Connect with us

General

Dissolve my marriage or I commit suicide, woman threatens court

Published

Court

An Idi-Ogungun Customary Court in Agodi, Ibadan, on Tuesday, dissolved a five-year-old marriage over battery and lack of care by the man.

The President of the court, Mr Mukaila Balogun, held that evidence before the court proved that Mr Lasisi Mukaila battered his wife, Kafila, who filed for divorce and threatened to kill herself if the court would reject her request.

Balogun said that the court did not derive pleasure in dissolving marriages ”but cannot fold its arms and allow ugly incidents involving lives to happen”.

MORE READING!  George Floyd: Wife of accused cop files for divorce

He regretted that domestic violence had resulted in the loss of lives, saying that some of the lives would have been saved if the marriages were dissolved when the need arose.

”Though the defendant pleaded with the court not to dissolve the marriage, the court is handicapped to uphold the prayer due to threat from the plaintiff that she would kill herself if the court refuses her divorce request.

”The testimony of the plaintiff has shown that she was no longer interested in the union due to the unbearable ill-treatment and lack of care from the defendant.

”The court, therefore, dissolves the marriage. The only child of the marriage should be in the custody of the plaintiff.

”The defendant should pay N4,000 as monthly allowance for the upkeep of the child; both parties should abstain from trouble,” Balogun said.

Earlier, Kafila told the court that Lasisi was in the habit of beating her, adding that he was not concerned about her welfare and that of their child.

MORE READING!  See list of Nigerian airports to reopen in ‘few days’

She said that she fainted in September 2018 when Lasisi beat her.

The petitioner threatened to kill herself if the court would not dissolve the marriage, saying that she was fed up.

Responding, Lasisi confessed to beating his wife but promised to change.

He prayed the court not to dissolve the marriage.

MORE READING!  Air Peace evacuates 301 Chinese out of Nigeria

(NAN)

General

65-year-old customs boss, Hameed Ali, takes new wife (Photos)

Published

on

The Comptroller General of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), Col. Hameed Ali (Rtd) over the weekend got married to a new bride, Hajiya Zainab Abdullahi in a wedding ceremony devoid of fanfare because of the ravage of the COVID-19 pandemic in the country.

Before being appointed as Comptroller General of NCS by President Muhammadu Buhari, Ali, 65 years of age had previously served as military administrator of Kaduna State from 1996 to 1998.

MORE READING!  Body of ex-Edo Commissioner recovered 14 days after abduction

Hameed Ali’s first wife, Hajiya Hadiza Jummai Ali died in Abuja on October 29th, 2018 at the age of 53 years old.

Hajiya Ali who was the first lady of Kaduna State when her husband served as a military administrator of the state from 1996 to 1998, left behind her husband, Hameed Ali and four children.

MORE READING!  Air Peace evacuates 301 Chinese out of Nigeria

Born 15 January 1955, the current Customs CG previously served as Military Governor of Kaduna State from 1996 to 1998. After retirement, he became secretary of the Arewa Consultative Forum – a political and cultural association of leaders in Northern Nigeria.

Continue Reading

General

Bayelsa confirms first COVID-19 death

Published

on

The Bayelsa State Government has confirmed the death of a Coronavirus patient from complications linked to the disease.

The Director of Public Health in the state’s ministry of health and member of the state’s COVID-19 task force committee, Dr Jones Stowe who confirmed the death of the patient said the deceased is one of the two military personnel who was among the new cases announced in the state a few days ago.

MORE READING!  BRT buses: Lagos approves increase in passenger carriage 

Daily Trust reported that the deceased died after suffering from Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) and other related complications days after testing positive for Coronavirus.

Bayelsa state has so far recorded 12 confirmed cases of Coronavirus.

Continue Reading

General

COVID-19: Monarch seeks lockdown extension

Published

on

Imo: Okada rider crushed while answering phone call

The Chairman of the Imo State Council of Traditional Rulers told the Federal Government on Sunday to extend the current lockdown as the total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Nigeria nears the 10,000 mark.

Eze Samuel Ohiri made the appeal in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja, saying the lockdown extension was necessary to avert the rapid spread of the deadly virus in rural communities.

Nigeria has currently recorded 9,855 confirmed cases of the virus, 553 of which were recorded in the past 24 hours.

Two hundred and seventy-five deaths have also been recorded with 2,856 people discharged after recovering from the disease, according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.

MORE READING!  I'm thinking of suicide, OOU student delayed from graduating over a course cries out

On March 4, President Muhammadu Buhari announced a nationwide lockdown to check the spread of the virus and extended the lockdown on May 4.

Ohiri, who is also the Chief Executive Officer of Hi-Tech Diagnostics Ltd., noted that the lockdown had isolated the deadly virus to only metropolitan areas.

“Any plan to relax the lockdown at this time is not advisable because it will trigger community transmission from the metropolitan areas to rural areas.

“Nigeria at the moment has lost over 200 lives to COVID-19 and we cannot afford to lose more. So let government not relax the lockdown for now.”

The monarch also lauded the Federal Government’s efforts so far in containing the virus, urging State Governments to sustain the restriction on inter-state movements.

MORE READING!  George Floyd: Wife of accused cop files for divorce

According to him, as soon the lockdown is lifted, inter-state movements will commence and community transmission will set in.

“A country like Ghana recorded unprecedented 60 per cent increase in COVID-19 infections after relaxing their lockdown.

“This disease is very deadly that even the survivors still suffer damage of one organ or the order, especially the lungs.”

The royal father, however, described speculations of conspiracy theory on COVID-19 as unfounded rumours, saying that proper education was required to prepare people against the virus.

MORE READING!  Body of ex-Edo Commissioner recovered 14 days after abduction

He emphasised the imperative of collective responsibility in the fight against the virus, saying that total adherence to safety measures was key to reducing spread.

Ohiri disclosed that his firm had manufactured testing kits for COVID-19 and that the kits were capable of showing results in five minutes.

NAN

Continue Reading




Trending