts over choice of Ajimobi’s final resting place one day to burial

Published

Abiola Ajimobi

Facts emerged on Saturday that a lingering cold war between the family of the former Governor of Oyo Sate, Senator Abiola Ajimobi and the Oyo State Government was largely responsible for the delay in his burial.

The late Ajimobi died in a Lagos hospital on Thursday after some complications arising from multiple organ failures.

According to Islamic injunction, the former governor was supposed to have been buried immediately or the next day after his demise.

However, it was gathered, on Saturday, that the late Acting Chairman of the All Progressives Congress was not buried three days after his death because conclusion were yet to be reached on his final resting place.

A reliable sources close to the family alleged that the burial had been delayed due to some impediments by the state government to the burial plans by the family.

Speaking in strict confidence with our correspondent, the source said, “The family of the late Acting Chairman of the All Progressives Congress had made plans for the burial the following day after the death of their patriarch. They had got in touch with the state government for necessary burial approvals; they were however rebuffed.

MORE READING!  Saudi coalition destroys drones, missiles of Yemeni rebels

The government official that the family got in touch with said they could not take action on the matter without approval from the governor, Seyi Makinde. The official also informed us that it has been difficult to pin down the governor for the approval.”

The source also disclosed that when the family eventually informed the governor of the burial plans in line with the laws of the land, “Makinde completely refused to oblige the family on their preferred choice of their father’s burial ground.

“Furthermore, it must also be said that Governor Makinde’s refusal comes after repeated pleas from top government officials and statesmen from federal and legislative arms of government.”

The source further claimed that the governor had not called any member of the family either by phone nor made physical contact.

He said, “Imagine that since this man died, a former governor of the state that served two terms, that achieved so much for the state, Governor Makinde is yet to even call the wife nor any member of the family. That is quite unfortunate. Even if you have issues with him, he is gone now, you should drop that as a mark of respect for the deceased.

MORE READING!  Men attend 'school for husbands' in Burkina Faso

However, in a telephone interview with our correspondent on Saturday, Mr Taiwo Ad is a, Chief Press Secretary to Governor Seyi Makinde, described the allegation as grossly mischievous, saying, the Ajimobi family was trying to make on flimsy to score cheap points.

Adisa explained that the state government did the needful at ensuring a smooth running of the burial program me. According to him, initially, the family had indicated plan to bury the body at his Oluyole Estate residence but later said he would be buried at Ole Ado.

He disclosed that the family later changed its mind and said that they would want him to be buried on the land on which there is litigation between the state government and the former senator.

Adisa said, “We don’t want the issue to become controversial. We have been seeing all the allegations going around. Why would the governor be blamed for delaying the burial arrangements? Why would the governor say they should not bury their dead?

“Why would the man die and they would say it is at the place that is under controversy that they would bury him? Why is it that it is that place that they want to bury him? Is it the state government that said they should take the matter to court? Why would they bury someone at a place that has not been confirmed as his own?

“The government has already gazetted that the property is not his own. Why would they begin to make overture to the government that it is at the place that they want to bury him?

“Governor Makinde gave them waiver r bury him at Oluyole. It is against the law that the dead be buried in Government Reserved Area in Oyo State but they were given waiver based on the claim that former Governor Lam Adesina had given a waiver in the past to someone. The governor gave the permit in Oluyole and now they are changing the venue.”

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Appeal court sets aside judgement restraining Oyo from dissolving council chairmen

 

NAN

General

Six corps members to repeat service year

Published

on

The National Youth Service Corps coordinator in Kano, Hajiya Aisha Mohammad says six corps members would repeat the service year, while sixteen have an extension of the service year due to various offenses they committed.

Hajiya Aisha Mohammad stated this during the presentation of certificates to the stream two batch two corps members who have completed the service year, held at federal Secretariat Kano.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Doctors at Ogun isolation centre join strike

She said a total of two thousand six hundred and seventy-seven corps members successfully completed the service year in Kano.

The coordinator maintained that no COVID-19 case was recorded among the corps members in Kano.

The presentation of the certificates was conducted under strict adherence to COVID 19 protocols.

Tata Mohammad noted that NYSC had already made all the necessary arrangements for ensuring the safe returns of the corps members to their respective destinations.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Avoid visiting hospitals, NMA advises
Continue Reading

General

Buhari warns those running NDDC affairs to take caution

Published

on

ministers-designate

Apparently piqued by recent dramas spinning out of the administration and investigations of activities within the Niger Delta Development Commission’s (NDDC) President, Major General (retd.) Muhmmadu Buhari has called for caution.

It would be recalled that recent interactions among officials of the NDDC, the Ministry of Niger Delta Affairs, as well as the way they had related with the National Assembly, had made screaming negative news headlines in the last few days.

However, in his first public reaction to the NDDC saga, including revelations and relations with the National, President Buhari directed that activities be better coordinated among security and investigating agencies with the National Assembly.

MORE READING!  Nigerian man in search of a companion for his 60-year-old mom

According to a statement issued by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, the President said the need for the call for caution became necessary to ensure that the administration’s effort to bring sanity, transparency and accountability to the management of the large amount of resources dedicated to development of the Niger Delta sub-region is not derailed.

In his reaction to the unfolding drama, which include attacks and counter attacks between and around persons, institutions, and the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), President Buhari expressed his strong determination to get to the root of the problem undermining the development of the Niger Delta and its peoples in spite of enormous national resources voted year after year for this singular purpose.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Avoid visiting hospitals, NMA advises

According to the directive, auditing firms and investigative agencies working in collaboration with National Assembly Committees to resolve the challenges in the NDDC must initiate actions in a time-bound manner and duly inform the Presidency of the actions being taken.

The President also directed timely sharing of information and knowledge in a way to speedily assist the administration to diagnose what had gone wrong in the past and what needs to be done to make corrections in order to return the NDDC to its original mandate of making life better for people in Niger Delta.

MORE READING!  Saudi coalition destroys drones, missiles of Yemeni rebels

President Buhari said the administration wants to bring about “rapid, even and sustainable development to the region.”

The President gave firm assurance that his administration would put in place a transparent and accountable governance framework, not only in the NDDC but in all other institutions of government.

 

 

The Nation

Continue Reading

General

Two men bags six months each for cheating, negligence in FCT

Published

on

The Presiding Officer, Mr. Suleiman Mohammed, who tried and found the suspects guilty, however, gave them an option to pay N10, 000 each, as fine.

He noted that the sentence would serve as a deterrent to others, who might be in the act or had the intention to break the law.

MORE READING!  Saudi coalition destroys drones, missiles of Yemeni rebels

The convicts, who are both residents of Bwari Town, were found guilty of a three-count charge of criminal breach of trust, cheating, and negligence.

They pleaded guilty to the charge.

Earlier, the Prosecutor, Mrs. Idowu Ojo, had told the court that the convicts were reported at the Bwari Police Station on June 17, by one Abdulrasheed Zaradin of opposite Polaris Bank, Bwari.

MORE READING!  FRSC tasks transport unions on compliance with COVID-19 protocols

She said that the complainant told the court that on the same date, the convicts conspired to deceive him, collected his Bajaj motorcycle under the pretext of using it for the trip to Dei-dei and return the motorcycle to him.

She stated that the convicts, however, handed over the said motorcycle to unknown persons, who were yet to be found.

MORE READING!  Men attend 'school for husbands' in Burkina Faso

She said that the act contravened Sections 312, 322, and 196 of the Penal Code.

Continue Reading




Trending