Connect with us

News

Enugu collapsed building: Police give update

Published

The Police Command in Enugu State has said that no life was lost in the collapsed three-story building under construction in Enugu metropolis.

The Command’s Public Relations Officer, SP Ebere Amaraizu, said this in a statement in Enugu on Friday.

Amaraizu said that the incident took place on Wednesday around Monarch Avenue axis of Independence Layout in Enugu metropolis.

“From preliminary investigations, it is clear that no life was lost in the incident and no other property was lost rather than the collapsed building under construction.

“The members of the public should discountenance any other information to the contrary on the incident being circulated in the social media,’’ he said.

According to him, the cause of the incident is yet to be established.

“Investigation on the incident is still on as the Command plans to get to the bottom of the matter,’’ he said.

However, an eyewitness, Mr Clifford Eze, said that the collapsed might be due to the use of sub-standard building materials and engineers to execute the project.

MORE READING!  Over 400 ghost teachers uncovered in Benue

Eze, who is one of the residents of the area, said that the blockwork for the uncompleted building had already been completed and was at the verge of being roofed.

News

Covid-19: FG approves gradual reopening of international flights

Published

on

The Presidential Task Force (PTF), on COVID-19, has approved the gradual reopening of international flights and train services across the country.

Newsmen report that this was part of the decisions reached at the end of the second extension of the second phase of eased lockdown.

Mr Boss Mustapha, the Chairman of PTF and Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), said this while speaking at the daily briefing of the PTF on Thursday in Abuja.

He said,

“It’s important to ensure that restrictions are not completely relaxed in order to control transmission.

“It is also important that at this Community Transmission Phase of the pandemic sub-national governments step up to take more responsibilities by owning the response.

“To sustain gains already made, therefore, the PTF recommended to the President the retention of the current phase of the response with minor changes to address economic, socio-political and health concerns.

“It is, however, important to inform you that the major changes being proposed are aimed at achieving the following:

“Gradual re-opening of international air flights within established parameters;

“Re-opening of rail transportation within established parameters”.

Mustapha also granted permission to exit classes to resume ahead of examinations and allowing civil servants from Grade Level 12 to resume work, and also the opening of recreational parks for supervised exercises.

MORE READING!  We’re committed to finding vaccine, says Osinbajo

Also speaking, the Coordinator of PTF, Dr Sani Aliyu, said the PTF had communicated to the aviation ministry to begin processes of reopening international flights.

Aliyu also noted that one of the new requirements would be to ensure that international passengers arrived three hours before departure to ensure proper checks before takeoff.

MORE READING!  FG rescues 30 Nigerian ladies stranded in Lebanon

He further stated that if all requirements from the aviation sector were made the resumption of international flights would be a matter of weeks and not months.

Answering a question from the media, the Minister of Aviation, Sen. Hadi Sirika, explained that the aviation sector was ready to open any moment.

Sirika also explained that international flights would open as soon as it was safe to operate as all efforts were being put in place to ensure the reopening in weeks and not in months.

MORE READING!  How 'confused' policeman allegedly let kidnap suspects escape in Enugu

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

NAN

Continue Reading

News

Covid-19: Yobe announces reopening of schools

Published

on

Yobe State government has announced August 8, 2020, as the date for the reopening of schools across the state.

The new date applies to all boarding schools in the state while academic activities will commence in all schools on August 11, 2020.

The State Commissioner for Basic and Secondary Education, Dr. Mohammed Sani Idris announced this in Damaturu Thursday while briefing journalists on the preparedness of the state to reopen schools after their closure about four months ago due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

MORE READING!  Chinese loans: $400m project abandoned after completion

He said:

“Yobe State Ministry of Basic and Secondary Education wishes to inform the general public that SS3 and boarding Junior Secondary School students should unfailingly resume on 8th August, 2020.

“While Private schools and Government Day Secondary Schools (GDSS) students should resume on 11th August, 2020.

“The Ministry equally advises all students to come with their facemasks, as school authorities will also provide all preventable measures against the pandemic.”

The Commissioner also noted that

“Gov. Mai Mala Buni has assured that Yobe state will always abide by all preventable guidelines provided by the federal government.

He urged all SS3 students to prepare themselves well for the WAEC which will commence August 17, 2020 in order to get the best results and make the state proud.

“We are determined to reverse the negative educational statistics associated with our state. We therefore call on the students to read hard and make the state proud,” Dr. Sani said.

Continue Reading

News

Over 400 ghost teachers uncovered in Benue

Published

on

Benue state teaching service board has disclosed that it has uncovered 433 ghost workers, including 18 dead persons in its payroll.

The board’s executive secretary, Frank Kyungun made the disclosure on Wednesday, August 5 while presenting the report of the screening exercise recently conducted by the board to Governor Samuel Ortom.

He said;

“The screening uncovered 433 ghost workers on the payroll after verification of 4,473 staff across the three senatorial zones of the state. 

“The screening committee also uncovered 18 dead persons, 70 retired staff, 193 redeployed staff, among other irregularities on the payroll, who were accordingly expunged.”

Commenting on the report, Governor Ortom said he has constituted a committee to immediately implement the committee’s recommendation. Dennis Ityavyar, the state commissioner for education, has been appointed to head the committee.

MORE READING!  Afenifere leader, Ayo Fasanmi, buried in Ekiti home

He said;

“Those who had milked the board through ghost workers must be identified and prosecuted.

“The ghost names should be immediately deleted from the payment voucher”.

Continue Reading




Trending