Connect with us

News

ENSG demolishes sinking three-storey building in Enugu

Published

The Enugu State Government (ENSG), on Saturday, demolished a sinking three-storey building within the Maryland Layout axis of Enugu South Local Government Area, Enugu metropolis.

Newsmen report that the ground floor of the building, located at number 9, Egwuekwe Street, Maryland Layout, instantly caved-in at about 2 a.m. on Saturday living the rest of the building in a perilous situation.

Speaking to newsmen while inspecting the sinking building, the State’s Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Mr Greg Nnaji, expressed sadness over the inability of individuals to follow adequate procedures of constructing buildings.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: FG to announce details for third phase of lockdown on Thursday

Nnaji said that his ministry would ensure proper investigation of the immediate and remote causes of the building collapse.

“I will advise people living around the affected building to vacate the environment because it is not safe for them until investigation about the cause of the incident is carried out,’’ he said.

Also speaking, Chairman of Enugu State Capital Territory Development Authority, Chief Joseph Onoh, said that while the investigation is ongoing; the remaining structure would be demolished and pulled down for public safety.

MORE READING!  72-year-old man dies onboard Air Peace flight

Onoh, who arrived at the scene with equipment, said it would be totally demolished so that nobody would occupy it under any guise to avoid recording human casualty for the state.

Earlier, some of the occupants of the building, Mr Lazarus Okoye, Mrs Rita Chukwu and Mr Ugochukwu Okorie, said they heard a mysterious sound around 2 a.m. early on Saturday.

MORE READING!  FG to resume Digital TV broadcasting- Lai Mohammed

However, they said that they never knew it was the sound of the sinking ground floor of the building they heard.

The occupants appealed to the state government and good spirited individuals to come to their aid.

At the time of filing this report, over 50 per cent of the remaining building had been demolished by the Enugu State Capital Territory Development Authority.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

NAN

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

FG raises penalty for hate speech from N500,000 to N5m

Published

on

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, on Tuesday, reviewed the penalty for hate speech in Nigeria.

Mohammed disclosed the increment in penalty for hate speech from N500,000 to N5 million.

The Minister disclosed this at the unveiling ceremony of the reviewed Nigeria Broadcasting Code organized by the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) in Lagos.

MORE READING!  China loan: Nigeria will pay back in 20 years- Amaechi

A statement signed and issued by Mohammed’s spokesman, Segun Adeyemi said the reviewed code contained the Antitrust provision aimed at boosting local content and encouraging the growth of the local industry, among other provisions.

The statement reads partly:

“The amended Code also includes the provision raising the fine for hate speech from 500,000 Naira to 5 million Naira.

“Alhaji Mohammed clarified that the amendments were necessitated by a Presidential directive, in the wake of the 2019 general elections, for an inquiry into the regulatory role of the NBC with a view to repositioning the regulator for optimum performance.

“He said despite the attacks by some vested interests, who believe that their singular business interest is superior to national interest, over the provisions of the amended Code, the Federal Government remains unperturbed.”

Continue Reading

News

1.5m students to sit for 2020 WAEC exams

Published

on

WAEC

The 2020 West African School Certificate Examination is to be taken by 1,549,463 candidates in 19,129 centres nationwide.

The participants comprise 786,421 males, while the balance 763,402 are females.

The Head of Nigeria National Office (HNO) of the organisation, Patrick Areghan, made the disclosure yesterday in Lagos.

He added that the test, which holds between August 4 and September 5, would run daily from Monday to Saturday.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: FG to announce details for third phase of lockdown on Thursday

In deference to existing COVID-19 protocols, the HNO said:

“Schools must provide wash-hand buckets with running water, soaps, hand sanitisers and thermometer hand-gun to check the temperature of all concerned.”

He continued:

“All examination functionaries, including the council’s staff on distribution, supervisors, invigilators, inspectors, candidates and school officials will be required to wear face masks, wash and sanitise their hands daily, and throughout the duration of the examination.”

Areghan asserted that the council would adhere strictly to physical distancing in the examination halls by ensuring that candidates sit two metres apart.

MORE READING!  Governor Umahi, daughter and aides recover from Covid-19

 

Continue Reading

News

UPDATED: WAEC releases 2020 WASSCE timetable

Published

on

WAEC Candidates

The West African Examinations Council has released the timetable for the 2020 West African Senior School Certificate Examination.

The Federal Government had announced the resumption of graduating pupils beginning August 4, noting that WASSCE would begin effective August 17, 2020 through September 12, 2020.

WAEC Nigeria in a statement on Tuesday signed by its Head of Public Affairs, Demianus Ojijeogu, advised candidates to disregard other versions of the examination timetable in circulation.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: FG to announce details for third phase of lockdown on Thursday

The statement was titled, ‘WAEC Releases Timetable For The Conduct Of West African Senior School Certificate Examination For School Candidates, 2020’.

The statement read,

“The West African Examinations Council, Nigeria wishes to inform its stakeholders-schools, parents and candidate-that the Final International Timetable for the conduct of WASSCE for School Candidates, 2020 has been released.

“The Council notes that several versions of the examination timetable have been in circulation and enjoins the general public to disregard them as they did not emanate from it.

“The examination which has been slated to begin on Monday, August 17, 2020 will end on Saturday, September 12, 2020.

“The Council hereby urges the candidates to abide by the rules and regulations guiding the conduct of the examination by shunning all acts of malpractice and obeying all Covid-19 protocols that have been put in place at the examination centres.

“This is wishing the candidates success in the examination.”

 

MORE READING!  China loan: Nigeria will pay back in 20 years- Amaechi

 

 

 

 

PUNCH

Continue Reading




Trending