Connect with us

News

Edo, Delta top list of stranded Nigerians evacuated from 16 countries

Published

Nigerians from Libya

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) on Friday said it has received another batch of 168 stranded Nigerians evacuated from Libya.

The Acting Coordinator, NEMA Lagos Territorial Office, Ibrahim Farinloye, received the returnees on behalf of the Director-General of NEMA at the cargo wing of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos.

Farinloye told newsmen that the returnees arrived in the country aboard a chartered Al Buraq airline with flight number UZ289/190 at 5:42 a.m after 12 hours delay.

He said that 38 female adults, five female children were returned with 109 adult males, six male children and 10 infants, among others.

He said that this had brought the total number of returnees from Libya from April 2017 to date to 8,096 males and 5,788 females.

“This has brought the total number of returnees brought to Nigeria from 16 countries to 15,731 since April 2017 to date,” he added.

Farinloye, while quoting the summary of the special EU-IOM and Federal Government intervention from 2017 to October 2019, said that Libya had the highest number of returnees with 8,096 males and  5,788 females.

Nigeria returnees from Niger Republic stood at 1,043 males and 556 females; Morocco male 42, female 37; Liberia male eight and female four.

“Burkina Faso male six, female 18,  France male three, female one, while Ireland had only one female, but countries like Polad, Austria, Gambia, Mauritania, Ethiopia had one male each assisted back.

“Chad had one male, two females and Cote D’ivoire had only two females brought back within the period,” Farinloye said.

According to him, “Adults males are 54 per cent, 37 per cent are for female,  while male and female minors stood at four per cent each.

“In the same vein, the distressed migrants brought back per state of origin shows that Edo State topped the list with 40.6%,  Delta 13.3%, Ogun 6.2%, Imo 4.7%, Lagos 4.3%,  Oyo 4.1%,  Yobe 3.6%, Kano 3.1% and Osun with 2.9%, while other states complete the rest.”

He said those who suffered various degrees of torture were 31 males and 21 females, while unaccompanied minors that were assisted back in males were 66 males and 67 females.

MORE READING!  Lagosians have been mistaking Covid-19 for malaria – Commissioner reveals

READ ALSO: Obesity is a sign of corruption, says Ugandan president Museveni [Video]

Farinloye added that those who were kidnapped out of Nigeria, but assisted back to the country were 79 males, 31 females, while single parents male were 41 and female were 616.

He said the total number of pregnant women brought back so far were 439,  while those with various medical issues were 592 males and 804 females.

MORE READING!  117 stranded Nigerians return from Rwanda, Uganda, Tanzania

Migrants assisted back with psychosocial needs are 523 males and 470 females.

 

NAN

News

FG raises penalty for hate speech from N500,000 to N5m

Published

on

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, on Tuesday, reviewed the penalty for hate speech in Nigeria.

Mohammed disclosed the increment in penalty for hate speech from N500,000 to N5 million.

The Minister disclosed this at the unveiling ceremony of the reviewed Nigeria Broadcasting Code organized by the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) in Lagos.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: WAEC releases 2020 WASSCE timetable

A statement signed and issued by Mohammed’s spokesman, Segun Adeyemi said the reviewed code contained the Antitrust provision aimed at boosting local content and encouraging the growth of the local industry, among other provisions.

The statement reads partly:

“The amended Code also includes the provision raising the fine for hate speech from 500,000 Naira to 5 million Naira.

“Alhaji Mohammed clarified that the amendments were necessitated by a Presidential directive, in the wake of the 2019 general elections, for an inquiry into the regulatory role of the NBC with a view to repositioning the regulator for optimum performance.

“He said despite the attacks by some vested interests, who believe that their singular business interest is superior to national interest, over the provisions of the amended Code, the Federal Government remains unperturbed.”

Continue Reading

News

1.5m students to sit for 2020 WAEC exams

Published

on

WAEC

The 2020 West African School Certificate Examination is to be taken by 1,549,463 candidates in 19,129 centres nationwide.

The participants comprise 786,421 males, while the balance 763,402 are females.

The Head of Nigeria National Office (HNO) of the organisation, Patrick Areghan, made the disclosure yesterday in Lagos.

He added that the test, which holds between August 4 and September 5, would run daily from Monday to Saturday.

MORE READING!  72-year-old man dies onboard Air Peace flight

In deference to existing COVID-19 protocols, the HNO said:

“Schools must provide wash-hand buckets with running water, soaps, hand sanitisers and thermometer hand-gun to check the temperature of all concerned.”

He continued:

“All examination functionaries, including the council’s staff on distribution, supervisors, invigilators, inspectors, candidates and school officials will be required to wear face masks, wash and sanitise their hands daily, and throughout the duration of the examination.”

Areghan asserted that the council would adhere strictly to physical distancing in the examination halls by ensuring that candidates sit two metres apart.

MORE READING!  Lagosians have been mistaking Covid-19 for malaria – Commissioner reveals

 

Continue Reading

News

UPDATED: WAEC releases 2020 WASSCE timetable

Published

on

WAEC Candidates

The West African Examinations Council has released the timetable for the 2020 West African Senior School Certificate Examination.

The Federal Government had announced the resumption of graduating pupils beginning August 4, noting that WASSCE would begin effective August 17, 2020 through September 12, 2020.

WAEC Nigeria in a statement on Tuesday signed by its Head of Public Affairs, Demianus Ojijeogu, advised candidates to disregard other versions of the examination timetable in circulation.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Osun to fine worship centres, hotels, bars, private hospitals

The statement was titled, ‘WAEC Releases Timetable For The Conduct Of West African Senior School Certificate Examination For School Candidates, 2020’.

The statement read,

“The West African Examinations Council, Nigeria wishes to inform its stakeholders-schools, parents and candidate-that the Final International Timetable for the conduct of WASSCE for School Candidates, 2020 has been released.

“The Council notes that several versions of the examination timetable have been in circulation and enjoins the general public to disregard them as they did not emanate from it.

“The examination which has been slated to begin on Monday, August 17, 2020 will end on Saturday, September 12, 2020.

“The Council hereby urges the candidates to abide by the rules and regulations guiding the conduct of the examination by shunning all acts of malpractice and obeying all Covid-19 protocols that have been put in place at the examination centres.

“This is wishing the candidates success in the examination.”

 

MORE READING!  Lagos lists guidelines for reopening of schools on Monday

 

 

 

 

PUNCH

Continue Reading




Trending